It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #16
(female)

katbas44 HB User
Smile Re: Epilepsy and pregnancy.

Hi, new here to posting... I too have epilepsy with grand mal seizures.. I have a 21 year old son. Back then when I wanted to get pregnant, the doc said my phenobarbital (cheap, plain but it works for me) would be just fine. I ended up with daily seizures, I saw my neuro and my high risk ob/gyn's weekly, i ended up on disability and was home the entire pregnancy.. long story short.. he was 100% perfect. I know that doc's (including mine) always want to change drugs but I said this is working, let's stay with it. Granted my dose was doubled during the pregnancy and my son and I both had to "detox" when I had him and we both were on less...as I nursed him. Here's to wishing healthy babies to you....

Old 08-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #17
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User
Re: Epilepsy and pregnancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyhappy View Post
Thank you. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I'm very happy for you and wish you (and the little one) all the best! I still feel great with keppra have my next appointment is on 5th of September then I will stop taking lamotrigine (I'm taking now 200mg a day) so hope it will work without it, but I feel like it will ;-). And again CONGRATULATIONS!!! Great news!
Well those are great news too, Im sure you'll do fine with just keppra and don't forget to stay on prenatals n folic acid months before you plan to conceive. Hope to hear great news from you soon. Baby dust your way!

The Following User Says Thank You to 030free For This Useful Post:
babyhappy (09-08-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #18
(female)

babyhappy HB User

It's been a little over a month that I'm taking keppra, everything was ok but now the seizures are back since almost two weeks..., I'm going to see an other neurologists as soon as i get an appointment I'm really not happy with the one I have now.. anyway hope the other one will be better. I hope you feel good so far!? May I ask you how much keppra do you take daily??

Old 09-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #19
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

Quote:
It's been a little over a month that I'm taking keppra, everything was ok but now the seizures are back since almost two weeks..., I'm going to see an other neurologists as soon as i get an appointment I'm really not happy with the one I have now.. anyway hope the other one will be better. I hope you feel good so far!? May I ask you how much keppra do you take daily??
Hi, yes Im currently feeling better then the first 4 weeks, and taking 2000mgs/day. I do hope your next neuro will be of much help and find the way to control those spells so you can take your life back. keep us posted. Ill be keeping you in my prayers.

The following user gives a hug of support to 030free:
babyhappy (09-10-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #20
(female)

babyhappy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 030free View Post
Hi, yes Im currently feeling better then the first 4 weeks, and taking 2000mgs/day. I do hope your next neuro will be of much help and find the way to control those spells so you can take your life back. keep us posted. Ill be keeping you in my prayers.
I am glad you feel better hope the little one is doing great and the big sister must be already soo excited?!
Yeah I hope so too... I'm really tired of it! I'm taking 1500mg in the morning and 1250mg in the evening.. I so hoped that keppra would work for me too but it seems like it wouldn't :-(.... do you know any other medication that are also good for pregnancy?... I just was sooo happy that it worked and now we both are just disappointed ... and I don't really know what to do anymore, should I try any other medicine or just stay on what i know does works for me "valproate"... just dont know what to do anymore :-(... Thank you for your help!!! And take good care of yourself and the little once ;-)!

Old 09-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #21
Veteran
(female)

Hey dotn give up hope yet, You should defenetly stay on somehtign that is going to keep you spell free first, then focus on finding a good medication for pregnancy in the meantime. Speak to your Neuro, Im not sure if you read my first Thread "new information on keppra and pregnancy" But there I state that Keppra was not at the time a positive medication for pregnancy, but i took the risk and became pregnant on it while my nuero the head of the neurology department on on a out of state conferrence to get more info for me on this med and pregnancy, I was already 3 months pregnant when keppra was pronounced to be safe, but I had already joined the research team to be part of threir studies to help duture ladies on keppra. Now My point its that there's got to be more postive meds out there and that will work for other women a long with the folic acid and prenatals. You should also have your neuro do the research like mine did to help you stay on the medication that best helps you and also that will be fetus safe. Only research and time will tell. We all at the end become studies and its a trial and error. But I still stay positive and keep researching you'll find the med that will better suit you. When I see when neuro Ill ask her for other safe meds and post them. For now best of luck!

babyhappy (09-13-2012)
Old 09-27-2012, 06:08 AM   #22
(female)

babyhappy HB User

Sorry for not being on for so long but I didn't felt well. Well I'm still on Keppra but taking a lot more than before (3000mg a day), and it still not working for me I don't have the grand mal seizures (for now) but I do have the starring spells every day (can't tell how many times in a day). I changed my neurologist (since the last one seemed to be interested more in the money than in my health), my new neurologist did an other EEG (awake and a sleep ... and I shouldn't sleep a night before) he says he can see one of the spells on the EEG, he also says that Keppra alone won't work for me so he gave me Zonisamide (starting with 100mg a day for 2 weeks and then 100mg twice a day). This is the first time I heard about that kind of medicine, does anyone knows a little more about it??? And also I've been taking folic acid 5mg a day since April or May (not sure) anyway I needed a new prescription for it and I told him that and he said the folic acid in my prenatal should be enough (wich is just 1mg even tho he said to take it twice a day) so I am a little confused since all the time I got to hear from all other doctors that I need at least 5mg of folic acid, now I don't know if it is once again a "moneydoctor" or a person that became doctor to HELP ppl!!! Does anyone knows if i can get the folic acid prescription from my OB/GYN??? Thank you all!!! Have a great day.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:27 AM   #23
Veteran
(female)

