It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
(female)

1tiredmama HB User
Seizure affter-effects

Hi! I'm new to this forum, and I am grateful that this group is here. Until last weekend, I considered my epilepsy mild--usually forgot I even had it. I was maintaining on a very low dose of Lamictal. For eight years, I only had simple partials and absence seizures. Last weekend, I had my first (and hopefully, my last) temporal lobe seizure. It lasted for 5 minutes and I passed out, no shaking, though.

After I woke up, my speech was slurred for 30 minutes. Over the next few days, I had trouble finding words when speaking. Now, seven days later, I am speaking fine, but I am still having trouble keeping my thoughts organized. I feel foggy and tired.

Can one still feel the effects of a seizure a whole week later?

Thank you for your thoughts.

1tiredmama

Old 10-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
(female)

Nicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB User
Re: Seizure affter-effects

You should really go see your neurologist or epitologist. I've never heard of suffering effects of a seizure up to a week afterwards.

Usually, I'm sleepy for a full day following my seizure...no slurred speech.

Also, seizing for 5 mins sounds like a very long time. My neuro told my hubby if my seizure lasted for more than 2 mins., he had to call 9-1-1.

Everytime you have a seizure like that, you are causing damage to your brain. It is VERY dangerous and not to be taken lightly. Please go see your DR. ASAP.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
(female)

Diamond20 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tiredmama View Post
Hi! I'm new to this forum, and I am grateful that this group is here. Until last weekend, I considered my epilepsy mild--usually forgot I even had it. I was maintaining on a very low dose of Lamictal. For eight years, I only had simple partials and absence seizures. Last weekend, I had my first (and hopefully, my last) temporal lobe seizure. It lasted for 5 minutes and I passed out, no shaking, though.

After I woke up, my speech was slurred for 30 minutes. Over the next few days, I had trouble finding words when speaking. Now, seven days later, I am speaking fine, but I am still having trouble keeping my thoughts organized. I feel foggy and tired.

Can one still feel the effects of a seizure a whole week later?

Thank you for your thoughts.

1tiredmama
Hello 1tiredmama,
Sorry i'm quoting but i suffer with forgetfulness of the brain.

Like yourself i've got temporal-lobe epilepsey and Grandmal seizures besides Todds-paralasis my seizures started at 18 and i'm now 43 and i'm drugged right up to help control mine as i used to fit 18 and more a day.

I was pulled off lamactil which your taking it did'nt suite me one bit plus it's an old drug they've got you on.

Temporal-lobe seizures cause Autissum, violence without you knowing, memory loss which can go for weeks, loss of speech which i have now..when i have one my hubby is ontop of me watching like mad.
The foggyness and tiedness can take a great affect on the body and mind...also ask your neurologist if you can have a small dosage of valium as i take a 5mg every 2 days it keeps the cells to the brain steady and another drug which is ace KEPPRA

Your not on your own as i know what your going throughxx

Old 10-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
(female)

dogmom HB Userdogmom HB User

5 minutes is a wicked long time for a seizure! As Nicole stated, a tonic-clonic (grand mal) that lasts more than 5 minutes is serious stuff and should be brought to the attention of your doctor. That is, after paramedics have been called! Five minute seizures are very, very dangerous.

I had 3 of those in a row while undergoing a VEEG but they were in a supervised environment in a hospital where they stopped my meds. because they wanted to provoke seizures. Well, it sure worked. And when you have a tonic-clonic, there's lots of shaking going on. Usually it starts from one limb (mine is always in my left arm) then it spreads as the seizure moves along, traveling thru your brain.

I was foggy for about three days once I got home with no memory of being in the hospital at all. I attribute that to all the meds. they pumped into me after all of the big seizures, including Dilantin and Ativan, to calm down my brain they had aggravated so much. Thanks guys!

Sounds like your meds. need to be upped. After all of my "big ones" my meds sure were increased...3,000 mgs Keppra, 200 mgs Lamictal and 200 of Topamax.

Call your doc. It's no fun feeling stoopy.
Best wishes!

Last edited by dogmom; 10-28-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
(male)

oohwow HB User

Hi, Something does not match in ur story. You rarely get absence seizure and temporal lobe seizure. Need to get VEEG.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:04 AM   #6
(male)

taking-it-easy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
5 minutes is a wicked long time for a seizure! As Nicole stated, a tonic-clonic (grand mal) that lasts more than 5 minutes is serious stuff and should be brought to the attention of your doctor.
not sure what type mine are, but believe a 3-5 min window is my usual amount of time i'm out.

ral

Old 12-16-2011, 08:04 AM   #7
(female)

Krista2882 HB UserKrista2882 HB User

Being out for 5 minutes is different than having a 5-minute-long seizure. I was out for 30 minutes after my Gran Mal seizure, but I'm sure I wasn't seizing for that long!! I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have lived through that. There were no witnesses so I don't know how long the seizure actually lasted, though.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:54 AM   #8
(female)

Mander1019 HB User

I usually lose about 15 minutes of time with my grand mals.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #9
(female)

wannabeseizfree HB User

I had a seizure on Thursday night and I still don't feel so hot. I think it depends on the type of seizure and how long they last. This is a long time for me to feel bad but my husband said the seizure was bad. I never believe him that I have seizures but Thursday's happened in the restaurant where we just got married a few months ago so the whole staff was there and I guess I did. Anyway, even if I have a simple partial seizure, I feel crappy for at least 12 hours. I was told I had two grand mals in the last week so thats probably why I still feel bad.

