It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
(female)

peyto HB User
does this sound like epilepsy

I have a baby of 17months and about 6months ago she had what I thought at the time was a breath holding attack where she lost consciousness and went blue in the lips and very floppy. It lasted for probably less than a minute.
Then suddenly last month she had another 4 more episodes over a 2week period, however there didn't seem to be a trigger, no upset or getting hurt . on one occasion my mother called me into the room as my daughter was walking across the room and my mum said she didn't look right, her eyes were fixed and her lips were going blue. As I reached the room she had flopped over her dolly pram and as I picked her up she was floppy, her eyes had rolled backwards and her lips were blue. I didn't know what to do.Within 30 seconds she began to breath again although remained quite floppy and pale, she seemed to just stare into space.Then a couple of minutes later she just got up and carried on playing as if nothing had happened.
We called doctor who has referred her to a piediatrician and said he didn't know if the episodes were breath holding attacks or epilepsy. After her last one another doctor said it sounded more like epilepsy.It has now been 3 weeks since her last siezure.
I am rather confused and concerned especially as she stops breathing during these episodes. Does anyone else suffer or have a child who has had siezures like my daughters or have knowledge about epilepsy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
(female)

Chrissy26 HB UserChrissy26 HB UserChrissy26 HB UserChrissy26 HB UserChrissy26 HB UserChrissy26 HB UserChrissy26 HB User
Re: does this sound like epilepsy

My dh has seizures and his lips have never turned blue. It sounds to me she has a breathing problem. I think it's time these doctors start running tests on her lungs. I pray she'll be ok. Good luck to you.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
(female)

beige138 HB User

I know how alarmed you must feel when these episodes happen. My daughter was the same age when she had her first seizure (she was diagnosed with epilepsy two years later). However, I honestly think this sounds more like apnea than seizures. Apnea episodes occur when the tonsils and/or adenoids block the airway, reducing the ability to get oxygen into the lungs. The reduced oxygen causes blue lips, and can also cause the unconsciousness. For this issue, I'd suggest taking your baby to an ear,nose, and throat doctor (otolaryngologist). Out of all of the different kinds of seizures my daughter has had (grand mal aka tonic clonic, complex partial, simple partial, and absence), she's never stopped breathing. It could still be seizures, so I also suggest taking her to a neurologist.

The Following User Says Thank You to beige138 For This Useful Post:
peyto (09-01-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
(female)

jalynn07 HB User

I started having seziures when I was a kid and was diagnosed with epilespy. After becoming an adult I found out all my seziures was actually not seziures at all is was a rare heart condition called long qt syndrome. My lips always turned blue. You may want to ask the DR for an EKG of the heart to look for a prolong qt interval. Alot of people are misdiagnosed with epilespy with this condition. It is genetic so one of her parents my have it but may have no symptoms. Is there a family history of seziures or sudden death in the young in your family?

The Following User Says Thank You to jalynn07 For This Useful Post:
peyto (10-20-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
(female)

Rebecca's Mom HB User

Hi - ask to have an eeg done asap. Hope it all works out.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

Peyto: You posted in July, it's now October. Did you ever find anything out?

Reply Reply

Tags
breathing, eyes, floppy, lips, siezures