HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Epilepsy (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/epilepsy/)
-   -   Seizure during EEG? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/epilepsy/881257-seizure-during-eeg.html)

Sporkie 12-10-2011 04:26 AM

Seizure during EEG?

Hi had an EEG yesterday with strobing lights and fast breathing. About 3 minutes or so after the lights and breathing exercise I saw with my eyes closed somewhat of a darker space in my head and my head began to feel woosey and I got really scared feeling I was going to have a seizure and I opened my eyes. When I opened my eyes it took me about three seconds to realize where I was...I know I was not falling asleep...my head and body felt different. Was this a seizure? Also, during the test duriing the blinking lights my eyes did an involuntary thing by going around and around in my head. Is this normal? The tech told me she didnt know how to read the results and that if it was a seizure somebody would call lme sooner or later. Nobody called me yesterday but I do not know if my test would have been read that fast. One of the episodes I had which caused the neurologist to want an EEG was like this. I sort of "blacked out with my eyes open" and when I came too I didn't know where I was.

Anybody experience similar things when having an EEG? If I was going to have a seizure and stopped it when I opened my eyes, would any sort of activity register on the EEG when this happened?

Positive Cynic 12-10-2011 03:54 PM

Re: Seizure during EEG?

Hi Sporkie,
I am sorry you feel so stressed. I had an EEG I guess it sounds like what you had it is when you lay down with your eyes shut and they do a strobe think. I don't know what they where doing, but I had a grand mal seizure. They didn't tell me much about the test. I am sorry, but I get mad, what are you doing and what for? type of thing. But from what I gather is they do this strobe thing to see if you have epilepsy. There is is a certain speed of the likes that make you freak out. and there was on that did it to me. I asked them to stop. So I know you felt scared at some point because I did too. I am not a doctor, but let's just assume that the lights made you sick or different. The medication can help stop the seizures, Did you have your MRI yet? I saw you had a post about that about a week ago. I hope it went ok. Valium helps ha ha. From what you have read, you may have epeilispy, but I am not a doctor either. What I will say is that life is gift. If you can, try and figure it out with you doctor. There are meds that can help with epilepsy. Well you take care my friend,
God Bless,
Tim :wave:

taking-it-easy 12-15-2011 06:27 AM

Re: Seizure during EEG?

sorry sporky, didn't have a seizure when i had my EEG.

the positive side though is that they were able to get a record of the event you described. that is a big step in and of itself. it takes time to have the experts get to and decifer your results, then set up a follow up appointment with you to go over the results. their turnaround times are certainly not as urgent as we'd all like them to be.

relax a little and if you don't hear back in a couple days reach back out to them and schedule an appointment to go over the results. i believe my quickest turnaround time with appointments is to go with the nurse practitioner instead of the doctor. may be worth checking into if your location has this option.

ral