It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
(female)

Becci90 HB User
Exclamation Just got EEG results....

Hi all,

I've just got my EEG results which were as follows:

Moderately well formed alpha rhythm at 10Hz, intermixed with some slow wave activity.
There is an increase in slow wave activity in response to hyperventilation. Occasional irregular mixed frequency, slightly sharpened activity is seen. This is generalized but more prominent on the right and sometimes contains tiny spikes.

Anyone have any idea what this means exactly? I know its abnormal, but I'm not sure if its normal for an epileptic. At the bottom of the letter is says 'these abnormalities raise the suspicion of an idiopathic generalized epilepsy.'

Can anyone interpret?

Thanks Rebecca

Old 07-23-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
(female)

dogmom HB Userdogmom HB User
Re: Just got EEG results....

Hi Rebecca,
"...these abnormalities raise the suspicion of an idiopathic generalized epilepsy...."

Oh, it's maddening, isn't it? The 'not knowing? Have you had seizures in the past? I had one at 5 months old then nothing until 2005 when my brain decided to go blammo. The ambulance folks dragged me into the ER. DANG! I wish I remembered that trip. Most EMS guys around here are hunky. So the ER physician assigned me to a neurologist who in turn ordered an EEG and MRI. Then he went on vacation to his homeland for three weeks. Lebanon. Upon his arrival....the airport was bombed shortly after his arrival.

Anywho, when he got back, he asked if anyone in his office had called to tell me that my EEG and MRI reports came back abnormal. The EEG showed slowing of this and that and spikes and blah blah blah...the MRI showed I had a small stoke...but it was nothing to worry about.
Anyway, I digress.

Why didn't your doc call you in to his office to discuss the findings?
That's kind of odd. If it's "ideopathic" that usually means that they can't find a cause, or there's no reason why this stuff is happening....as far as I know. They can't figure it out..so the next step would most likely be a MRI.

Let's just hope your doc doesn't decide to go on vacation to Libya or something. If he does, have him say hi to my niece, who is stationed there on a war ship just off the shoreline.

Seriously, your doctor should have a one-on-one with you to discuss the findings ASAP so you're not left wondering.
I wish you the best!
Sheils

Last edited by dogmom; 07-23-2011 at 11:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread