It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
(female)

jacq42 HB Userjacq42 HB User
Question Sodium Valoprate personal pros and cons

Hi all hope your all not so bad today
I'm posting this thread as I'm curious to see what epilepsy sufferers think of sodium valporate?
I've been on various doses for around 6 years and at the beginning I got headaches whilst it was getting into my system,and don't get me wrong my seizures are not as severe as they used to be however the headaches are becoming more of a problem.
I've been given medication to stop them and anti sickness pills but they just don't work,all I can do is go to bed and sleep to make them go away,which is difficult with 2 children to look after.
So I'm thinking do I come off them as I'm still having seizures and stop the headaches?
I know they have other names for this pill I think depokote and epilem?
Anyone else have this problem? Any advice or experiences of taking this medication would be much appreciated,or even a better medication I could suggest to the neurologist.
All advice will be gratefully received
Take care
Jacq

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
(female)

heyloe HB Userheyloe HB Userheyloe HB User
Re: Sodium Valoprate personal pros and cons

Hello,

I have only been on it for about 6 months as my secondary AED and it never really clued in until about 4-6 weeks ago that it was what was causing my headaches. I'd had bad headaches and really bad stomach issues for the first month of taking depakote but most of it has gone, I just get a day here and there of vomiting and then headaches usually in bad weather.

For me it seems worth it though, I have only had a couple of days during the past 6 months when I have had simple partial seizures. I haven't had any complex partial or tonic clonic and I feel like my seizures are very well controlled and they haven't been like this for years, I've tried maybe 5 different meds but I need to be careful...I have allergies and sensitivities to some AED's and just regular medications. So far even with the headaches and stomach upsets, I feel lucky to have found the depakote...the side effects are some of the easiest I've had

So here is my personal take on it...it helps my seizures but sometimes makes me feel shabby...I would rather feel shabby than have seizures like I was before - fair trade off!

Good luck and I hope you get some answers to help!

Heyloe

The Following User Says Thank You to heyloe For This Useful Post:
jacq42 (10-03-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread