It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
(male)

brysonsdad HB User
Are these simple partial seizures?

Hi there,

I wondering if a health professional or someone who has simple partial seizures can tell me if these are indeed what I am experiencing. I have explained them to my doctor suggesting they may be simple partial seizures who than sent me for an MRI and than said that I was having simple partial seizures. I am just not 100% convinced as I did not have any during the MRI.

So, they began happening about 6 years ago. Prior to this I never once had anything even remotely close to one. These do not happen often, I can go months even up to a year without having them. But, when I do have them I have a lot of them all in one day, sometimes they can stretch up to two days.

When I wake up (on a day that I have them) I will usually have the first one within an hour. After this I continue to have them all day long even 30-60 minutes.

I try here to describe as best I can the exact experience, they are all exactly the same.

They come on randomly and I do not realize I am having one until I notice my inner dialougie or thoughts are not making any sense. Just before I realize this, it is as if I am having some kind of flashback or remembering something that has happened in the past. Usually within a few seconds I clue in that what I am thinking is not a memory at all and does not make much sense, as soon as I make this realization whatever it is that I was thinking about is gone forever, I cannot recall it, and I am left with a very odd feeling. My breathing feels as if it heightens, no noticable change in heartbeat though, and I also become very warm and even form sweat on my forehead and have what I would best describe as a mild form of nausea. I have never actualy thrown up, but I feel as if I very possibly could. This after effect last for 1-3 minutes and than it is all said and done with. But as I mentioned, the exact experience will repeat itself over and over again throughout the day, and there have been times they have last for two days, but never longer.

Another piece of info that may help in anyone trying to provide me information. After the 5th or 6th time I had one of these days I knew what I was in for. Very curious as to what this thought was that seemed so familiar, and than vanished forever I decided to keep a pen and notepad with me to try to scribble it down before it vanished. Sure enough I was able to get a setence down before it was gone, it seemed to make perfect sense, but once the bad sensations began I looked away to wait until they subsided. Once I was back to normal I looked at what I wrote down, the "memory" I had and it made absolutely no sense what so ever. Just 5 or 6 words together that in no way formed any kind of meaningful sentence. Oddly enough, everytime I just read those words I began having the bad sensations again. After about 24 hours I decided to just toss them, and to this day cannot recall what I wrote on that paper, I am fairly confident though that if even today I were to see those words I would get the bad sensations.

If anyone can offer any insights into my situation I would be forever grateful. Even if it is just a confirmation that these are indeed simple partial seizures, or possibly a new direction to explore, anything at all would be great.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
(female)

itsaheartthang HB User
Re: Are these simple partial seizures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brysonsdad View Post
Hi there,

I wondering if a health professional or someone who has simple partial seizures can tell me if these are indeed what I am experiencing. I have explained them to my doctor suggesting they may be simple partial seizures who than sent me for an MRI and than said that I was having simple partial seizures. I am just not 100% convinced as I did not have any during the MRI.

So, they began happening about 6 years ago. Prior to this I never once had anything even remotely close to one. These do not happen often, I can go months even up to a year without having them. But, when I do have them I have a lot of them all in one day, sometimes they can stretch up to two days.

When I wake up (on a day that I have them) I will usually have the first one within an hour. After this I continue to have them all day long even 30-60 minutes.

I try here to describe as best I can the exact experience, they are all exactly the same.

They come on randomly and I do not realize I am having one until I notice my inner dialougie or thoughts are not making any sense. Just before I realize this, it is as if I am having some kind of flashback or remembering something that has happened in the past. Usually within a few seconds I clue in that what I am thinking is not a memory at all and does not make much sense, as soon as I make this realization whatever it is that I was thinking about is gone forever, I cannot recall it, and I am left with a very odd feeling. My breathing feels as if it heightens, no noticable change in heartbeat though, and I also become very warm and even form sweat on my forehead and have what I would best describe as a mild form of nausea. I have never actualy thrown up, but I feel as if I very possibly could. This after effect last for 1-3 minutes and than it is all said and done with. But as I mentioned, the exact experience will repeat itself over and over again throughout the day, and there have been times they have last for two days, but never longer.

Another piece of info that may help in anyone trying to provide me information. After the 5th or 6th time I had one of these days I knew what I was in for. Very curious as to what this thought was that seemed so familiar, and than vanished forever I decided to keep a pen and notepad with me to try to scribble it down before it vanished. Sure enough I was able to get a setence down before it was gone, it seemed to make perfect sense, but once the bad sensations began I looked away to wait until they subsided. Once I was back to normal I looked at what I wrote down, the "memory" I had and it made absolutely no sense what so ever. Just 5 or 6 words together that in no way formed any kind of meaningful sentence. Oddly enough, everytime I just read those words I began having the bad sensations again. After about 24 hours I decided to just toss them, and to this day cannot recall what I wrote on that paper, I am fairly confident though that if even today I were to see those words I would get the bad sensations.

If anyone can offer any insights into my situation I would be forever grateful. Even if it is just a confirmation that these are indeed simple partial seizures, or possibly a new direction to explore, anything at all would be great.

Thanks
Hi Brysonsdad,
I am not a health professional, but a mother of a 15yr old who has complex partial seizures and your seizures sound very familiar. I highly recommend finding an EPILEPTOLOGIST. We finally found one and my daughter is on the road to surgery in July. Her seizures are always the same so she is a good candidate. She had VEEG monitoring 3 times before finally catching a seizure. Don't give up and follow your gut- get to an epileptologist.
I wish you all the best!

Old 05-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
(female)

reidster HB User
Re: Are these simple partial seizures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brysonsdad View Post
Hi there,

Thanks
I am trying to get a diagnosis as well. My problem sounds similar to yours. I wake up feeling okay, but then later in the morning I start to think that the words I hear on TV or from someone else is a particular phrase. If I try to speak, my words are either stuck or sometimes I hear myself saying this phrase. Evidently what I actually say does not make sense!

I have tried to write down this phrase or repeat it to someone but I am unable to. I also have written something down that I thought would be the phrase that is constantly haunting me, but it does not make any sense when I read it later. I have learned that if I think I hear this phrase to just "let it go". If I try to follow it in my head, I just get more messed up. It has been suggested that I get video EEG monitoring to determine if I am having true epilieptic seizures. I have been having these symptoms for almost 1 year. This confusion can last for only moments, or up to 6-7 hours. These lengthy events occur at the rate of 2-3 per month.

Does anyone know the accuracy of video EEGs?
thanks

Closed Thread