It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2010, 06:44 AM   #1
(female)

KazaJ HB User
Side effects of Degranol

My 24 year old son was diagnosed with epilepsy in August 2007. Since being on Degranol (1000 mg per day), he seems to have lost control of his emotions, and has become extremely aggressive and argumentative. Could this be a side effect of the Degranol or is it simply having to live with epilepsy? He has also developed IBS, and cannot tolerate any dairy products. Every time he has a seizure he dislocates either just his right shoulder, or both! Can anyone help me to help my amazing son, who feels that he has no life at all at the moment. He is highly intelligent, has completed writing 2 fantasy novels, and is busy programming a computer game.
Thank you. KazaJ

Old 05-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
(female)

silverkitty HB User
Re: Side effects of Degranol

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazaJ View Post
My 24 year old son was diagnosed with epilepsy in August 2007. Since being on Degranol (1000 mg per day), he seems to have lost control of his emotions, and has become extremely aggressive and argumentative. Could this be a side effect of the Degranol or is it simply having to live with epilepsy? He has also developed IBS, and cannot tolerate any dairy products. Every time he has a seizure he dislocates either just his right shoulder, or both! Can anyone help me to help my amazing son, who feels that he has no life at all at the moment. He is highly intelligent, has completed writing 2 fantasy novels, and is busy programming a computer game.
Thank you. KazaJ

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
(female)

silverkitty HB User

Hi, I have awful fall outs on Degranol. Ask your doc for Tegretol the active ingredient is the same : carbomazepine but the carrier is different.
I will never swallow degranol again but happily manage a productive , busy life on the Tegretol.
Lara

Old 05-10-2010, 12:07 AM   #4
(female)

KazaJ HB User

Hi, Silverkitty. Many thanks for your reply. I do appreciate it. My son was originally on Tegretol, and due to financial problems, we were forced to change to Degranol. Last year my pharmacist was given 2 months supply of Tegretol by the wife of a patient who had died, and he passed these on to me for my son at no charge. About 2 weeks before the Tegretol were finished, my son had a MAJOR seizure, lasting almost 12 minutes, and severely dislocating both shoulders. My GP told me that he should never have changed back to Tegretol. I am at my wit's end! Just don't know what to do, or who to believe anymore! Since going back to Degranol, he has not had a seizure since 30th December 2009.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:02 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

Degranol IS Tegretol from what I can find out online. Medications are under different names worldwide. Carbamazepine is the drug in Tegretol.

I had reactions to one generic when I moved. Something in it caused me to lower my threshold for seizures. I had to go an extra 15 miles to the previous pharmacy to obtain the previous one that didn't cause problems.

As a child I had problems (reactions) caused by cow milk. I had to switch to goat's milk (fresh from the farm) so I could have dairy products. Other dairy products (cheese) didn't seem to cause problems. I grew out of that allergy in a couple of years.

I was on some form of carbamazepine for (thinking) just under 30 years. When they were able to get me off of it last year, what a change. The only way I can describe it is "a cloud was lifted" from my mind. It was a noticeable difference. Even the doctors said I seemed quicker in response. I never expected a medication to have that effect. Other medications are much more noticeable in the effects.

It is interesting when people compare the dose they are on. I had always been on a higher dose, 1200-1600 on average; 2200 at maximum. Only when on the higher dose did I notice the side effects. As long as the blood levels tested by the doctor are within the usual range, and the range the patient has shown, I wouldn't worry.

--Travis

Closed Thread