It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
(female)

paprbkrtr HB User
First seizure age 61

Words of Wisdom, PLEASE.

My sister just had a seizure at age 61. She's never had one before. She was on an airplane and felt hot and dizzy. Then she was out. Witnesses said she clenched her fists, shook, and moaned. She also lost control of her bladder.

She hasn't gone to the doctor yet. I'm terrified she may have a brain tumor. She IS under a lot of stress.

If anybody has ANY words of wisdom or anything to relieve my fear, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

The following user gives a hug of support to paprbkrtr:
Positive Cynic (03-10-2012)
Old 03-10-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User
Re: First seizure age 61

Hi!
I am Tim and hope can help you. I am not a doctor so am only giving you my opinion. Quickly about me,, I had a major stroke in 2010 and a year later epilesy. So that being said, I think your sister had a seizure and may had epilesy. Especieally that you said she lost control of her bladder. That is very common with epilepsy.

Please don't think of the worst yet. Don't think tumor. But she must see a nuerologist. They only deal with our brains. I was in the hospital 4 times last year and not doctor new what was going until I saw a neuerologist took many tests and I had epilesy. With medication, I have not had a seizure in 7 months. The drugs are really hard at first, but you body gets used to it. And I would rather take the drugs now that have another seizure.

Like I said. I have know idea what is going on to your sister, but just from my experiences it seems it could be possible. I only wish you both goodness and happiness,

Tim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
(female)

tinygirl1976 HB User

I disagree. It doesn't mean you have epilepsy if you have 1 seizure. There are numerous factors that can cause seizures: dehydration, low blood sugar, alcohol withdrawal or over-consumption, low magnesium or B vitamin levals...etc. Tell her to go get tests done to determine the cause.
K

Old 05-14-2012, 06:00 AM   #4
(female)

mythreechildren HB User

First of all, the previous poster said she 'may' have epilepsy. He didn't say she definitely has epilepsy. At this time, I have only been diagnosed with simple and complex partial seizures. I was 47 when I had my first ever seizure. Those are not the kind of episodes you describe, but it definitely sounds like a seizure. When having that type of seizure, loss of bladder control and defecation are common.

Don't assume the worst. Seizures are very scary, and can take awhile to diagnose and treat effectively. She definitely needs to see a neurologist asap to get the diagnosis/treatment process started.

Reply Reply