It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #1
(female)

mythreechildren HB User
undiagnosed and scared

I don't know what's going on with me. I've had all sorts of tests but no diagnosis. I've had 3 incidents where I 'zone out' and I do not remember events that occur. Two have occurred while I have been driving. The first time I rear-ended my husband at a traffic light on a highway in February. I had my children with me. I did not respond appropriately to the situation. I was talking yet I have NO memory of the impact. I continued driving and made it to my destination. It wasn't for about 30 minutes that I realized something had happened even though I could only remember bits and pieces.

Another incident actually happened at my dr's office in July. I was on the scale and got off and started down a hallway. The nurse told me that I needed to go a different way. She said I told her no. She said yes we need to let the dr look at (the reason I was there) and I told her that I didn't have that problem (the reason I was there). She said I looked like I might pass out and she got another nurse to help her in case I did. I have no memory of that at all.

Two nights ago I was going to my daughter's basketball game. I remember feeling foggy and confused about how to get to the school (which is 5 minutes from my home). I remember driving and trying to enter the school address into my phone gps. I made it to the game and didn't remember any sort of issue. The next day I mentioned to my daughter that someone must have bumped my side mirror on my car. She said it must have been when I 'hit that basketball goal'. I argued with her that it had not happened. This went on for awhile until her sister backed up her story that I had pulled in someone's driveway on our way to her game and hit their basketball goal! I have no memory of this even though my daughter tells me things she said to me and that I asked her.

I have seen a neurologist. I've had 2 MRI's. I have a pituitary macroadenoma which he said is an empty sella and not a problem. I was tested for sleep apnea. I do not know what is wrong with me.

Does this sound like any sort of seizure that any of you know of? Thank you for reading this lengthy post. I refuse to drive until I know more about what is going on, but I'm still scared. I see a different neurologist Wednesday, but this is all I can think about until I know what is going on.

The following user gives a hug of support to mythreechildren:
triggr1023 (10-14-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
(female)

mythreechildren HB User
Re: undiagnosed and scared

Can someone please respond? I'm so very worried. Please help if you can.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
(female)

Krista2882 HB UserKrista2882 HB User

Have you had any EEG's done? I'm sure your new neuro will send you for one. Those can usually detect any kind of seizure activity in the brain. There are seizures called Absence Seizures, and I think they're a kind of petit mal seizure where the person having the seizure totally zones out and doesn't remember it happening after they come out of it.

Last edited by Krista2882; 10-14-2011 at 01:21 PM.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
(female)

Nicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythreechildren View Post
I don't know what's going on with me. I've had all sorts of tests but no diagnosis. I've had 3 incidents where I 'zone out' and I do not remember events that occur. Two have occurred while I have been driving. The first time I rear-ended my husband at a traffic light on a highway in February. I had my children with me. I did not respond appropriately to the situation. I was talking yet I have NO memory of the impact. I continued driving and made it to my destination. It wasn't for about 30 minutes that I realized something had happened even though I could only remember bits and pieces.

Another incident actually happened at my dr's office in July. I was on the scale and got off and started down a hallway. The nurse told me that I needed to go a different way. She said I told her no. She said yes we need to let the dr look at (the reason I was there) and I told her that I didn't have that problem (the reason I was there). She said I looked like I might pass out and she got another nurse to help her in case I did. I have no memory of that at all.

Two nights ago I was going to my daughter's basketball game. I remember feeling foggy and confused about how to get to the school (which is 5 minutes from my home). I remember driving and trying to enter the school address into my phone gps. I made it to the game and didn't remember any sort of issue. The next day I mentioned to my daughter that someone must have bumped my side mirror on my car. She said it must have been when I 'hit that basketball goal'. I argued with her that it had not happened. This went on for awhile until her sister backed up her story that I had pulled in someone's driveway on our way to her game and hit their basketball goal! I have no memory of this even though my daughter tells me things she said to me and that I asked her.

I have seen a neurologist. I've had 2 MRI's. I have a pituitary macroadenoma which he said is an empty sella and not a problem. I was tested for sleep apnea. I do not know what is wrong with me.

Does this sound like any sort of seizure that any of you know of? Thank you for reading this lengthy post. I refuse to drive until I know more about what is going on, but I'm still scared. I see a different neurologist Wednesday, but this is all I can think about until I know what is going on.
Please, please, please DON'T drive....you could kill yourself or an innocent person/s. I know you said you won't and it's good you are going for a 2nd opinion with another neurologist.

