It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
(female)

Brainsick HB User
Smile Epilepsy and pregnancy.

I got married and naturally would like to have a family.I am on anti convulsants.Frisium,trileptal and epanutin.Has anyone had healthy kids while on these meds?Would love to hear anyones stories.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User
Re: Epilepsy and pregnancy.

First Ill like to congratulate you on your marriage. Now You are on many medications and some that are unhealthy for pregnancy. Not sure If you have read my pregnancy thread, but i gave birth to a beautiful baby girl 13 months ago. Now before I had her I was on trileptal and Keppra, but trileptal caused me to have a miscarriage when I was 6 weeks pregnant, and therefore the neurologist discontinued it. I then became pregnant again and I had a healthy baby girl while on keppra Only, which is now an approved medication for pregnancy since last year. Trileptal is not good at all for pregnancy and the other 2 that your on, I have never heard of them. You'll need to ask your neurologist so changes can be made months with anticipation. Im not sure of your sizure history or why your on so many meds at once, but i was seizure free for 4 years before I was taken off the trileptal and before I concieved. I know many women who have healthy babies while being epileptic, the problem would be the type of med, and if your still having spells, which can hurt the baby if your have one and get hurt.
These are the main concerns of the neurologists, and OBGYNs. Please take your time to speak to your neuro and get off the trileptal and ask about your other two meds, taking too many meds while pregnant its not a good idea either. Also you'll need to start on a prenatal atleast 1 year before you conceive and atleast 4mg a day of folic acid.
Please take time to research more, and speak to both the neuro and OBGYN, this is no easy road when its not planned. I had it easy and safely delivered after planning things with time and getting off the bad meds. Wouldn't like you to have a miscarriage like me, still hurt me due to the trileptal so speak to neuro soon. Any other questions we are here to help. Im planning my second baby very soon. Wish you all the best and Baby dust your way!!

The Following User Says Thank You to 030free For This Useful Post:
babyhappy (08-07-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
(female)

Brainsick HB User
Thumbs up Re: Epilepsy and pregnancy.

I had a partial temporal lobectomy but the surgeon removed healthy tissue.I hadnt even met my future husband to be at the time so naturally enough I wasnt even thinking about children.Ive been on folic acid for the past 14 years so I guess Im covered that way.
Have just picked up a 6 month prescription of epanutin today so I guess Ill have to wait another while.Hope to try lamictal then.Keep in touch and let me know how you get on with the next pregnancy.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainsick View Post
I had a partial temporal lobectomy but the surgeon removed healthy tissue.I hadnt even met my future husband to be at the time so naturally enough I wasnt even thinking about children.Ive been on folic acid for the past 14 years so I guess Im covered that way.
Have just picked up a 6 month prescription of epanutin today so I guess Ill have to wait another while.Hope to try lamictal then.Keep in touch and let me know how you get on with the next pregnancy.
Well I do hope this med works for you. Also dont forget your prenatals before you start trying. I will make another thread once I concieve again. Best of luck and keep us posted on your changes and pregnancy status when it occurs.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
(female)

babyhappy HB User
Unhappy Re: Epilepsy and pregnancy.

Hello everybody, I'm new on here and wanted to share my experience with epilepsy and pregnancy. I'm 27 years and got married December last year, I was already 2 month pregnant by then we didn't plan it but we were very happy about it. At this time I was on valproic acid 1000 mg in a day (didn't took folic acid). Well everything went well till 13th week the when the doctor told me that our baby has Spina Bifida... wich as everyone can imagine was a big shock for us, we thought a long time what to do but at the end decide not to get the baby we didn't want a life like that for him (it was a boy).. I was 16 week pregnant when I became him (had to take med. and get him natural way.. wich I must say was in Germany, don't know how it is here).. It took us a long time to try to get over it and move on. After that ( it was in March) I started to take Folic Acid 5mg daily I also asked my neuro to change the med to something what would be better for pregnancy she said Lamictal so I started to take it and slowly go away from valproc acid 2 days after I stopped taking valproic acid I had one seizure after an other... so I went to an other neuro and he said the best would be keppra so I started taking this 1000mg daily, the goal is to get away from lamictal which I take 200mg now. I have to say today is the first day that I'm taking keppra I can't say much about it but I feel good so far.. And after I have read all the threads, I have got hope to become a healthy baby one day and I am so thankful everyone for posting this information! Thank you all very much!!!!!!! I hope keppra will work out for me and we can have a healthy baby soon!

