It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
(female)

ecw101475 HB User
Abnormal EEGs all along, and now it's normal

Hello all. I had a grand mal seizure when I was 10 (I'm 36 now) and after an EEG, MRI, and numerous neuro. visits, I was diagnosed with complex partial seizures. I was on Tegretol forever (20ish years) and was switched to Lamictal several years ago. Over the years I've had 4 or 5 EEGs, and every last one of them has come back with "abnormal brain activity in left temporal lobe." I had one a few weeks ago and got the results today, and it's normal. The NP who gave me the "good news" is weaning me off Lamictal (I currently take 400 mg. per day). 200 mg. for a month, 100 mg. for two weeks, then 50 mg. for two weeks. After that, I go back for a repeat EEG.

When I got the results today, I was elated. I mean ELATED. All day long though I've been thinking about this, and now I'm scared. How common is it to have a normal EEG but still run the risk of having a seizure? I would like to add that I haven't had a seizure in 15 years, but was still getting the abnormal test results.

I have three kids and am constantly carting them around, and this is what worries me the most--driving. It's been so incredibly long since I've had a seizure, but I very clearly remember the "oh my God, oh ****, No no no no no not this" feeling, then doing my spacey thing for a few minutes. I'm terrified the test results are wrong and that something will happen when we're out and about. All advice and personal experience is welcome!

Emily

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread