HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Epilepsy (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/epilepsy/)
-   -   New information on keppra and pregnancy!! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/epilepsy/830963-new-information-keppra-pregnancy.html)

030free 01-11-2011 01:34 PM

New information on keppra and pregnancy!!

First a little background, I been seizure free for 3 and a half years post my brain surgery, was only on meds, and trying to conceive. As a posted last year, I was expecting my first baby. I was at the time taking trileptal and Keppra. Unfortunately at 6 weeks I had lost the baby. After doing research and talking to my Neuro they took me off the trileptal and only left me on Keppra 3000mg/day. They felt the trileptal since not many studied had been done on it, could of caused my m/c. Well 2 months after I became pregnant again. Today Im almost 19 weeks pregnant w a girl, and being treated in the High risk OB due to the high levels of keppra. "The News" Yesterday I saw my neuro for my second trimester check up. She told me she went all the way out of state to a Keppra and pregnancy conference to get updates for me (Im currently her only pregnant patient on this med) on how these meds could have effects on my fetus and later developments. Well, after many studies done through the years in Australia, UK, Asia, America and other countries around the world, she told me that Keppra was going to be added to the safe list of medication in which women can become pregnant under. This results were just out Jan 1st, 2011, and she said that the studied showed that placebo had the same effect as those on keprra, which were normal, and they all have healthy babies.

I just wanted to post this and share with those women who are on keppra and are afraid to get pregnant, that there is hope. My pregnancy has gone well so far, and I still been seizure free during my belly. I did join the resgirtry of studies of keppra and pregnancy here on the US, and they are following my entire pregnancy, Im just glad they found great reaults in their past studies, which eases my mind. I wonder how long the company will take to post and update their information on their sites for other women, but Im just happy that studies so far have been positive, and hope they continue to be. Best of luck to all :D

Laura: On keppra 3000mg/daily and expecting baby girl in June 9th, 2011

kmbral215 04-16-2011 07:16 AM

Re: New information on keppra and pregnancy!!

i am currently 4 months pregnant and i have been going insane about taking this med and being pregnant. i've actually been on Keppra for years but i didnt know if it was ok to take while being pregnant but the doctors said it was ok. i looked it up online and i wasnt really taken be anything people said about the medicine,but now i feel much better knowing that this medicine will be safe to take while pregnant.
Thanks!
Kim

030free 04-19-2011 07:39 PM

[QUOTE=kmbral215;4732060]i am currently 4 months pregnant and i have been going insane about taking this med and being pregnant. i've actually been on Keppra for years but i didnt know if it was ok to take while being pregnant but the doctors said it was ok. i looked it up online and i wasnt really taken be anything people said about the medicine,but now i feel much better knowing that this medicine will be safe to take while pregnant.
Thanks!
Kim[/QUOTE]

Yeah Kim, Im 32 weeks now and after having all test done and fetal echo done, baby girl is doing just fine. Heart is normal, and she is a strong girl, moves alot too..lol. Congrats to you and your bub, don't worry your little one will be ok too. Due to me taking this med and having had brain surgery 4 yrs ago, OB wants to induce me first week of June or when I open. Im a little afraid of that, but as long as bbay is ok thats all that matters. Also I asked neuro if baby will have with drawal symptoms from the keppra and she said no, and I can breast feed which I plan to, so that makes me happy too. I wish you all the best!

Laura :wave:

longtalles 05-19-2011 09:12 PM

Hi Laura,
I read with interest your post about Keppra. My daughter is expecting her first baby in September and has been extremely anxious about the development of her baby while on Keppra. She developed epilepsy only four years ago after contracting a very nasty infection and since then has been on about 4 different meds. Keppra has been the best so far but preganancy has excacerbated her seizures and she seems to be in a pattern of one every 5 weeks.
It is wonderful that your pregnancy has been going so well. All the best for next month. I would really like to hear about your baby's progress, it would certainly give my daughter a little bit of reassurance.
Cheers,
Lesley

030free 05-20-2011 08:44 PM

Hi there Lesley,

Its never easy taking epileptic meds and trying to start a family. I was actually on 2 meds last summer, but had a miscarriage so I had my neurologist take me off of one and only keep me on the keppra. I did alot of research and joined the keppra pregnancy registry, to get information and help out future moms on keppra like your daugther. This is how I found out that many women have been on keppra and have had healthy babies. Im currently 37 weeks 2 days, so close to delivery, and my baby girl is doing very well. I have had fetal echo for her heart, and other test done to make sure the keppra had not effect her, and so far everything came back normal. Her heart rate and blood flow is excellent, she has gained the proper amount of weight, now she's 5lbs, 12 oz. and very active in my belly :) Once she is born I will post to let you know how it went, but you can always write me here or inbox me any questions you and your daughter may have. Also I suggest you look up the keppra registry online since we are not allowed to post links here, and have her register. They conduct 3 interviews with her over the phone about her pregnancy and keppra and send you forms to take to the OB and neurologist to fill out, which you mail back to them.
I also wanted to inform you that she might have had an increased in her seizures because she's pregnant and blood volume increases in her body along with increase in her hormone levels that causes her to seize. Ask your neurologist if there is anything else she can take, or can they increase her dose to make sure she don't have seizures, the seizures are more dangerous while pregnant then the actual medicines. I hope they find a solution for her seizures, and hope her pregnancy goes smooth. Keep in touch :D

Laura

longtalles 05-20-2011 08:56 PM

Thanks for your reassurance Laura. All the best with your delivery, would love to hear all about your little girl soon.

