It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2011, 08:09 AM   #1
(female)

Xena515 HB User
Positive experiences on Keppra?

I'm getting ready to wean off the Tegretol and go onto Keppra per my new neurologist's recommendation. I've been reading a lot of negative reports from other posters about their bad experiences on this drug. Does anyone have any good experiences with it. I don't want to go into this with completely negative thoughts and set myself up for a self fulfilling prophecy. I tend to do that at times.

The following user gives a hug of support to Xena515:
rebparedes (09-04-2011)
Old 07-26-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: Positive experiences on Keppra?

Keppra is really simple compared to Teg. Keppra MOST (not all) people can handle 500mg/wk bumps. In some people they need to increase with 250's, or even splitting the 250 in half. It all depends on the person and how their system handles the drug. If you notice anything abnormal that lasts more than a day or seems serious, CALL THE DOC.

Search on here for the terms Keppra and Rage or as I call it, KeppRAGE. In some patients they can have onsets of anger, or bouts of crying that is uncontrollable. This seems to be caused by Keppra.

From my experience, I have had really good luck with Keppra. Only problem I had was when a previous doc bumped me from 3000/day to 4000. I had immediate problems, and was ignored by the doctor. Pay attention, if anything new or abnormal happens make sure you write it down, or if it's a stage that you think calls for it NEVER be afraid to call your doctor or the office (on call doc). That's what they are there for.

Good luck with Keppra. They now have an XR form of it... I guess just see what the doc thinks is best.

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
(female)

Krista2882 HB UserKrista2882 HB User

I've also had a good experience with Keppra. I take 2500 mg / day (along with Tegretol and Lamictal). The only bothersome side effect is weight gain. /

Old 08-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

I have also had an awesome experience with keppra. I was placed on it in the year 2000. It did help reduce my seizures with no side affects. I still underwent surgery in 2007 and became seizure free but still currently take keppra 3000mg/day. I was even able to get pregnant and gave birth to my beautiful daugther now 2 months old. Not everyone has the same effect on the sames medications, but if you have any abnormal feeling just call your neurologist. I soon will be weaning of keppra and be medication free, but overall not a bad experiance. Best of luck to you.

Laura

Old 08-29-2011, 10:11 PM   #5
(male)

RunnersDad HB User

My son has an extensive history of intractable seizures and Keppra has definitely been one of few saving graces for him. It is the only seizure specific medication that he remains on as it is the only one that doesn't inundate him with ridiculous side effects. He is currently on 1000mg daily with no ill effects. I would recommend it based on our experience with it.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
(male)

nate2775 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xena515 View Post
I'm getting ready to wean off the Tegretol and go onto Keppra per my new neurologist's recommendation. I've been reading a lot of negative reports from other posters about their bad experiences on this drug. Does anyone have any good experiences with it. I don't want to go into this with completely negative thoughts and set myself up for a self fulfilling prophecy. I tend to do that at times.
Xena515, I have been on Keppra since it was brand new back in 2000 & have had no side effects. I am currently on 1000 mg tablets 1 in AM, 1 1/2 in EVE (2500 mg daily). I am being switched to Keppra XR 500 mg to keep it in my system longer. I am also taking Carbatrol ER 300 mg. Been on Meds for Complex Partial Seizures for 20 yrs. The benefit of Keppra exceeds the side effects

Nathan

Old 09-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
(female)

rebparedes HB User

HI, Anthony( my husband ) has been on keppra actually its a generic of keppra and has done great on it they just need to monitor your dosage to see what strength you need to be taking. He's been on it for at least 7 years but he also has a implanted device that help with seisures and that has cut them down to mayb 4 a year compared to the 2 aweek he use to have . But to answer your question Keppra has been good for him.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
(female)

Nicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xena515 View Post
Hi There,

I'm on 500 mg of generic Keppra (Levetiracetam), 2x daily. I am doing great on it!
Initially, first wk or two, it made me VERY tired. I could take long naps daily even with 8 hrs of sleep at night. I also found myself moody at times. But no longer.

I have been seizure free for 18 months now and I am on no other meds except the Keppra.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:03 PM   #9
(female)

Synchro12 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate2775 View Post
The benefit of Keppra exceeds the side effects.
To truly believe that, you must not know what the side effects are. Keppra is notorious for causing agitation, irritability, anixiety, and depression (or making those problems worse in people who already have them). This side effect has been well-documented and is the #1 reason patients quit the drug. For me, it not only made these problems worse, but did the exact opposite of what it is supposed to. If a doctor recommends switching to Keppra for any reason you should get a second opinion.

Reply Reply