It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
(female)

colamaid2012 HB User
Unhappy Meds and side effects

Hi I am a epileptic I have been for over 36yrs now. Throughout these yrs I have taken many diff. which have given me many diff side effects. I'm currently taking lamictal 150mg twice a day, vimpat 150mg twice a day, and serquel 300mg at night only. Throughout the yrs my docs have always prefered that I take namebrand only. Except one of my insurance started giving me problems with paying for the name brand on my lamictal. Which I had to start taking the generic brand. Ever since I started taking the generic brand my sex drive has really started to go down. Ever since this all started occuring my romance life has really gone down. I have not been able to keep a relationship going. I live with my parent's due to my seizures, I know that they're getting older, and I don't want to have to be alone should I ever lose my parent's. I talked to my docs about this issue, and told him I believe it's due to the lamictal generic brand that has caused this side effect. He keeps telling me that the generic brand and the namebrand are one in the same, but I did some research on this, and it's a definate fact that there's a 40% to 80% difference between the two. I then had it printed it out and showed him the facts in these matters. He said that he would appeal to my insurance that he would which he did, and I'm now taking the name brand again but there was no change in these side effects. I believe that the long length of time that I had been taken the generic brand has caused a confusion in my chemical imbalance which is now sending mixed messages to my brain cells. I hope that I can get some feedback from some of ya'll that can give me some insight on how to look at this issue, and maybe some advice as well. Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
(male)

EpilepticKnight HB User
Re: Meds and side effects

Well im not an expert but i do have some experience with meds side effects and it may be that your body just has gotten all out of your system yet it actually depends on how long you were taking it, theres also the fact that it may have been absorbed into your bloodstream and then it may be permanent. Ive actually taken Dilantin for 23 years myself and it was absorbed into my blood stream so even the generic version Phenytoin wouldn't work, also because ive taken it for so long its actually lowered my Testosterone and most of my sperm is basiacly useless because of it so maybe you should talk to the Doc about getting that checked.

Reply Reply