The following user gives a hug of support to babyhappy:
030free (08-07-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
(female)

Brainsick HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyhappy View Post
Hello everybody, I'm new on here and wanted to share my experience with epilepsy and pregnancy. I'm 27 years and got married December last year, I was already 2 month pregnant by then we didn't plan it but we were very happy about it. At this time I was on valproic acid 1000 mg in a day (didn't took folic acid). Well everything went well till 13th week the when the doctor told me that our baby has Spina Bifida... wich as everyone can imagine was a big shock for us, we thought a long time what to do but at the end decide not to get the baby we didn't want a life like that for him (it was a boy).. I was 16 week pregnant when I became him (had to take med. and get him natural way.. wich I must say was in Germany, don't know how it is here).. It took us a long time to try to get over it and move on. After that ( it was in March) I started to take Folic Acid 5mg daily I also asked my neuro to change the med to something what would be better for pregnancy she said Lamictal so I started to take it and slowly go away from valproc acid 2 days after I stopped taking valproic acid I had one seizure after an other... so I went to an other neuro and he said the best would be keppra so I started taking this 1000mg daily, the goal is to get away from lamictal which I take 200mg now. I have to say today is the first day that I'm taking keppra I can't say much about it but I feel good so far.. And after I have read all the threads, I have got hope to become a healthy baby one day and I am so thankful everyone for posting this information! Thank you all very much!!!!!!! I hope keppra will work out for me and we can have a healthy baby soon!
I am in the same boat.React badly to all anticonvulsants.The problem with neurologists is you are only ever a number!But never lose faith.I am 36 but I still refuse to give up hope.I am confident that one day I will be a mother and then work towards getting stable on meds.B sure and let me know you're progress.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Im extremely sorry for your lost. I know its not easy losing a pregnancy but God will send you guys another angel soon when your bosy its ready and your adjusted to the new med. Im on keppra as you have read, and My baby girl 14 months now its healthy. Do take your folic acid, keppra and prenatals like a ritual. Dont skip or miss. Also if you have read my keppra and pregnancy post you will see you will have no problems in your pregnacy while on keppra, you will be treated at a high risk clinic but all will be just fine, I had no spell while pregnant and baby had no issues in our out my womb. I believe I might be expecting again, but will make my next thread after I see my OB. Sending baby dust both your ways, and praying for little miracles

Old 08-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #8
(female)

babyhappy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 030free View Post
Im extremely sorry for your lost. I know its not easy losing a pregnancy but God will send you guys another angel soon when your bosy its ready and your adjusted to the new med. Im on keppra as you have read, and My baby girl 14 months now its healthy. Do take your folic acid, keppra and prenatals like a ritual. Dont skip or miss. Also if you have read my keppra and pregnancy post you will see you will have no problems in your pregnacy while on keppra, you will be treated at a high risk clinic but all will be just fine, I had no spell while pregnant and baby had no issues in our out my womb. I believe I might be expecting again, but will make my next thread after I see my OB. Sending baby dust both your ways, and praying for little miracles
Thank you all for the warm words! Today was my third day on keppra I must say I feel good ( and usually when I start change the med and it doesn't work for me I get seizures on the same or the next day), so I think it does work I really hope so! My next appointment at the neurologist is on 25th of August so I will tell you guys what he said. I forgot to say last time (4 days ago) he also said that I should go to the hospital and let them take the whole med away so that they can see a seizure and tell me if I really have epilepsy, I was really surprised to hear that I mean I have it now for 15 years (no doctor had see one of my seizures) so I am not sure what to think about it.... And also when I was just on lamictal (wich didnt worked) I had a different kind of seizure first I was just making noises like I am scared of something but I still can see and it was just few sec, I never had that before, few hours later I had a different kind of grand mal seizure (I have grand mal) I never had it like that either: at the beginning it was as always but just few sec, after that I saw my self having it I saw how I was shaking, making those noises, the spit coming out of my mouth and I also saw my sister holding my hand I even was thinking.. I never had it like that before.. Can someone please tell me (who has grand mal seizures) about how yours are? And I would really appreciate it if you could tell me what you think about all that hospital thing I just cant decide, I think that ppl who dont have epilepsy dont really know what they talking about. I'm happy to hear that your pregnancy went very well and your baby girl is healthy (gives me hope), let me know if you are expecting again and what the doc said ;-). (I am sorry if I did alot of mistakes here but I am still learning english, starting english course next week ;-).. so hope there wont be any mistakes anymore after I am done with it...lol).