Cheers,
Lesley

030free 06-14-2011 04:25 PM

Well my baby girl was born Sunday June 12th. Natural labor 6 lbs 8 ozs, 19 inches, and she's completly healthy , Thank God. All test came back fine, and we were discharged 2 days after. Im breast feeding and using formula, and so far so good. Hope your daughter's pregnancy is going well so far as well, if you have any questions write me. :D

Laura

longtalles 06-14-2011 09:40 PM

Congratulations Laura I am absolutely thrilled for you. Had been watching the calendar and wondering how you were getting on. I am so glad everything went well and that your little girl is thriving. :)
My daughter went for her 24 week check yesterday and all is well. She isn't due until the end of September but the OB is talking about inducing her at the beginning of that month to minimise contact with keppra. Her meds have been upped to 2000mg per day, fortunately she hasn't had another seizure since we last chatted so we are keeping our fingers crossed. She has also been seeing an osteopath and using chinese medicine to help with nausea she gets before a seizure. This has helped a bit she thinks. Anyway she is looking great at the moment and generally feeling well so we must be very thankful.
Hopefully all will continue to be well with you also Laura. Thanks for keeping in touch, your contact has been very reassuring thankyou.
Cheers, Lesley

030free 06-15-2011 07:16 AM

great to hear, I was on 3000mg a day and had no issues so you girl will be fine too. I was also induced at 40 weeks 2 days and given pitocin to start contractions, I asked for the epidural, and felt better after. Baby slept good first night home. I wish you guys all the best with her pregnancy. :wave:

debvid 06-19-2011 09:18 PM

So happy to here your news!!! Congratulations!

kaycei 07-19-2011 01:30 PM

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I was wondering what pregnancy test you ladies had to try. I was on Tegretol when I was pregnant with my two kids and I had to do a blood test, because (I was told) the meds would interact with the urine test. I am now getting suspicous that I may be pregnant again and am wondering if Keppra interferes with an at-home test? Any one know?
Thanks, Kim

030free 07-22-2011 09:53 PM

[QUOTE=kaycei;4803645]Hi everyone, I'm new here. I was wondering what pregnancy test you ladies had to try. I was on Tegretol when I was pregnant with my two kids and I had to do a blood test, because (I was told) the meds would interact with the urine test. I am now getting suspicous that I may be pregnant again and am wondering if Keppra interferes with an at-home test? Any one know?
Thanks, Kim[/QUOTE]

Hi Kim,

You should be able to take a home test and will work fine. I Know women on tegretol that have used them, and gotten correct results. I also tested when i was on 2 diferent epileptic meds and they also worked. I never heard of the meds that blocks these results but it should work. I use First respond which you can use a week before you miss period, and i also try EPT just as a second confirmation, but one should be good enough. Good luck to you, and Congrats if you are.

Laura

030free 07-22-2011 10:01 PM

Lesley, how is your daughter's pregnancy progressing? I took my baby to her second Dr appoinment today. My baby girl is doing great. She gained weight, born at 6 lbs 8 ozs and now 9lbs 6ozs. and grown from 19 to 22 inches. She'll be 6 weeks tomorrow and only on breast milk. I also wanted to know if your daughter had regirtered to the AED Keppra studies. If she hasn't I hope she does its to get more info on pregnant women on keppra. Well, hope you guys are doing well and hope to hear from you soon. Congrats again!! :)

Laura

tncabell 07-23-2011 07:50 PM

i am not pregnant but asked about this and my dr said keppra was considered safe as well.

longtalles 07-24-2011 05:07 AM

[QUOTE=030free;4806259]Lesley, how is your daughter's pregnancy progressing? I took my baby to her second Dr appoinment today. My baby girl is doing great. She gained weight, born at 6 lbs 8 ozs and now 9lbs 6ozs. and grown from 19 to 22 inches. She'll be 7 weeks tomorrow and only on breast milk. I also wanted to know if your daughter had regirtered to the AED Keppra studies. If she hasn't I hope she does its to get more info on pregnant women on keppra. Well, hope you guys are doing well and hope to hear from you soon. Congrats again!! :)

Laura[/QUOTE]
Hi Laura, great to hear from you. Gosh hasn't your little one grown, glad to hear everything is going so well. My daughter is progressing well, seizures still every 5 weeks though but the baby is OK according to the OBS. Her Keppra dose is up to 2000mg and neurologist does not want to increase the dose further at the moment. She has registered with the Australian study which basically is similar to the one you have in the USA. I agree, the more people who register the better the info is going to be for everyone. Our concern is really the development of the baby's brain and the effects the drugs have on intellectual ability in later life. As Keppra is one of the new drugs there isn't much information around which indicates if there is a problem with brain function and future development. It's scary. I guess there are babies out there who are now school age, I wonder if they have experienced learning issues of any kind which can be related to the drug. Have you heard anything about this sort of thing? Cheers, Lesley