HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Epilepsy (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/epilepsy/)
-   -   Incense can it be bad for people with epilepsy (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/epilepsy/890375-incense-can-bad-people-epilepsy.html)

BAHAMAS 02-21-2012 12:09 PM

Incense can it be bad for people with epilepsy

Hi I would just like to find out if anyone has found that Incense affect anyone who has epilepsy ?.

Also if it does are there any brands or types that are safe for epileptics to be around ?.

Positive Cynic 02-22-2012 05:30 PM

Re: Incense can it be bad for people with epilepsy

Hi,
I have never heard of that, however, it can be possible. Every situation is different for each person. I know that flashing lights can cause a seizure, so I would not be surprised if a some type of smell may be an aura for you. I wish you only goodness and happiness.
God Bless,
Tim

herpelow 02-23-2012 09:09 PM

[QUOTE=BAHAMAS;4931772]Hi I would just like to find out if anyone has found that Incense affect anyone who has epilepsy ?.

Also if it does are there any brands or types that are safe for epileptics to be around ?.[/QUOTE]
I am epileptic as well. I have found that sometimes smells can trigbutger a seizure. not necessarily insence but smells in general can. Also I can smell something right now and I may have an aura. I may smell that same smell later and won't give me a problem. Sounds can do the same to me as well. Hope this helps some.

lelou 10-14-2012 02:01 AM

I have never heard of incense bringing a seizure on, but i have heard that lavender oil, either burnt or placed around the house can sometimes bring on an epileptic seizure, because its a relaxant & can make people feel sleepy, also Indian head massarge is supposed to be dangerous to some people with epilepsy, same thing as it makes people sleepy, so I'd say maybe with the Incense, but good idea to google it & see what it says about incense,

All the best

Lelou.

lelou 10-15-2012 05:28 PM

You say you have never heard that sleepiness can be bad for some people with Epilepsy, my husband has suffered with Grand Mal epilepsy since he was a teenager & is in his mid 40,s now, when he is over tired & very sleepy or been asleep & wakes he goes into a seizure,

It is a known fact that people that suffer from epilepsy should be careful when using ... Rosemary, sage, camphor and spike lavender oils contain camphor,
when using certain essential oils in aromatherapy, since some contain neurotoxins which have a convulsant effect.

Hope this has helped

Regards

Lelou :-)

GenericPhrase 10-16-2012 06:13 AM

well this is certainly news to me! i had no idea. of course, i don't wear perfume but rather ONLY this essential oil called egyptian goddess. i can't imagine wearing anything else so i guess ill smell delicious

lelou 10-21-2012 04:17 AM

Well i guess we all learn somthing New everyday don't we!

To be honest i only found out a few years back when i sprinkled Lavender oil onto our pillows, only because i was having a few probs sleeping, & new it could help, but to my surprise it brought an epileptic attack on with my hubby in the morning, that's when i found out its not so good for people with Epilepsy!

Wow essential oil called egyptian goddess! never heard of it, but sounds wonderful ;-)

Bet you smell Gourg all day long!