babyhappy, Im very sorry to hear you had to go on another medication, but all that matters its that your spells are under control and that you have a new neurologist that cares. Now Im not sure about that new med you started taking but do lots of research before you think on concieving on it. Now Folic acid Must be atleast 4-5 mgs per day, I I say this by experienced. I been to 2 high risk OBGYN clinics and my neurologist both agreed that keppra mgs higher than 1000mg/day need 4mg minimal of folic acid to avoid nueral tube deffects on the fetus which occur within the first 3 weeks of pregnancy, and by the time some women realized they are expecting its too late, which is why you should start them months in advanced which you have. You can get buy them at GNC stores like I do no need for presciptions. I buy the 1ooomcg/ which eguals to 1mg tabs, and take them on my own. they are way cheaper too and no need for presciptions, my neuro actually told me to buy them there as well as the prenatals. I suggest if you plan to conceive within the next months stay on 4mg the least a day of folic acid. But if oyu plan to wait until your spell free and see about the new med and pregnancy, then just take the minimun which is 1mcg/day. I hope you get better soon, and that this new med wont be an issue with your future plans. We are here for you, and stay on the folic acid n prenatals. Talk Soon.

Laura

babyhappy (09-27-2012)
Old 09-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #24
(female)

babyhappy HB User

Thank you sooooo much!!!! I don't think he really cares but at least he is a little better than the other one. I don't trust doctors 100% anymore after all experiences I have had it's sad but true. Anyway I will continue taking folic acid 5mg a day (thank you a lot, I didn't know that I can get it without prescription) and of course the prenatal. Yes we will wait till we see if the new medicine does work for me and till we know more about it before getting pregnant again. I hope you and the baby are feeling great!!!! Take care and have a great day!

The following user gives a hug of support to babyhappy:
030free (09-27-2012)
Old 11-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #25
(female)

babyhappy HB User

Hello again, how are you and the baby doing so far? I am still on keppra (1125mg twice a day) and zonisamide/zonegran (150mg twice a day) I still have the starring episodes but not that bad anymore its getting better, they almost don't bother me anymore. Now yesterday we found out that I am pregnant :-D!!! I saw my neurologist and high risk OB already, my neurologist didn't seemed to be very worried he said "I shouldn't worry to much, there is nothing i can't do about it , I should try to enjoy the pregnancy". Both of the medicine are categories C. The high risk OB wasn't that positive, but well I have to live with that I guess, it is to early for an ultrasound since I am just like 4 weeks pregnant. I have been taking folig acid 5mg daily (since April or May) and prenatals (August), so I will hope and pray for the best for my little one. I do have one question tho, how do I sing up for the pregnancy research to help other women?

Old 11-03-2012, 11:52 PM   #26
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Hello again, how are you and the baby doing so far? I am still on keppra (1125mg twice a day) and zonisamide/zonegran (150mg twice a day) I still have the starring episodes but not that bad anymore its getting better, they almost don't bother me anymore. Now yesterday we found out that I am pregnant :-D!!! I saw my neurologist and high risk OB already, my neurologist didn't seemed to be very worried he said "I shouldn't worry to much, there is nothing i can't do about it , I should try to enjoy the pregnancy". Both of the medicine are categories C. The high risk OB wasn't that positive, but well I have to live with that I guess, it is to early for an ultrasound since I am just like 4 weeks pregnant. I have been taking folig acid 5mg daily (since April or May) and prenatals (August), so I will hope and pray for the best for my little one. I do have one question tho, how do I sing up for the pregnancy research to help other women?
Well CONGRATS!!! This is awesome news. I agree you shouldn't stress the pregnancy since its no good for baby. Now we already know keppra is safe while pregnant, and the other med your on it category C and neurologist its not worrying you will be treated as part of the trial which they will study your progress through the pregnancy and make sure this med can be added to the safe list in the near future, but I wouldn't worry and just enjoy your belly and pray like I did that baby will be okay even w those meds. Now You will undergo med level check ups through out your pregnancyto make sure that you have enough in your system since your blood levels will be doubling quickly and increasing with each trimester. You will also undergo EEG's maybe twice this whole pregnancy to also check your waves, I did on my first pregnancy. Now regarding those programs i cant post the sites, but look up your med and pregnancy registry to see where they have them and which number to call. keppra its listed and I joined both times, but not sure of your other med, research them. Also stay on your folic and prenatals till birth sometimes even after. Im 18 weeks and doing well too, I posted an update on my thread and its another girl! Well neuro will no longer see me just once more before birth but no test are needed this time around which its great. Im also being seen at a regular OB clinic and not high risk. Most likely you will too in your second if all goes well with your first. Ill be praying for your bub and keep us posted. Congrats again!!

Old 11-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #27
(female)

babyhappy HB User

Thank you! And thanks ALOT for the information I found out the number will register with them after my 1st OB/GYN appointment! And will keep you updated ;-)!

Old 03-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #28
(female)

Donatelife HB User

Hi I have had epilepsy since I was 9 years old. My first pregnancy I stopped all medicines (young and foolish) when i found out I was expecting ( I was on Tegetrol then. Thank goodness I didnt have a seizure. My second pregnancy wasnt until I was 35! I was taking Caratrol by then and continued to take it during my pregnancy. Both children are very healthy. I wish you all the luck--youll get there!!

Reply Reply