It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2010, 07:31 AM   #1
(female)

Cblair1230 HB User
Non Epileptic Psychogenic Seizures??? HELP PLEASE

I am hoping that someone can give me some insight, because I am truly at my wits end…
My fiancé (34 year old male, no other medical problems) as experienced absence seizures for most of his adult life. He was diagnosed as an epileptic at age 11, but was then taken of meds for a number of years. He was put back on anti-seizure medication at the age of 18 after a grand mal, and has experienced problems ever since.
Currently he is experiencing “space outs” which resemble absence seizures. However, these last for 10-45 minutes at a time, with an average of 20 minutes. During this time, his head lolls to one side, his eyelids droop, his mouth in flax and open. He can respond to questions, but requires being asked the question numerous times. Usually, his response does not make sense. (For instance, I asked him who was winning the football game that he was watching, and he responded ‘everyone’, when asked again, it was ‘Farve’s team’… both were incorrect.) People usually assume that he is very inebriated if this happens around people that are not aware of his condition. Sometimes, he becomes verbally combative (which is completely out of character for him.) After the space out has run its course, it’s almost like a switch was flipped and he is instantaneously back to normal. He usually cannot remember what happened while he was out of it.
He is currently on Keppra, Tegretol, and Celexa (anti depressant) The Celexa was added after our last doctor’s appointment. I had researched non-epileptic psychogenic seizures and had brought my concerns to the neurologist. After viewing a video I have of the episodes, he thought that maybe his space outs were not of epileptic origin. He is scheduled for an ambulatory EEG next Monday, and because no hospital in our area offers a Video EEG, I will be videotaping him myself.
Has anyone been through anything similar? He is currently out of work, because the doctor thought that the space outs may be caused from stressed, but he is still experiencing daily episodes. I know that he is frustrated with the whole thing, and I am becoming more and more frustrated as well. I feel like I ‘lose’ him for large periods of time, and the stress is definitely affecting our relationship.
Help please!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Cblair1230 For This Useful Post:
siezurdontrulme (06-28-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2011, 01:42 AM   #2
(female)

siezurdontrulme HB User
Exclamation Re: Non Epileptic Psychogenic Seizures??? HELP PLEASE

