It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
(male)

saavedra HB User
Question Complex Partial, Petit Mal, Interictal Spike, Aura?

I have a question about symptoms & terminology: Prior to losing consciousness in a grand mal/tonic clonic seizure, I experience five to fifteen minutes of worsening breathlessness, pinpoint electrical shocks to my head & chest, & confusion (can't finish a thought or speak clearly). It functions like an aura, in that it's a signal that worse is coming. But maybe this is a complex partial seizure headed toward generalization? Because I sometimes experience the same symptoms on their own-- either as a handful of isolated spikes or as a debilitating storm that can make me helpless for hours. It's the most acutely helpless feeling when it goes on like that, because I'm conscious (if confused). I wish there was something I could do about it in the moment (before it escalates to the point where I can't even complete a thought), but frankly I don't even know what it is.

It happened again today--twice. The first instance went on for two hours, until I calmed enough to sleep. The second instance sparked on waking.

I did something different the second time, though: I could feel phlegm in my nose, sinuses, & throat. Since difficulty breathing was primary, I just focused on cledaring airways, first by inducing vomiting. Naturally, my eyes teared, my nose ran, my sinuses started to cledar, I breathed, and the shocks stopped. I always thought about breathing difficulty as a symptom, but maybe it's a trigger? Obstructed airway?

I still don't know what's going on, but it felt like a gross little victory.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread