It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
(male)

magicpharm HB User
Need your help...is this seizure or fainting?

I need your help: is this seizure or fainting
I was at a concert with my girl friend and she tells me she want to go to washroom. As she is walking there, she suddenly stops turns 120 degrees, lowers her head smiles and points at something at the bar as if she recognized someone there or something interesting was happening (which was not the case). Then she starts walking towards the bar. The walking and facial gestures didn't look normal so I grab her and she has a glossy look. Then she collapses on the floor. After 30-60 sec, she regains her consciousness and she doesn't remember any of this but she was not confused. She knew location, recognized every one and was all around normal.
She didn't remember collapsing or walking and pointing.
She is extremely skinny and doesn't eat properly, maybe mildly anorexic.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2010, 11:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: Need your help...is this seizure or fainting?

Very possible to be a seizure. Have items such as flashing lights ever effected her (do you know)? Sounds like an SP (simple partial) that may have transitioned into a CP (complex partial).

If she has "found herself on the floor" before, not knowing why, THAT could be an indication it MIGHT be "drop seizures".

Didn't sound like there was a "recovery time" after it happened. By that I mean the seizure was followed by confusion, speech problems, vision problems (loss of bladder) to name a few of the post-seizure things that can happen in persons with epilepsy.

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

magicpharm: It could have been a seizure but since you said she doesn't eat right, and could be anorexic, she could have low blood sugar. Low sugars can sometimes cause seizures too. It sounds like she needs to get to the doctor so they can do some tests on her to see what's going on. A CT Scan, EEG, and MRI are the main tests they do.

Since she's a female, I'd have her hormones checked too. Research Catamenial Epilepsy and see if that could be a cause for her.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
(male)

magicpharm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis from MN View Post
Very possible to be a seizure. Have items such as flashing lights ever effected her (do you know)? Sounds like an SP (simple partial) that may have transitioned into a CP (complex partial).

If she has "found herself on the floor" before, not knowing why, THAT could be an indication it MIGHT be "drop seizures".

Didn't sound like there was a "recovery time" after it happened. By that I mean the seizure was followed by confusion, speech problems, vision problems (loss of bladder) to name a few of the post-seizure things that can happen in persons with epilepsy.

--Travis
She has had these episode in the past. About 1-2 a year.

There was no recovery time. When she came to it, she was pretty normal. No confusion, no speech problems or anything. At NO point was there any convulsion.

My main question is can we rule out fainting (syncope) based on the fact that she walked and stared and pointed during the episode. Are these pretty certain diagnosing criteria for seizure.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:41 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

If it's 1-2 a year that sounds like it is not a one time incident. It should be checked by a Neurologist or Epileptologist.

If it only occurred once, and never before (or after) a person wouldn't have to worry as much. I think a persons internist/GP would agree on seeing a Neuro with the information you stated. JUST to be on the safe side. Repeat seizures, even if over time, indicate it's something. Exactly what I wouldn't even try to guess.

Could it (or other people's) have been caused by other factors? Sure. However, unless a undiagnosed persons seizures occur under the same conditions every time the few have happened, you can't point the finger to anything specific. Possible if they all occurred in high stress situations, or times sleep was lacking.

Best to be safe and encourage her make an appointment.

--Travis

Closed Thread