The following user gives a hug of support to wannabeseizfree:
Positive Cynic (01-16-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Hi wannabe,
I am sorry what happened to you. Especially in a public place. I have grand mal seizures too. I can tell you that your mental feeling is not right at all for 1 or 2 weeks after. So you are feeling normal just after a seizure. Did you go to the hospital? I always do, even if it happens at home. We can hurt ourselves and don't even know it. Are you on any medication? You should be. I know myself that I hated to take strong medication, but they have controlled my seizures. I would suggest you find a doctor to get on medication. I am on Keppra, but there are dozens of other kinds of drugs for us to help epilepsy. It is nothing to be ashamed of us. Make sure your husband understands this. You need his support now, more than anytime. I know it sounds like you are a young couple. this is just something that happens. It is nobodies fault. Make sure you love each other and can get through this.
God Bless,
Tim

Old 01-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #11
(female)

wannabeseizfree HB User

Thanks for your kind words. I still feel pretty bad. I take Keppra also but I don't know why it's not working. I have had three brain surgeries and hoping I don't need to have another one. Everything is harder for me to do after I have a seizure, housework, bills typing, etc. I have a couple questions for you, do you have a ****** attitude after your seizures because I hate the world after mine? Do you have bad nausea and headaches afterward? (I have a nausea problem from brain surgery but it seems worse after these seizures). Why do you go to the hospital after your seizures? What do they do for you there (my husband is curious)? I'm taking the max dose of Keppra and I take ativan but only .5 mg I want to stop the ativan because I read how bad it was but the pharmacist said I cannot. Oh and I had to switch neurologist when my mother got diagnosed with ALS to be closer to home for her and my neurologist thinks it's no big deal when I have these seizures. I'm taking steps now to get either a new neurologist or go back to my old one. It is a big deal to have seizures, it makes me feel absolutely awful.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:10 AM   #12
(male)

jujubees HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive Cynic View Post
Hi wannabe,
I am sorry what happened to you. Especially in a public place. I have grand mal seizures too. I can tell you that your mental feeling is not right at all for 1 or 2 weeks after. So you are feeling normal just after a seizure. Did you go to the hospital? I always do, even if it happens at home. We can hurt ourselves and don't even know it. Are you on any medication? You should be. I know myself that I hated to take strong medication, but they have controlled my seizures. I would suggest you find a doctor to get on medication. I am on Keppra, but there are dozens of other kinds of drugs for us to help epilepsy. It is nothing to be ashamed of us. Make sure your husband understands this. You need his support now, more than anytime. I know it sounds like you are a young couple. this is just something that happens. It is nobodies fault. Make sure you love each other and can get through this.
God Bless,
Tim

Old 02-10-2012, 03:35 AM   #13
(male)

jujubees HB User

Hi Wannabee. I'm sorry you had a public siezure. I started having public siezures as a teenager, and quickly got used to it. After each Gran Mal, I would be wiped out for at least 2 or 3 days. I also go to the hospital after the gran mal siezures because we do not know what is causing the siezure. Possibly medication level in blood is too low to control the siezures. Has happened to me many times over the years. Finally my neurologist was able to put together a coctail of medications for effective control. I currrently take 24 pills per day. Don't be embarassed about a public siezure. It is beyond your control. When people stare at me, I stare right back and make eye contact. On another note, educating yourself about your condition as well as your family and friends as what to do in case of a siezure or signs of a siezure are present. They will be able to move furniture out of the way, bring you to the ground before the convulsions begin(possibly)so as not to damage your head. My last siezure was 12/16/11. I have narrowing of ureter which led to massive kidney failure. I was unable to hold down drink, food, or my meds for over a month. I blood level went so low on the meds that I had a gran mal in the bathroom. I woke up around 25 minutes later to find my mother dabbing blood away from my forehead. I had cut my eyebrow open on the shower door track. 45 minutes later, my wife came home and she put a dressing on the wound and I rested before my daughter called 911. The paramedics arrived before I could put a pair of pants on. They said they would get a pair for me. Never happened. So, I entered the hospital on a gurney in my underwear. I hope this message will give you some comfort that you are not alone out there with siezures. Hopefully you will learn to not worry about what other people think. May God Bless You and keep you siezure Free.

Closed Thread