It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
(female)

Snyd24 HB User
Red face Seizure brought on by standing up?

Hi, I'm 24 and have never been diagnosed with epilepsy or any seizure disorder. The first time an "episode" happened to me I was 13 years old. I stood up after eating and blacked out. I don't even remember standing up. I awoke on the kitchen floor surrounded by the broken glass from the bowl that I had dropped. And my dad who saw it happened told me he thought I was having a seizure. I saw a doctor later that day who tested my blood and put me on a heart monitor for a few days. Nothing came of it and it was chalked up to I "just stood up too fast". At the time I was ok with that and went on with my life.
Since this happened I've had MANY dizzy spells when standing. I can typically feel it coming on and I'll just sit down or hold myself up against a wall. I'll get very dizzy and hot and weak for a few seconds, sometimes briefly black out. But then I feel fine afterwards, sometimes I'll feel a bit weak for a couple of hours.
Now, there have only been maybe 5 times or so that I have had an episode where I start convulsing and end up blacking out and waking up on the floor after standing up and feeling the intense dizziness. I'll feel a little confused but I usually figure out what has happened pretty quickly. I remember feeling dizzy, I kind of remember confulsing. I don't remember when I black out or fall.
In the 11 years I've been having this problem I haven't worried too much about it. I now have a 3 month old soon and the latest episode happened today. I didn't bit my tongue, but I bit my lip pretty hard. I am really worried if this happens again when I'm holding my baby.
Any advice/help welcomed, thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread