It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User
A Question About Keppra

Hi everybody,
I just started having grand mal seizures in June of this year. It is due to a stroke a had in 2010. I am 53. Anyway I was first on Zonegran and it seemed ok. But I had a bad seizure about 3 weeks ago and started on Keppra. I am on 500 mg twice a day and 100 mg Zonegran twice a day and haven't had a seizure again since.

But my hair is falling out. I have always had a good head of hair and my family too. But since this Keppra, I took a shower the other day and way freaked out at all of the hair that was in the shower. It has never happened to me before and this was sudden. Has anyone had any problems with losing hair with Keppra? I have had hard 2 years with a stroke, then colon cancer (is ok) and epilepsy now. I don't want to lose my hair too I have taken pretty good things in stride, considering. But I've always had a good head of hair. I hate to see that go too. Any help or insight on this Keppra I would appreciate. As you know, the docs, don't have a lot of compassionate on the emotion department.
God Bless,
Tim

The following user gives a hug of support to Positive Cynic:
fairy1963 (12-12-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
(male)

Remmers HB User
Re: A Question About Keppra

I take 1500mg of keppra, was taking 1000mg till last week for over 3 years and my hair actually grows more and faster I think. Maybe its a combo of the 2 you are taking, sorry i could help

The following user gives a hug of support to Remmers:
Positive Cynic (12-07-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Thanks,
Anything to hear about epilepsy is great since I am new to this. it may not be the keppra. I am just trying to figure it out. Ha! I'd love to see more hair from Keppra. Jeez. Thanks for the post my friend.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

Hello there again Tim,

Well I been on Keppra for 8 yrs (3000mg daily) now as I told you before. My hair also starting falling since I been on it. I asked my neuro and she said could be part of it but she couldn't certify it since many research its still being done on it. I have experience it and since I used to be on Keppra and trileptal, but was taken off trileptal last year, and my hair kept falling off I blame it on keppra.. Im weaning off keppra now (2000mg daily) and hoping it grows back fast. Well hope this has helped you a little.

Laura

The following user gives a hug of support to 030free:
Positive Cynic (12-08-2011)
Old 12-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi Laura,
Thank you for the info. I also think it is making me losing hair. It would be too weird of a coincidence if my hair just started falling out 2 weeks after I started on Keppra. I am very happy for you that you are weaning off of it. good for you. Let me know if your hair seems to come back. I am so happy you have healthy child too. That is wonderful. Some days I feel like not taking the stuff, but I don't want a seizure either. I don't have mild ones. I always wake up in the hospital after one and I hate that so much being strapped down. So it is like which thing do you hate worse ya know

So I wanted to ask you another question about Keppra since you have been on it so long. I knew when I first got it there must have 500 side effects and I just threw the paper away. Well, my wife told me my face look different. Like it looks more square or something. Have you ever heard of something like that? I vaguely remember reading something like that. My face is also very flaky and it really wasn't before either, but that really started after I started having seizures. I am not a hyprocondro-whatever it is. It is just all this crap happened all of the sudden and doctors really don't give a crap too much. At least it has been my experience. It's just nice to ask some one that knows what I am talking about and I am not nuts. It's just really weird because all of my life I refused to take medications and took natural things. Now I am taking a handful of pills everyday, but I have no other choice now. But I always avoided them because of side effects. But here I am. Oh, well. That is enough of my rambling. Thanks for listening. My circle of life of friends have become very small since I have been so sick. That is really nobody's fault. That is just life. Take good care of yourself my friend.
God Bless,
Tim

Old 12-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

Hi Tim, trust me your not at all alone in this. I been on these meds many years and in the process on planning my first pregnancy, I came across alot of information on keppra. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there sure are many bad side effects but certain people get some while others may feel none. For starters, most people I've met on this med complain of agressiveness and change in mood and behavior, also common. Depression, hair loss which we have discussed, blurrier vision, shortness of concentration. Feeling more tired and sleepy, muscle twitching, droppy eye lids, changes in taste buds and much more.. I have only noticed the hair loss and blurry vision at beginning stages of starting on the meds my first time, as time went by your body adjusts and you don't notice them as much or just simply ignore them. Although I have lost my hair, it has grown back fast so its not noticable. I have thick, long black hair and have for me always been full although I see the balls of hairs on the floor but on
my head you can't tell. Hope you understand what Im talking about. Well, also as i been weaning off although it hasn't been long yet just a month, I have noticed much clearer vision
Hope I been able to answer some of your concerns, but like I said Drs. weren't much help either as you said, but my own research helped me alot. Im pretty sure with time your beging to adjust, but try not to stress the side effects, since like you said before its something we can't do nothing about, we just accept it and try to live better lives

(excuse any typos)

Godbless,
Laura

Old 02-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
(female)

arjhayv HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive Cynic View Post
Hi everybody,
I just started having grand mal seizures in June of this year. It is due to a stroke a had in 2010. I am 53. Anyway I was first on Zonegran and it seemed ok. But I had a bad seizure about 3 weeks ago and started on Keppra. I am on 500 mg twice a day and 100 mg Zonegran twice a day and haven't had a seizure again since.

But my hair is falling out. I have always had a good head of hair and my family too. But since this Keppra, I took a shower the other day and way freaked out at all of the hair that was in the shower. It has never happened to me before and this was sudden. Has anyone had any problems with losing hair with Keppra? I have had hard 2 years with a stroke, then colon cancer (is ok) and epilepsy now. I don't want to lose my hair too I have taken pretty good things in stride, considering. But I've always had a good head of hair. I hate to see that go too. Any help or insight on this Keppra I would appreciate. As you know, the docs, don't have a lot of compassionate on the emotion department.
God Bless,
Tim
Hello,

I am also taking Keppra and noticed the same problem. I used to take Dilantin but had severe mood swings. In 2010, my doctor stopped me from taking Dilantin 6 months after receiving a craniatomy. I seized 4 months ago and put me back on seizure pills, which is Keppra. I always had healthy hair but is now thinking of keeping it short because of this issue. The only thing is, I have a huge scar on my head because of the surgery. It's not a very good feeling when you don't know what to do. I became forgetful too ever since I started taking this medication. I'm always very tired and can't seem to focus especially now that I am back in school. I still have mood swings but not as bad as what I experienced with Dilantin. As far as finding another seizure medicine that will prevent this from happening, I haven't really found a solution. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:23 AM   #8
(male)

zapit HB User

Hi there,
I was on Keppra for 4+ years, 3 of those at max.dosage 1500mg bd. I was taking it with a cocktail of other meds, so hard to establish the exact side effects. I did find it much easier to start Keppra, unlike most anti- epileptics. Most od the A-E drugs take months to get upto required dose, and make you feel really crappy till u get there. I had noticeable hair loss for the entire time on Keppra, but strangly enough, found my nails growing much faster. Only once I stopped the drug, did I realise effects it had had on my balance, blurred vison and a general confusion. Initially it was a great drug, controlled seizures pretty well ( brought me down to 1, maybe 2 seizures a week, from at least 1 a day) Over time, it worked less and less, only working when dose was increased.I had to stop it when i starded developing a rash, sore nipples etc. having had Steven Johnsons once before, thats SOP with me. I have found that head hair has mostly grown back, but body hair has not. keppra was definatly one of the better anti epileptics I've been on. Try stick to it as long as you can, Good luck, and take care.

Zap

Old 04-17-2012, 11:56 PM   #9
(female)

dragonprincess HB User

thats wierd it mad my hir grow and my nails to. soo sorry to hear that youy are having a bad time. keppra did cause weight lose for me though.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:46 AM   #10
(female)

JenniferRae HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjhayv View Post
Hello,

I am also taking Keppra and noticed the same problem. I used to take Dilantin but had severe mood swings. In 2010, my doctor stopped me from taking Dilantin 6 months after receiving a craniatomy. I seized 4 months ago and put me back on seizure pills, which is Keppra. I always had healthy hair but is now thinking of keeping it short because of this issue. The only thing is, I have a huge scar on my head because of the surgery. It's not a very good feeling when you don't know what to do. I became forgetful too ever since I started taking this medication. I'm always very tired and can't seem to focus especially now that I am back in school. I still have mood swings but not as bad as what I experienced with Dilantin. As far as finding another seizure medicine that will prevent this from happening, I haven't really found a solution. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Hey, I can relate to what you are saying. My side effects are similar to yours. I have been on Keppra since 2010, taking a high dose, 3000 mg a day. However, my hair loss stepped in pretty late, possibly I didn't notice it before. Luckily I have a lot of hair, so others can't really tell, but everytime I brush, a bunch of it comes off....I thought about cutting it short, but as it is with you, my scare would be very noticable and I don't want people to freak out. I have problems staying focused, memory loss and a blurry vision, mood swings are part of it too, but they've changed A LOT, after my surgery. Also, I learned how to keep myself under control a bit more. I also take Vimpat, but not on a high dose, since my hands started shaking a lot. Besides that I have only heard good things about it. Maybe you could also try it out? Part of the treatment is, as already mentioned from others, to find the right dose and medication for yourself. I hope everything goes fast and smooth with you. Good luck and best wishes!!!

Old 11-22-2012, 05:47 AM   #11
(female)

kushman HB User

i understand. my husband is the same. we are very natural people, but now hes taking quite a few meds. its worth it if they help though. the seizures are truely maddening.

Reply Reply