It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
(female)

blessedmom11 HB User
Need answers

I have a 14 year old son who began having seizures when he was a year old. Pregnancy was normal, health was fine for the first year but he was a little delayed in normal milestones. (didn't hold head up well until 4 1/2 months or so, didn't sit up until eight months, crawled around a year?) After seizures started he was put on heavy medication for a couple years in order to control them which I believe contributed to more development delays. All meds were stopped at age 5 and the seizures stopped as well. However He had behavior problems, emotional struggles and a massive delay in speech and academics. At this point he is 14 and the above problems are still present and out of control. I have been to countless doctors, therapy, neurologists and so on to even try to get a clear diagnosis on him and always come up empty. We began seeing a new neuro a year ago and an eeg was done which still shows possible seizure activity. She started him on KeppraXR to control any seizures he may be having and also because she thought it could help with his processing and even his migraines. He takes that now and there really is no difference in behavior, or processing. Migraines may have become a little fewer.
My point in all that history is this.... I now have a 14 yr old child who is failing school, withdrawn, and battling depression. He tells me all the time that his brain doesn't work right. He is picked on everywhere because he is so different. He is extremely smart but in the past few months he has regressed to that of a five year old. All he wants to do is play toys with his 5yr old brother. He has a lot of speech delays which I feel holds him back most of all. I am trying to get him in with phycology.
I'm really just looking for any ideas from someone who has been through this or knows someone who has. There has never been a clear diagnosis given to him. I am told he has Autistic tendencies but he does not have autisim. (????) there is so much more to explain of his mind and behavior but it would go way too long on here. If anyone can relate or has any ideas please contact me. Any help is greatly apprieciated! THANKS!

The following user gives a hug of support to blessedmom11:
twinn1 (03-08-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
(male)

bluecarob HB User
Re: Need answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom11 View Post
I have a 14 year old son who began having seizures when he was a year old. Pregnancy was normal, health was fine for the first year but he was a little delayed in normal milestones. (didn't hold head up well until 4 1/2 months or so, didn't sit up until eight months, crawled around a year?) After seizures started he was put on heavy medication for a couple years in order to control them which I believe contributed to more development delays. All meds were stopped at age 5 and the seizures stopped as well. However He had behavior problems, emotional struggles and a massive delay in speech and academics. At this point he is 14 and the above problems are still present and out of control. I have been to countless doctors, therapy, neurologists and so on to even try to get a clear diagnosis on him and always come up empty. We began seeing a new neuro a year ago and an eeg was done which still shows possible seizure activity. She started him on KeppraXR to control any seizures he may be having and also because she thought it could help with his processing and even his migraines. He takes that now and there really is no difference in behavior, or processing. Migraines may have become a little fewer.
My point in all that history is this.... I now have a 14 yr old child who is failing school, withdrawn, and battling depression. He tells me all the time that his brain doesn't work right. He is picked on everywhere because he is so different. He is extremely smart but in the past few months he has regressed to that of a five year old. All he wants to do is play toys with his 5yr old brother. He has a lot of speech delays which I feel holds him back most of all. I am trying to get him in with phycology.
I'm really just looking for any ideas from someone who has been through this or knows someone who has. There has never been a clear diagnosis given to him. I am told he has Autistic tendencies but he does not have autisim. (????) there is so much more to explain of his mind and behavior but it would go way too long on here. If anyone can relate or has any ideas please contact me. Any help is greatly apprieciated! THANKS!

Old 01-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
(male)

bluecarob HB User

My Son started having Gran Mall seizures at age 15. We put him on ant-seizure Meds. but all they did was make him gain weight and become aggressive. Took him to a DAN. Doctor who put him on supplements with mixed success. We started him on GLA Forte about 4 weeks ago with No seizure activity since we put him on it. GLA Forte is made by Metagenics.
Might be worth a try for those who are open to supplements.

Last edited by bluecarob; 01-28-2011 at 10:27 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to bluecarob For This Useful Post:
blessedmom11 (01-28-2011)
Old 01-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
(female)

blessedmom11 HB User

Thanks for responding. I have battled so many meds in the past 13 years and they have all made things worse instead of better. The one hes on now(KeppraXR) really has no seen affect. I honestly don't know if it does anything for him. I don't blame meds for his change in behavior at this time, He is at the age he knows he is different and he is constantly told so by his peers. I just want a clear diagnosis from a doc (or anyone) and want some help for him. I just don't know where to turn anymore. As depressed as he is I feel myself sinking so low. Nothing could be worse than watching your child suffer for no reason. Sorry for the pity party there. I am just starting to feel hopeless!

Closed Thread