Old 08-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Thank you all for the warm words! Today was my third day on keppra I must say I feel good ( and usually when I start change the med and it doesn't work for me I get seizures on the same or the next day), so I think it does work I really hope so! My next appointment at the neurologist is on 25th of August so I will tell you guys what he said. I forgot to say last time (4 days ago) he also said that I should go to the hospital and let them take the whole med away so that they can see a seizure and tell me if I really have epilepsy, I was really surprised to hear that I mean I have it now for 15 years (no doctor had see one of my seizures) so I am not sure what to think about it.... And also when I was just on lamictal (wich didnt worked) I had a different kind of seizure first I was just making noises like I am scared of something but I still can see and it was just few sec, I never had that before, few hours later I had a different kind of grand mal seizure (I have grand mal) I never had it like that either: at the beginning it was as always but just few sec, after that I saw my self having it I saw how I was shaking, making those noises, the spit coming out of my mouth and I also saw my sister holding my hand I even was thinking.. I never had it like that before.. Can someone please tell me (who has grand mal seizures) about how yours are? And I would really appreciate it if you could tell me what you think about all that hospital thing I just cant decide, I think that ppl who dont have epilepsy dont really know what they talking about. I'm happy to hear that your pregnancy went very well and your baby girl is healthy (gives me hope), let me know if you are expecting again and what the doc said ;-). (I am sorry if I did alot of mistakes here but I am still learning english, starting english course next week ;-).. so hope there wont be any mistakes anymore after I am done with it...lol).
I understand your English just fine, and good luck in your new classes. Now to the subject of the seizures, I had grand mals before I was diagnosed. I felt the same way you did, screams, shaking uncontrollably, eyes turning, toungue bitting and then pass out after a few mins. This i was told by my mom. I must defenetly agree with your dr. You must see a neurologist and get them to do the 24 hr EEG, maybe even a longer one, I had the 3 day and seven day ones done many times. This is how they were able to study my brain waves and know which type of seizures I were having. Then prescribe the correct medication for me. Now you must undergo these studies so they are better to help you and find you a solution before you start to carry a belly. Im happy to hear Keppra is workign good for you, Im positive It will continue to help you. Still as I mentioned before, the day you decide to conceive you must start taking folic acid and prenatals month sin advanced to avoid neural tube defects on the fetus. Sorry If I take long sometimes to reply but i havent been feeling to well w these nausea, i have my OB appt next month so will keep you posted. best of luck to you!

Old 08-12-2012, 05:53 AM   #10
(female)

babyhappy HB User

Quote:
I understand your English just fine, and good luck in your new classes. Now to the subject of the seizures, I had grand mals before I was diagnosed. I felt the same way you did, screams, shaking uncontrollably, eyes turning, toungue bitting and then pass out after a few mins. This i was told by my mom. I must defenetly agree with your dr. You must see a neurologist and get them to do the 24 hr EEG, maybe even a longer one, I had the 3 day and seven day ones done many times. This is how they were able to study my brain waves and know which type of seizures I were having. Then prescribe the correct medication for me. Now you must undergo these studies so they are better to help you and find you a solution before you start to carry a belly. Im happy to hear Keppra is workign good for you, Im positive It will continue to help you. Still as I mentioned before, the day you decide to conceive you must start taking folic acid and prenatals month sin advanced to avoid neural tube defects on the fetus. Sorry If I take long sometimes to reply but i havent been feeling to well w these nausea, i have my OB appt next month so will keep you posted. best of luck to you!
I hope you feel better by now. Now you actually reply very fast, I have to be sorry it takes me always longer to reply but we are working on the house right now so there is no much time. Thank you, I hope this class will help me I'm usually a fast learner in languages but I need to speak with ppl alot to learn it fast. Anyway back to the epilepsy progress, when you did the EEG did you took your medicine too? Cause I had the 3 days EEG but was taking my medicine so I didn't had a seizure. And did you ever saw your self while having a seizure? Oh yeah today is 5th day that I'm taking keppra still feel good!! Before I couldn't get out of the house alone or take a shower had to wait till my husband comes home from work ( I was even afraid to eat) because of so many seizures, I'm really happy now that I can do all those things to not being watched like a baby and I'm glad that he doesn't have to worry about me that much anymore, but he also says I should go to the hospital and let them do that and I want it somehow but I'm scared that an other seizure will will mess it all up again! Have a great day.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:04 AM   #11
(female)

babyhappy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainsick View Post
I am in the same boat.React badly to all anticonvulsants.The problem with neurologists is you are only ever a number!But never lose faith.I am 36 but I still refuse to give up hope.I am confident that one day I will be a mother and then work towards getting stable on meds.B sure and let me know you're progress.
I totally agree with you we all are just a number and if you are really really really lucky you will find a neurologist that will care about you and not just do his thing without even really know you or anything about you, then you have always like 10 min to tell them a little about your epilepsy and half of them will not even listening right to what you say! what kind of medication are you taking? I'm on keppra now and it works good so far for me (wish I would switched to it earlier ) Don't give up there is always a little hope ;-), and I pray that it will work out for you!!!

