It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
(female)

keecas37 HB User
Question Do you think my employer overreacted?

I'm a 38-year-old female with epilepsy since age 6. I've been on Dilantin since then and the seizures are mostly controlled (only three grand mal seizures in 20 years).

Anyhow, I'll get to the question. I've been overstressed at work (not had a vacation in a long time) and then over a week ago, I had a severe reaction to a medicine I started which caused me to be very confused, very agitated, and also caused me to have an absence seizure where I left some confidential information in the company freezer and sent an e-mail -- both of which I do not remember.

My employer of 17 years proceeded to put me on paid FMLA leave for two weeks. After four days, I was ready to go back to work, but they were adamant that I be gone for the full two weeks. They also ordered that I go see a neurologist (my long-time neurologist retired in late 2008, and I've since been maintained on Dilantin from my primary care physician.)

Do you think they were genuinely concerned about my health, or do you think they overreacted? (I admit I do need a vacation, but this was not quite the way I had envisioned it.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: Do you think my employer overreacted?

they were probably just following procedures and also concerned for your well-being.....how are things now?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #3
(female)

keecas37 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosequartz View Post
they were probably just following procedures and also concerned for your well-being.....how are things now?
A lot better ... I am now off that medication (Pepcid) which caused the severe reaction. I could have returned to work earlier this week, but they would not let me. I am scheduled for a return date of June 7th. When I had to go in on Tuesday to take care of some business, some of the staff kind of treated me funny (maybe I was imagining things) ... but then again I just chalk it up to ignorance, because you know how rumors get passed around. They probably think I had a grand mal seizure and almost died ... because you know how gosh darn ignorant most people still are when it comes to epilepsy -- even those in the medical field.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

glad to hear you're feeling better.....take the next few days and relax!

Old 06-21-2010, 11:22 AM   #5
(female)

Coffemate2 HB User

I know you're back at your job, but lots of people forget where they leave things, and whether they sent off an email.

Closed Thread