It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
(female)

stretchopeg HB User
Phenobarbital

Hi, I'm been taking Phenobarbital for over 27 yrs. I've been seizure free for 27 yrs. I went to a new Neurologist and had an EEG Scan, and MRI, both came out good. He said the MRI showed I had no damage to my brain or head and told me I had a brain of a 20 yr old. So, He's weaning me off of Phenobarbital in 2 months. I was taking 2 64.8MG, so the first month, he cut me down to 1 pill, next month I take 1/2 pill, then the 3rd month no pill, On Oct 2nd, I go in for another EEG Scan to make sure all is still good. If I have a seizure before then, he will put me on a different drug that is not so severe.

I've had some problems with the first month, had some shakes, lots of sweating, and the headaches are killing me. Just in the last few days, the pain is so painful, the jabs of pain jerk my body, sometimes I'm asleep, and it wakes me up. I was told to take 2 Aleve, and to put cold compresses on my head. So this morning when I woke at 5am to a headache, I took to Aleve, got a frozen compress and put it on my pillow, went back to sleep.

I walk around at work with one tied around my neck. I have the AC on at work down to 66*...

Does anyone know or have you had any side effects weaning off of Phenobarbital??

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User
Re: Phenobarbital

Hi, that sounds quick and drastic. Phenobarbital is a barbituate and you're definitely getting withdrawl signs. Why did he cut you one pill so fast? I have a cousin that is in her 70's and still takes the stuff after all these years. I take 90 mg. of it and also take Keppra and Vimpat. I'd be kind of leary of the doctor. Are you able to drive? Be careful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

I would get rid of this dr. so fast, it would make his head swim!! I have been on Mysoline, which has phenobarb in it, since the 1950's and have had no trouble with the drug itself. I did have trouble with a neuro, who wanted me to go off of it and get on something different and it cost me three years of my life. If I were you, I would not mess with success and I would stay on the medication. From my experience, neurologists like to toy with different medications. You have been seizure free for quite some time, so why toy with this?

Old 08-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

I would get rid of this dr. so fast, it would make his head swim!! I have been on Mysoline, which has phenobarb in it, since the 1950's and have had no trouble with the drug itself. I did have trouble with a neuro, who wanted me to go off of it and get on something different and it cost me three years of my life. If I were you, I would not mess with success and I would stay on the medication. From my experience, neurologists like to toy with different medications. You have been seizure free for quite some time, so why toy with this?

Closed Thread