It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #1
(female)

jamie007 HB Userjamie007 HB User
Folic acid and seizures???

hI THERE, I am a 53 year old female with a history of triggered seizures from strobe light effects. I've had over my life time about 4 or 5 seizures and they were all triggered from strobes of some sort, like the sun filtering through the trees mainly.

So I want to take a multi vitamin and it has 800 mcg of folic acid. i've read soooooo many arguements about if it is safe to take if you have a seizure disorder.

I think i might feel better taking a multi vitamin and this has some B"s and chromium and selenium which are both good for blood sugar as i am also prediabetic..

Any thoughts on this folic acid business, please?
was also wondering if i take folic acid for seizures then stop after a month or two or something would that be a cause for withdrawl seizures from stopping the folic acid?

Last edited by jamie007; 03-19-2011 at 08:23 AM. Reason: added:

Old 03-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
(female)

Krista2882 HB UserKrista2882 HB User
Re: Folic acid and seizures???

Every time I see my neurologist (every six months), he stresses the fact that I should take Folic Acid. I'm actually not sure what the reason is. I know he stresses Vitamin D and Calcium because Tegretol can have an effect on your bones, but I'm not sure why he always tells me to take Folic Acid.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

Well folic acid shouldn't have affects on your seizures. I been on them for many yrs. The reason for my neuro putting me on them is because I was trying to get pregnant, and folic acid reduces the birth defects on the fetus. I been on them for 3 yrs now, my baby is due in 2 months, and although Im seizure freee since my 07' brain surgery, I used to take them before too, but had no side effects, you should ask your neuro why its having such an effect on you, and see what he suggest. Best of Luck!

Laura Taking Keppra & (baby Girl on the way)

Old 03-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
(female)

Well thank you so much for your reply! I'm going to start the vitamins tomorrow as i know they will help me feel better. I have not had seizures from them at all, i've never even taken any, but i read that too much folic acid can cause seizures in some prone to them but i think it was at very very high doses and while at low doses it can help. Congratualtions on the baby! yaaaay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 030free View Post
Well folic acid shouldn't have affects on your seizures. I been on them for many yrs. The reason for my neuro putting me on them is because I was trying to get pregnant, and folic acid reduces the birth defects on the fetus. I been on them for 3 yrs now, my baby is due in 2 months, and although Im seizure freee since my 07' brain surgery, I used to take them before too, but had no side effects, you should ask your neuro why its having such an effect on you, and see what he suggest. Best of Luck!

Laura Taking Keppra & (baby Girl on the way)

The Following User Says Thank You to jamie007 For This Useful Post:
030free (03-22-2011)
Old 03-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
(female)

I have read that folic acid can help prevent seizures and i also read that it can cause one but i read that that was at extremely high doses and that is what i'm confused about, what is a high dose? I guess i wont worry about it but i do feel much better from the responses i got and i feel less anxioius about taking them within my multi vitamin! thanks so much1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDSFska View Post
Every time I see my neurologist (every six months), he stresses the fact that I should take Folic Acid. I'm actually not sure what the reason is. I know he stresses Vitamin D and Calcium because Tegretol can have an effect on your bones, but I'm not sure why he always tells me to take Folic Acid.

Closed Thread