It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
(female)

dogmom HB Userdogmom HB User
Taken off a plane due to seizure

How embarrassing. Yesterday I was flying back home, after my high school reunion, saw lots of people, went to York Beach in Maine, saw more people, slept all of 4 hours each day..and needless to say...I was pooped and over-stimulated. (throw in a highly energetic and smarter than me visiting child and I was over-whelmed.) Plus this was my first time flying alone since my diagnosis. Oh! And my neuro. had upped both my Topamax and Lamictal by 100 mgs. (slowly...but surely...a bummer. He left my 3,000 mgs of Keppra alone.)

Anyway, back to the airport experience and me being booted off, for a bit. I somehow managed to find my gate and I handed the flight attendant my "Emergency ID" card. It has all of my pertinent info..my hubby's phone number, my neuro's number, meds I take, etc.

She said, "Oh, we don't need that." So I took my seat.Next thing I knew, she was kneeling in front of me and told me I didn't look too good and asked for that card back and wanted to know my age. She left, came back and said for my own protection, the Captain wanted me to have paramedics to look me over.

SHEESH! How embarrassing is THAT? I protested and told her if anything was going on, it would pass. I was just hot waiting to get on the plane and the baby in front of me did a dookey in her diaper and it was grossing me out. I'd be fine.

She insisted. Next thing I knew, I was walking back up to the dookey smelling whatever and sitting in a chair and three very hunkey paramedics were asking a ton of questions and taking my vitals. All was well except for my BP. Whatever. I just wanted to get home.

I refused to go to the hospy, and one of the cuties said I was ok to fly and told the wicked nice flight attendant to make sure I had lots of water. Got back on the plane, feeling realllllly bad I held up so may people and she handed me three cans of water. Took off and I slept the entire 3 hour flight home.

The point of my post? While walking back to the plane she said.."We've had epileptics before but really, we don't know what to do if someone has a seizure. But you at least have some color back in your face so you're fine."

People need to be educated! What if I had a tonic clonic? Would they have turned the plane around because they didn't know what to do? That upset me more than the embarrassment of making people wait to depart when they had people waiting for them on the other end, when I knew my simple partial would pass.

UGGGGH.
Obviously, people need to be educated.

Last edited by dogmom; 08-02-2011 at 03:45 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
(female)

cardshark HB Usercardshark HB User
Re: Taken off a plane due to seizure

Sorry to hear of rough trip back you had.

I agree with you, people need to be educated. The worst part is a lot of the medical field isn't even properly educated. Most of them know what to do for grand-mal seizures and status epilepticus but that is it and very few have a clue what kind of seizure you're having based on symptoms. All the airline staff needed to do was let you sleep, you know you're body and seizures a lot more than they do. I personally think doctors need to figure that out too!
Hang in there and glad you were able to go ahead and take the flight home and get some sleep.
cardshark

Closed Thread