It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
(female)

bonniemum HB User
brain tumour with epilepsy seizures

Hi,can some1 tell me if its possible for my son who is 31,to work with having seizures,they dont come very often,its a hit or a miss.He has had an op for the tumour,this seemingly has cut down the seizures,but its not helping him to try &get a job.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User
Re: brain tumour with epilepsy seizures

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniemum View Post
Hi,can some1 tell me if its possible for my son who is 31,to work with having seizures,they dont come very often,its a hit or a miss.He has had an op for the tumour,this seemingly has cut down the seizures,but its not helping him to try &get a job.
Sorry to hear your son its goign through this. Im also 31 but became seizure free after my op in 2007. Now i had a few questions, according to what you posted, seems like the tumor made his seizures worse but after operation they became less. For starters, the neurologist should of placed in on a seizure med to try and control them completetly. Though seizures can be very hard on an individual and hence make their job twice as hard then someone with no seizures, but that shouldn't stop an employer from hiring you, or else is discrimination. I held many jobs while I was epileptic, and even finished college. so your son will be just fine working, but will make his life much easier if they placed him on meds. i wish your son all the best. Come back if you have any other concerns..

Laura

Last edited by 030free; 03-16-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

A person does NOT have to inform potential employers they have medical conditions with a few rare exceptions that the person may be injured in. If it's say a cleaning or office job, you don't tell them. If you are an iron worker and working at heights, you tell them. You don't want to be falling from a high floor due to having a seizure, or possibly cause problems using a torch/welder

I DID inform an employer after I was hired about it, and they were very graceful in how it worked. I was told I could leave the computers and go to the break room if I felt one coming on. I worked that job for 2 years without problems.

--Travis

Old 03-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
(male)

jvmtaz HB User

Laura, Amber & Travis:

I'm continuing be seizure free since 2-2-2009. I hope others will be as blessed. I'm still keeping in touch with professionals who made it all possible. They are forever in my heart!

Thanks again for your information and support the lead me in the right direction .

Sincerely,

Jim

Old 03-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmtaz View Post
Laura, Amber & Travis:

I'm continuing be seizure free since 2-2-2009. I hope others will be as blessed. I'm still keeping in touch with professionals who made it all possible. They are forever in my heart!

Thanks again for your information and support the lead me in the right direction .

Sincerely,

Jim
Congrats Jim!!! These are Great news I'll be hitting 5 years seizure free next month as well, sure feels like freedom. Im so glad your doing so well, and that you found us to get there and allowed us to support you. Hope all continues to go well for you. I barely have time for the boards since I had a baby girl last year. But I try to come and check them, and continue to help others. Makes me happy to see many have choosen the surgery route and done so well. Stay positive and keep us posted.

God Bless,

Laura

Last edited by 030free; 03-23-2012 at 06:53 PM.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
(male)

tampaboy57 HB User
Smile Re: brain tumour with epilepsy seizures

When I was about 10 years old I was having seizures. The doctor told me that I had to start taking Dialantin. Back then they thought I had Epilepsy. Since then and the year 2000, a MRI told a different story about a growing tumor that I had all of my life that had to be removed. That tumor was effecting my short-term memory and my speach and the seizures that I was having. But now since the tumor has been removed, there are no more seizures, but the short-term memory will always be there. My doctor said that I will have to take Dialantin or something simular for the rest of my life.

Closed Thread