Some of your symptoms sound familiar to me. Based on what you have said, and I'm no doctor but I do have epilepsy, it sounds to me like it COULD possibly be complex partial seizures. I will try posting a link but you can do a search on 'Complex Partial Seizures'. Some people with these types of seizures CAN suffer from amnesia, as well, they can perform task, such as walking (not sure about the talking part though...) and have no memory later of the event.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help and this must be very scary for you....I hope you get some answers from your new neurologist. Maybe you could get a referral to an Epitologist (a Dr. specializing in Epilepsy).

Here is the link on Complex Partial Seizures... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_partial_seizure

Good luck.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
(female)

BTW, I've had an MRI (with dye injected into my brain), a CT scan, and three EEG's, one being a sleep deprived EEG. ALL tests showed NO seizure activity and came back normal. I still have epilepsy and have had seizures. So tests are not always reliable.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
(female)

mythreechildren HB User

THANK YOU for your help and the link!! I will NOT drive. I'm too scared that I could seriously hurt someone, and I could not live with myself if I did that. I'm a teacher and fortunately I'm out on fall break right now until until Tuesday. My appt is on Wednesday. I've made arrangements for someone to take me to school Tuesday and to the dr Wednesday. I feel certain that he will take my license Wednesday so I've prepared myself for than inevitability.

Thanks again for your input. I really appreciate it.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
(female)

No problem. I know what it's like to not drive...it happened to me twice and i had to rely on family and friends to drive me to and from work. But better safe than sorry.

Wow, I really hope you get some answers....go with your gut, you know something is not right. Don't let any Dr. tell you otherwise.

Last edited by Nicole K; 10-14-2011 at 03:23 PM.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
(female)

triggr1023 HB User

I know exactly what your going through. I've been going through this for
14yrs now. I have the same type of seizures that your describing. They call mine Complex Partial Seizures I will usually smack my lips and blackout is what I'm told. I've had several accidents. Most recent one was back last year in July that almost took my life not to scare you or anything. I have two teenagers. Mine first started back when I was 27 back in 1997 after I gave birth to our second child. Thats when to said it was considred hormones inbalanced. I don't drive anymore.It's the hardest thing I have ever had to do, giving up my driving privleges. I'll praying for you and your family. I know its not a easy road. GOD BLESS YOU!!!!

Old 10-15-2011, 06:31 AM   #9
(female)

kjcolmo HB Userkjcolmo HB User

Have you thought about seeing a new Dr.?

Its always good to get a 2nd opinion.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:46 PM   #10
(female)

mythreechildren HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggr1023 View Post
I know exactly what your going through. I've been going through this for
14yrs now. I have the same type of seizures that your describing. They call mine Complex Partial Seizures I will usually smack my lips and blackout is what I'm told. I've had several accidents. Most recent one was back last year in July that almost took my life not to scare you or anything. I have two teenagers. Mine first started back when I was 27 back in 1997 after I gave birth to our second child. Thats when to said it was considred hormones inbalanced. I don't drive anymore.It's the hardest thing I have ever had to do, giving up my driving privleges. I'll praying for you and your family. I know its not a easy road. GOD BLESS YOU!!!!

Thank you for your input and your input and your prayers. I really appreciate it. Can your seizures not be treated so that you are able to regain your driving privileges? My children are young, and I don't know what I will do if I lose my driving privileges permanently. I can't even stand to think about it.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:51 PM   #11
(female)

mythreechildren HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcolmo View Post
Have you thought about seeing a new Dr.?

Its always good to get a 2nd opinion.
I'm not sure if you're talking to me, but I am seeing a different dr Wednesday. I'm upset with the first dr I saw in February. If he had done something then, I most likely wouldn't have had this last incident. I'm just so thankful that I haven't hurt someone. I just wonder how many time this happens to others every day on the roads!

Old 10-15-2011, 08:59 PM   #12
(female)

btrdaz HB User

I used to have those, they were diagnosed as complex partial seizures, they realized what it was when I totaled two cars in one week.......yea, DO NOT drive. I couldn't drive for 7 years. The meds didn't work for me. Few years into it found out I had brian tumor.After tumor was removed I still had them, then I tried natural medicine, that worked, and now I have been seizure free ten years. Good luck!

Old 10-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #13
(female)

triggr1023 HB User

I'm on three different types of seizure medications. How did you find out about the natural meds? And what kind are you taking? I would love to run it by my Doctor the next time I see her and see what she thinks. I hope you don't mind me asking you all these questions, it's just been so hard not being able to drive at the prime of my life. I am tired of taking all these meds and feeling so drugged all the time. Reading your post gives me hope. When you kept having your seizures did you have a lot of headaches when they found your brain tumor?

Closed Thread