It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
(male)

john30332 HB User
Thumbs down keppra sucks

i have GBM-IV brain cancer and was on keppra fo rlmost 2 years, then had a couple siezures my dose got upped to 3,750mg a day. i feel like a dunk most days mosf of he day.i am tired, dizzy, and dclumsy. i hav trouble dressing myself, tping, venwalking. on top of all that the keppra hasn't woked have ahad a fe late night seizures since new dose. if you hav ethe chance to be on something lse, do it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User
Re: keppra sucks

Hi John,
Sorry you are having such a bad problem with keppra. I don't really like it too much either. I can barely talk a sentence correctly when I'm on it. I also started loosing my hair. I have only been on it about a month (1000 mg) and haven't noticed any mood swings, but the other day my wife told me I was mean to her and I said I was sorry, but I didn't feel like I was to her it at all. I had a stroke 2 years ago and then colon cancer and now epilepsy, and our marriage has been strong through it all. But I don't want to start being mean after all of this that we have been through because of this keppra, it would really be a shame. Anyway John I feel your frustration and I'm sorry you are going through it. I have found that just letting venting it all out once in awhile helps some. Take care my friend.
God Bless,
Tim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #3
(female)

Krista2882 HB UserKrista2882 HB User

Hi John,
3,750 mg/day is a very high dose. I read that the maximum dose one should take is 3,000 mg/day (which is what I take). What was your dosage before they increased it? Did you feel ok then? If it's not working at your previous dosage maybe they should try a different med for you.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:17 AM   #4
(male)

taking-it-easy HB User

agree john ... tried it and hated it myself.

have been back & forth on a bunch of different meds over last 4-5 years ... up to you to judge if the effects/side effects are worth the benefit that keppra may be doing with seizure control

sounds like you may be better off moving to something else - jmo

good luck with everything!

ral

Last edited by taking-it-easy; 12-15-2011 at 06:18 AM.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
(female)

Synchro12 HB User

I think the FDA should recall Keppra for the psychological problems it causes. It caused me to get more seizures - from two monthly to three weekly. I was so excited about starting it because no Tegretol meant no blood tests. Of course, that happy feeling did not last very long.

Reply Reply