Hi, I have been dealing with Psycogenic aka pseudo seizures for the past 3 years. here are my symptoms that happens in order. I get extremely tired out of no where, very dizzy, everything gets blurry,my heart feels like its going to jump out of chest I get cold from the inside out. I go into what they call stare off seizures. Next thing I know I wake up on floor or in my moms lap, or husband. and I am in alot of pain. then I am told I had a seizure, doctors and family conclude the same details, That my entire body goes into convulsions, my spine is arched. My pupils get extremely big. some times I druel. when coming out of the convulsion seizure I end up going into stare offs and see colors some times. Seizures are different in different people. I have had over500 seizures in the past 3 years. Some times even back to back.
When I first started out. I was in high school and misdiagnosed with Hypoglycemia. It has been a long process on March 17,2008 I was working at a Christian organization. I did the interior decor for the store. I alwayz felt like i needed to go go go. My mind would go 100-1000mph still thinking it was hypoglycemia I was eating as if I was. Checking my blood all that good stuff. I started getting the weird feelings only this time worse then normal. I ended up calling my mom telling her I didnt feel right. People were making me drink orange juice, eating. then I became incoherent and I woke up to the paramedics putting oxygen on me. The paramedics asked my mom does she ever do anything for attention? Im sure you may have been asked this too. Alot of people with this "disease" end up being treated as if your faking. well definitely it is not and was not the case. I was told it was my first convulsion seizure this seizure last for 45mins! it was NOT a good day. I was taken to the hospital by ambulance where I had 2 more seizures then at the hospital the treated me like I was faking , or trying to get attention. They ended up monitoring me . In the hospital I had another seizure. They ended up having to use Lorazepam to get me to come out of it. Then they did everything from blood to cat-scans, and MRI's, neurologists heart monitor, etc. Then they sent in a Psychologist that was cocky asking me if I did drugs if I was sure i didn't do drugs or drink. then he saw the test showed NO i Dont. Then he told me that He thinks I need to go see another Psychologist, so they referred me to Dr.Khan which is an amazing Psychologist, He then did a whole lot of tests finally after all the test through the years. He asked me do I ever feel or nervous or feel like I worry more then I should? my answer= YES and then he asked me about the different symptoms. He then said He wanted to do more tests more neurologists cat scans,etc EKG, EEG'S etc. so we did. So he finally ruled out epilepsy, grandmal, and found out it was Psycogenic /aka Pseudo seizures which is brought on through anxiety and stress. I was diagnosed with GAD as well Generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder. Dr.Khan ended up prescribing me Lorazepam 1.5mg, and Paxil 20 mg, He also sent me to therapy. since then as to present I have decreased to 10mg of Paxil and the lorazipam is still the same. I recently went 3 months seizure free. However I was told traumatic experiences that you have suppressed can cause it. I was like Im not hiding anything! I Dont hold on to the past. However I learned that I did... I blocked some past situations out so I wouldn't have to think about them.. then I learned apparently lol that's a bad Idea... It can be something as little to your dad yelled at you when you were little. to watching someone die in front of you. It comes from your subconscious. The way my therapist described it to me is your subconscious is kind of like a kid part of the brain, and it stores stuff like from your childhood, and traumatic experiences, anxiety,etc So I learned that my seizures are brought on through stress and anxiety. I do feel re-leaved after I talk to my therapist and get stuff off my chest. What the therapist does is not only listen, but also teaches techniques to help you with your anxiety and your seizures. I tried to tell them im not stressed out what do i have to worry about? apparently lol i was wrong. However a VERY IMPORTANT THING my doctor told me is that NO YOU can NOT CONTROL YOUR SEIZURES YOU CAN NOT FORCE IT TO HAPPEN. I also asked him If It was all in my head. He said No and yes lol
I said so .. does this mean I am crazy? He said NO YOUR not crazy lol. No its not in my head like im not making it up. But yes it is things in your mind that is causing it to happen. Even though you dont mean to or try to. I have learned through my therapist to if I am feeling like I am going to have a seizure to Lay down. Then take a deep breath in and out. to slow my heart. and to think of something like being in rain forest, or surrounded by a waterfall. My Therapist also did Hypnosis on me to help me. Also I bought music that helps me relax like sounds of rain and thunder. I also got meditation cds. to help. All of this seems to help me alot. Because before the sieuzure I go into a panic attack, then the more I feed into it the more anxious I get then it leads into going into a seizure. So If I try to stay calm, I notice I can get past the panic attack and wont have a seizure. I hope this helped and that I didn't confuse you too much. I am still going through therapy but I have learned to embrace it and not get aggravated about it. Also When you want to cry CRY. When you want to Laugh Laugh, Dont bottle stuff up inside. if it helps you to have a journal to write down whats wrong. Then I would rec amend doing that too. oh also Make sure you lay down when you get these feelings so you dont hit your head on anything. If you have any question or anything feel free to ask
Hang in there!

Old 06-27-2011, 07:09 AM   #3
(female)

Practical HB User
Re: Non Epileptic Psychogenic Seizures??? HELP PLEASE

Your post helped me alot. I am at my wits end with my husband's situation...after reading what you said I do believe his 'episodes' are stress realted and are anxiety. I do want him to see a therapist and am working on that...

Old 06-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
(female)

siezurdontrulme HB User

THAT IS WONDERFUL NEWS ! I am so happy I could be of help to you. Hang in there. I know it is hard for the people that help take care of us & for us that have these episodes as well.
Also I found that listening to Lisa Guyman meditation albums helps alot!

Old 07-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
(female)

siezurdontrulme HB User

How are things going now? Has he started to see a therapist yet?

Old 07-23-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
(female)

tncabell HB User

i have...and it sounds more like a complex partial seizure rather then an absence seizure. i have both plus grand mal. my complex ones can last days to weeks and its like i am drunk and i get combative. i usually have a grand mal at the end and then i go back to normal. my dr tried to say i had pseudoseizures (making yourself think you have one) and i fought it and i am glad i did because i have epilepsy. def video tape this and you might want to see a neuropsychologist and neuropsychiatrist while he is like this. idk if you have the epilepsy foundation where you live but they can help you find these drs and they will want to see the video.

Closed Thread