It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
(male)

67Tango HB User
Any safe allergy meds?

Anyone find a safe allergy treatment that works and doesn't increase the risk of seizure? My wife is on Topamax 100mg. She has had three episodes of seizures in the past ten years, all caused by pills (first Eleval, then Flexeril, now Benadryl). Her ears are starting to clog from the allergies.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:29 PM   #2
(female)

heyloe HB Userheyloe HB Userheyloe HB User
Re: Any safe allergy meds?

Hello,

Funny you should post this today, I just had to call my pharmacist to find out if I could take my allergy pills I have in the house and I'm on topamax and depakote (new this past month). There were no reactions listed between them and Reactine which has cetirizine as the active ingredient in it. I have a generic one that has cetirizine and hydroxyzine and it is safe.

Good luck!

Heyloe

p.s. she may want to try a neti pot or a sinus rinse to help with her ears, the sinus rinse helps me with my allergies and it's drug free!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
(female)

cardshark HB Usercardshark HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Tango View Post
Anyone find a safe allergy treatment that works and doesn't increase the risk of seizure? My wife is on Topamax 100mg. She has had three episodes of seizures in the past ten years, all caused by pills (first Eleval, then Flexeril, now Benadryl). Her ears are starting to clog from the allergies.
I am on Zyrtec & Singulair and haven't noticed it affecting my seizures, but I don't know if they interact with AED's because I'm currently not on any.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
(male)

67Tango HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyloe View Post
Hello,

Funny you should post this today, I just had to call my pharmacist to find out if I could take my allergy pills I have in the house and I'm on topamax and depakote (new this past month). There were no reactions listed between them and Reactine which has cetirizine as the active ingredient in it. I have a generic one that has cetirizine and hydroxyzine and it is safe.

Good luck!

Heyloe

p.s. she may want to try a neti pot or a sinus rinse to help with her ears, the sinus rinse helps me with my allergies and it's drug free!
She already does sinus flushes with a neti pot, just needs a boost during this heavy part of the allergy season. I looked up Reactine, it lists seizures as a side effect, so I would reconsider using that one. Thanks for the reply

Old 05-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
(female)

debvid HB User

My daughter has had seizures for at least 13 years. I just found out this week while she was in the hospital having 48 hr veeg,and fMRI that benedryl brings on seizures. She has taken benedryl most of her life for allergies! Wish someone had said something before!!

Debbie

Old 05-23-2011, 08:21 AM   #6
(female)

heyloe HB Userheyloe HB Userheyloe HB User

Hello,

I thought you were talking about risk of interaction with drugs-that is my main thought with drugs and seizures so that's what I was thinking when I responded. No Reactine does not interact with topamax according to the Canadian drug guide.
As for an allergy med that doesn't cause seizures, I couldn't tell you a single one...as far as I know every single one has risk of seizure as a side effect on it but Reactine has been the one I can take with my meds and it doesn't bother me seizure wise and I have not so well controlled epilepsy...there were others I couldn't take like Claritin and Benadryl and ones with sinus relief.

Good Luck, I hope your wife finds some allergy relief!

Heyloe

Old 06-05-2011, 10:42 PM   #7
(female)

Looking4aAnswer HB UserLooking4aAnswer HB UserLooking4aAnswer HB UserLooking4aAnswer HB User

67Tango,

This is new to me and I wasn't aware Benedryl could cause seizures. I used to take Contact many years ago before they changed the content and I really don't know of any other over the counter allergy med(s) that will work sufficiently without causing seizures. I would be very interested to know if you are able to find one that works though, so keep us posted.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
(female)

Missys mom HB User

I use Zyrtec. Do not let her use a decongestant. That can mess with her medicine. Maybe she should consult an allergy doctor about a nose spray. It will really help.

Reply Reply