It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
(female)

Beanogirl HB User
Can you drive?

I go for my EEG next week. My neurologist said they can't do an MRI b/c I am pregnant. She told me I'm not allowed to drive. They are thinking I have simple partial seizures. How many of you are allowed to drive? I'm really nervous about not being able to drive anymore. There are no buses here and I don't have much family around. I just found out what I was experiencing are seizures yesterday (or suspected seizures) so it's still sinking in

Old 03-31-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: Can you drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanogirl View Post
I go for my EEG next week. My neurologist said they can't do an MRI b/c I am pregnant. She told me I'm not allowed to drive. They are thinking I have simple partial seizures. How many of you are allowed to drive? I'm really nervous about not being able to drive anymore. There are no buses here and I don't have much family around. I just found out what I was experiencing are seizures yesterday (or suspected seizures) so it's still sinking in
You hit on a lot of the issues I had when my seizures acted up a while ago. I lived in a rural area, had for most of my life. I moved from there to metro so I could have a bus system. When I moved out a few years later, first thing I looked for was a transit system. That gave me about 4 locations to move to. Most were a ways away from family. I guess I just have learned to live with it.

I COULD drive for a few years, then the seizures acted up and the doc's began to try different medications (and have ever since). Have not driven in over 15 years (geeze has it been that long!?!).

No you are not alone. I think it's much harder when we encounter problems like this later in life. Growing up with it as a kid I accepted it as normal.

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
(female)

heyloe HB Userheyloe HB Userheyloe HB User

Hello,

Perhaps in time you will be able to drive again soon depending on what your tests say...
I had my learners permit once about 20 years ago but it didn't get past that, I live in a city with a half decent public transit and have had epilepsy since I was an early teen so it's all I know.
Good luck, I hope everything turns out good for you!

Heyloe

Old 04-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

I am sorry that you have seizure at times. I hope your baby is fine.
I think probably you cannot have any med so you need to stop driving for now. Somehow they have this trial period and after that you may be able to drive if you don't have any seizure anymore. It sounds like it will take a while since you are pregnant.

It is sad that you would not be able to drive. But I need to tell you for your safety as a mother, you should not drive if you will be taking seizure med. or will still have seizure at times. You cannot predict when it is safe to drive.

My late brother sadly passed away 9 years ago due to driving without med given his seizure for 4 years. It is a long story. He got alternative med. and thought he was OK.

In any case, I think it is the patient's right not to drive if there is medical problems. You would need to find support on transportation. The other alternative is to move to a big city that has subways or bus system.
Seizure itself does not kill but you need to be in a safe situation in case it happens.

Good luck,
Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 04-03-2011 at 03:56 PM.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
(female)

cardshark HB Usercardshark HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanogirl View Post
Hi and welcome to the boards! I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing possible seizures. Know that you are not alone and we are all here for one another and will try to answer any questions/concerns you may have! I have been having seizures for 13 years. I also live in a very rural area with no public transportation and have a 30 min. drive just to the grocery store and no, I can't drive. I will tell you I have been on both sides of the driving spectrum. When I first started having seizures I was a teenager and to young to drive so I hadn't experienced the freedom driving allows and while it was hard watching my friends and especially younger family members get to drive and not me; it was not as hard as it is now that I have experienced the freedom driving allows and then have it taken away for something that you had no control/fault over. I had about a year and a half when I had no seizures and was able to get my license then life happened and the seizures started back with a vengence and have been completely out of control since and it has been much harder not driving now than it was before I ever got my license. Now even though I earned my license I can't use it, I bought a car and my younger sister now abuses it and uses it as her trash can, I have to rely on other people to take me anywhere. I can't even attend my church because it isn't the church someone is around to give me a ride to. So I know how hard and frustrating it can.
Hopefully, they will find out you aren't really having seizures or they will quit after your pregnancy is over! Hopefully your baby and the rest of the pregnancy will be fine.
Hang in there and know that we are all here for you! Ask any questions you may have and feel free to vent when needed!
cardshark

Old 05-13-2011, 07:54 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

Beanogirl: You're safer if you stay off the road. Don't make the same mistake I made. I crashed my car 3 years ago and now I can't drive until I'm 6 mo. seizure free. It's not worth it. Rely on everyone you can. I have to rely heavily on my husband and church. I have no family either and live in a rural area as well. Meds don't work for me because it's all about my hormones.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:12 AM   #7
(female)

babyem HB User

I have a history of epilepsy, but haven't have a seizure in a while and I am now able to drive. I was on medication (topiramate) when I turned 17 and was of legal age to drive and was told I wasn't allowed to drive or go on my off-road dirt bike, as it was too much of a risk for my health as well as others. I was taken off the medication for a while, and last year was told I could apply for my license (although there was alot of speculation over the period of time that should elapse after a seizure and without medication).

I have a friend who also has epilepsy, and he has frequent seizures and is currently on medication and will be for life. He has been driving for well over 4 years now, as deemed him fit enough to drive as his medication is keeping him stable. I think if you're stable on your meds. you can drive, as long as you haven't had a fit for so long.

I hope your tests go ok, and that you will at some point be able to drive again x

Old 06-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
(female)

Krista2882 HB UserKrista2882 HB User

I think it depends on state laws about whether you will eventually be able to drive again. In Connecticut, they require a medical form filled out by my doctor every 6 months in order for me to continue driving.
When I had my first gran Mal seizure, I wasn't able to drive for over a month, I think. My doctors wanted to make sure my meds were working successfully before I started driving again. But since then, I've had to have my doctor fill out a medical form every 6 months in order for me to continue driving.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:37 AM   #9
(female)

siezurdontrulme HB User

I too hope your baby is ok and healthy
Some states once your seizure free for at least a certain amount of years will allow you to drive again
I have Psycogenic seizures, I haven't drived since 2008 . I had to give my car to my brother who then sold it to a family that needed a car because they were having a baby. If you look at The positive side of it though You save hundreds from insurance Also Maybe you could talk with your neighbors to take you where you need or call taxi's. Also Some woman after they have babys the seizures are gone. So just keep praying and right now your main focus is that little bundle of joy

Old 07-23-2011, 08:06 PM   #10
(female)

tncabell HB User

i am not allowed to drive until i am seizure free for 90 days and my dr can prove the meds work in preventing the seizures.

Closed Thread