It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
(male)

Adamant1 HB User
Second seizure - need to investigate

Hi everyone,†
I just joined as a member after reading several posts relating to epilepsy and seizures. I suffered a seizure this past weekend, my second, with a two year absence between the last, and this prompted me to seek answers and learn of treatments people have tried.†

I'm not even too sure how to classify the type of seizure I've been having. The most recent, Mar. 24, I was out running a short 5km run and as I was making my way back home, I lose all memory and only remember speaking to nurses in my hospital room. I suffered total amnesia this time. I only remember details up to the point when my wife was beside my bed and the nurses were disinfecting the wounds on my face. I split my chin open, requiring 3 stitches, and scrapped and bruised my face and hand in the process.†

I feel so alone, scared and vulnerable. After my first violent seizure I had CT and EEG but the spikes or abnormalities they did see weren't too much cause for concern. My license has been revoked again and I feel like I need to get the proper diagnosis this time around. I had a pretty disappointing meeting with a neurologist my first seizure, does anyone have any recommendations on how to have a better meeting? She dismissed it as relating to an alcohol withdrawal seizure, (I'm a very moderate drinker), she performed a test to check my hand-eye movements, muscle movement etc.. but didn't do much else. What type of questions did you ask of your neurologist after your first or second seizure? What type of screening was requested, did you push to have other methods tested? I might ask that an MRI be performed this time around in addition to the regular EEG. Anything else I might ask? † †

Thanks for reading,†
It's comforting to know I'm part of an online community such as this group.†

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User
Re: Second seizure - need to investigate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamant1 View Post
Hi everyone,†
I just joined as a member after reading several posts relating to epilepsy and seizures. I suffered a seizure this past weekend, my second, with a two year absence between the last, and this prompted me to seek answers and learn of treatments people have tried.†

I'm not even too sure how to classify the type of seizure I've been having. The most recent, Mar. 24, I was out running a short 5km run and as I was making my way back home, I lose all memory and only remember speaking to nurses in my hospital room. I suffered total amnesia this time. I only remember details up to the point when my wife was beside my bed and the nurses were disinfecting the wounds on my face. I split my chin open, requiring 3 stitches, and scrapped and bruised my face and hand in the process.†

I feel so alone, scared and vulnerable. After my first violent seizure I had CT and EEG but the spikes or abnormalities they did see weren't too much cause for concern. My license has been revoked again and I feel like I need to get the proper diagnosis this time around. I had a pretty disappointing meeting with a neurologist my first seizure, does anyone have any recommendations on how to have a better meeting? She dismissed it as relating to an alcohol withdrawal seizure, (I'm a very moderate drinker), she performed a test to check my hand-eye movements, muscle movement etc.. but didn't do much else. What type of questions did you ask of your neurologist after your first or second seizure? What type of screening was requested, did you push to have other methods tested? I might ask that an MRI be performed this time around in addition to the regular EEG. Anything else I might ask? † †

Thanks for reading,†
It's comforting to know I'm part of an online community such as this group.†
I would be VERY concerned about any neurologist who did not perform an MRI as well as a CAT Scan and EEG. They are different tests, so if I were you, I would ask for the written reports of the tests that were done and go find another dr. My suggestion about finding one would be to call the hospital near you and ask for a referral. If you have no luck there, ask your general dr. and he or she should have one. If you are on any medication, blood levels should be taken and you should take note of what the count or counts are. You can get all of that in writing. If this is alcohol related, that will be easy to overcome by going off the stuff. I would also get a written diagnosis from this dr. with whom you have been dealing with. You want a copy of ALL reports for your own medical records and you be darn sure to get them. Good luck and please feel free to ask me any questions. I have had seizures for years and could write a book about different neurologists.

Closed Thread