It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
(male)

PPlex HB User
On Lamictal - Question on my seizures

I had my first seizure at age 7, and have probably had 20 since then. I am now 28 years old. The seizures occur maybe once or twice a year. They are bad grand mal seizures lasting up to a minute. I take 800 mg of Lamictal a day. So I generally have them under control due to the meds. Usually they result from lack of sleep. And they generally always happen in the morning, or middle of night if I get up to go to the bathroom or get a drink of water.

Every once in awhile I have this brief episodes where my arms and head start shaking, and I kind of start losing my balance, legs giving out....but I don't fall. I don't completely lose consciousness, and the episode can be as brief as a few seconds. These episodes also always happen in the morning, and seem to occur if I am in the midst of thinking about alot of stuff.

Anyone else have this type of thing happen.

Also, in a more general sense, my last grand mal occured on a morning where I had taken my meds the night before, taken my meds, showered, got out of the shower, was standing in front of the mirror...and BOOM! Out of nowehere. I only had like two drinks the night before, got plenty of sleep, and was not really in any stress. Why are these happening so randomnly and out of nowhere???!!!!

Old 02-26-2011, 04:07 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

NJDave HB User
Re: On Lamictal - Question on my seizures

Hi.
Sounds kind of similar to my condition, in terms of age started, frequency, and types. I would say first that even 2 drinks in your case might be enough to do it; especially if you did not get much sleep the night before because you were either out late or the alcohol didn't allow you to get the deep sleep you need (and maybe you had some stressful day ahead of you).

It seems you know the trigger of not enough sleep so you're probably in the same boat of many of us trying to balance the condition with everyday life realities. In addition to being disciplined about sleep and stress, I have found that a low-carb diet has helped both the grand mal and aura type feelings that you describe. I take only 200mg of Lamictal per day but my view on medicine in my case is I am not sure if it is more of a placebo effect than anything else... but when my discipline slips a bit, it is comforting to know that it could potentially have my back so to speak.

Also, after numerous tests they never figured out what the medical reason is for my seizures which I have learned to place less importance on than the triggers which are pretty apparent without a doctor.

Good luck,
Rob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread