It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
(female)

Jc2007 HB User
Question It it a seizure

When i was in elementary school I would have episodes of having a blank stare that lasted just a few seconds. My first couple years of college it would happen while driving and I would have a déjà vue feeling. I am 27 and it still happens sometimes especially when I need to focus when I snap out of it I blink my eyes very fast for a few seconds. What's wrong with me?

Old 05-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
(female)

Krista2882 HB UserKrista2882 HB User
Re: It it a seizure

Sounds like it could be Absence Seizures or Complex Partial Seizures.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
(female)

mythreechildren HB User

It sounds like that to me too. I have the simple partial seizures (which is the déjà vue episode...or at least it was with me). My complex partial seizures were like you described where you were staring. I also knew I was losing chunks of time. My memory was horrible. This went undiagnosed until I rear ended my husband at a traffic light on a busy highway. It was the grace of God that I didn't hit someone else and that I didn't hurt my children. I still went undiagnosed while I was being tested by a horrible neurologist. He wanted to test me at his sleep apnea center and I did in fact have sleep apnea. Things seemed to get better, until I had another traffic incident with my children (9 year old twins). I didn't remember any of it, but they were able to describe what happened...however, not until the next day. They knew it was odd, but not odd enough to tell me until the next day when we were talking about something. I parked the car voluntarily that day, and I haven't driven again.

What you are describing seems like my experience exactly. If you are driving, please stop until you get checked out. When I think of all the people I could have hurt before I even knew what was going on scares me to death. It is sooo hard not being able to drive. My kids have had to miss out on so many activities, but none of that matters more than their safety and the safety of all the other innocent people I could have hurt.

Best wishes to you. I never had a history of seizures, never had a head injury, and have no family members with a history of seizures. I'm so sorry this is so long and for what you're going through. I just hoped that telling you my story might help you as you seek the cause of your symptoms. I hope you find the information you need.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
(female)

Jc2007 HB User

I haven't had the déjà vue feeling while driving in maybe 5 years. Now it's more like tunnel vision. I can see and hear things happening around me but I cant do anything until I snap out of my trance.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:50 AM   #5
(female)

mythreechildren HB User

Mine didn't start out when I was driving. I was usually at home and sometimes at school (teacher). The first time that I had one while I was driving was the night I ran into my husband's car. Before I always thought if it should happen while driving, I would have time to react and pull over. That was not the case that night. I remember the déjà vue experience as I always do. The complex partial seizure that happens after that, I have never remembered. The night I ran into my husband. He got out of the car at a traffic light and I slightly remember that part of it. I kept driving to church with my 3 children. I made it to church. I remember my son saying 'mom you're freaking me out, what's wrong with you'. I pulled into the parking lot and my husband and son were looking at the vehicles, and I remember my son saying 'dad she doesn't remember any of it'. I ignored them and kept right on walking into the building. It was about half way through Bible study that I started to realized that 'something' had happened. Most of the time I don't even realize the complex seizure even happened.

One happened in the hallway at school while I was being medicated for seizures. Another teacher followed me to my room and told me what I did in the hall. When she told me that, I clearly remembered the simple partial seizure. It felt like the room was very large but I was very small. My medication went up and the 6 month driving suspension started all over again.

Sometimes it's like déjà vue, sometimes it's like weird distortions around me. They are all different, but those I always remember. I feel like (just my uneducated opinion) the 'snapping out of it' experience you describe could be a complex partial...or at least that's what mine felt like even though I didn't know or understand what was happening to me. The most serious...in my opinion are the ones when I was driving. Not just because of the obvious reasons...I could have killed someone, but when those happened I was in a real fog and it took awhile to fully 'snap' out of it. That's the only 2 times I felt that way.

I was 47 when I was first diagnosed with epilepsy, but I had been having the déjà vue experiences for a long time before that. I had the tunnel vision feeling too...mine started to change as time went on. One time I remember an episode where I was crafting on a snow day home from school. I remember sitting at my dining room table just kind of staring, and then I remember the feeling as if I had made myself snap out of it. There are so many different auras and feelings that you can get, and mine changed over time.

Please see a dr asap. I didn't consider my auras as a problem until the night I hit my husband. If that had been someone else I had hit, and the police was called...I would have probably gone to jail because I did not respond in a normal fashion to my husband, and I know I wouldn't have with a stranger or a police officer. It's too serious with lifelong ramifications to either you or another innocent person to not have it checked out and treated.

The day after my last day of driving, my 9 year old twin girls were telling me what happened. They told me of a house that I had pulled into the driveway and hit their basketball goal...totally don't remember that at all. I drove the route I had taken the night before because we were on our way to my daughter's basketball game. They showed me the driveway, and oddly enough it was the house of a friend of mine. On my way home after that, there were 2 women walking their babies on the side of the road just before I got to my house. I realized that if I had a seizure then, I would have killed those people. I turned my keys over to my husband, and I haven't driven since. That was in September.

Please see a neuro as soon as you can. My sincerest best wishes to you.

Reply Reply