Old 08-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #12
(female)

jessie3414 HB User

Hello,
I just wanted to say that I really appreciate your positive story. My nuero wants me to switch from depakote (when I've been seizure free for 14 years) to keppra in order to hopefully become pregnant sometime in the next year. It makes me really nervous, as I've lived quite "normally" for so long, but your story is a very positive one to follow. Were you ever on depakote? Any thoughts you may have on how the switch will go/or what could be possible outcomes?
Thank you so much and congratulations!

Old 08-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I hope you feel better by now. Now you actually reply very fast, I have to be sorry it takes me always longer to reply but we are working on the house right now so there is no much time. Thank you, I hope this class will help me I'm usually a fast learner in languages but I need to speak with ppl alot to learn it fast. Anyway back to the epilepsy progress, when you did the EEG did you took your medicine too? Cause I had the 3 days EEG but was taking my medicine so I didn't had a seizure. And did you ever saw your self while having a seizure? Oh yeah today is 5th day that I'm taking keppra still feel good!! Before I couldn't get out of the house alone or take a shower had to wait till my husband comes home from work ( I was even afraid to eat) because of so many seizures, I'm really happy now that I can do all those things to not being watched like a baby and I'm glad that he doesn't have to worry about me that much anymore, but he also says I should go to the hospital and let them do that and I want it somehow but I'm scared that an other seizure will will mess it all up again! Have a great day.
Hi Glad to know your doing well on the keppra, well I knew you would. In regards to the EEG I had them lower my MGs, becuase I also couldn't have spells unless my meds were lowered, and it worked. By you being able to have one and they catch it on the exam, they will be much easier to diagnose you and find which type of seizures you have and where they originated. Well Im doing better, yes Im expecting again, but dont have my Ob apt until next month, but Ill post my new thread next month. For now I wish you all the best and keep doing what your doing

Old 08-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie3414 View Post
Hello,
I just wanted to say that I really appreciate your positive story. My nuero wants me to switch from depakote (when I've been seizure free for 14 years) to keppra in order to hopefully become pregnant sometime in the next year. It makes me really nervous, as I've lived quite "normally" for so long, but your story is a very positive one to follow. Were you ever on depakote? Any thoughts you may have on how the switch will go/or what could be possible outcomes?
Thank you so much and congratulations!
Hi wasn't sure who you were asking the question to, but Ill reply on my experiance. Well I have never been on depakote but heard its not a good medication for pregnancy, since I did all my research for 2 years before becoming pregnant. My neuro also told me depakote its not a safe med for pregnancy. I was on trileptal and keppra on my first pregnancy, but the trileptal caused me to have a misscariage so I got off and only stayed on the Keprra. My second pregnancy went through great and my now 14 month old, its in great health and was breastfed all 14 months. Now Im expecting again, but will be discussing this one later. I have my thread on my first experiance called "new information on keprra and Pregnancy" you can read that to give you a better in take on what you should do before and while your pregnancy. best of luck, and baby dust your way!!

Old 08-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #15
(female)

babyhappy HB User

Quote:
Hi Glad to know your doing well on the keppra, well I knew you would. In regards to the EEG I had them lower my MGs, becuase I also couldn't have spells unless my meds were lowered, and it worked. By you being able to have one and they catch it on the exam, they will be much easier to diagnose you and find which type of seizures you have and where they originated. Well Im doing better, yes Im expecting again, but dont have my Ob apt until next month, but Ill post my new thread next month. For now I wish you all the best and keep doing what your doing
Thank you. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I'm very happy for you and wish you (and the little one) all the best! I still feel great with keppra have my next appointment is on 5th of September then I will stop taking lamotrigine (I'm taking now 200mg a day) so hope it will work without it, but I feel like it will ;-). And again CONGRATULATIONS!!! Great news!

Reply Reply