It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User
Thumbs up Keppra and pregnancy Part II... Second baby on the way!!

Let me start with a quick overview. As most have read by now on my first thread "New info on keppra and Pregnancy", I had brain surgery 4/07 which stopped my seizures but kept me on meds. Had a Misscariage on my first preganancy at 6 weeks and an D&C due to the trileptal med I was on at the time. I was taken off the trileptal and left only on keppra to conceive again. Which I did 2 months later. My child went full term and i was induced at 40 weeks, but everything was fine and no seziures. At the time was on keppra 3000mg/day. My daughter was healthy and I breastfeed her for 14th months while on keppra. 6 months post partum, they decreased my keppra to 2000mgs/day which Im currently on. Now we are expectign our second child and Im 14 weeks along and on Keppra 2000mgs/day. Folic acid and prenatals daily. So far so good, my daughter now 15 months is healthy and eats everything, the keppra had no effects on her, and Im hoping it wont on the second belly either. I was in the high risk clinic for my daughter's belly but not this time around. Im being seen at the regular OB clicnic in another hopsital and so far all its good and I heard my bubs heartbeat twice.
I write these blogs to help women on keppra who are trying to conceive but dont have refferences, it happened to ne 4 years ago and I know its not easy taking risks. Im on my second experience and will continue to post all nine months and after birth and answer any questions anyone would have. Keppra has been qualified as a safe drug for pregnancy in 2010, and still no negatives effects have surfaced. Im also part of the keppra studies for the past 2 years, and all results are positive they say. Ill be posting soon again.

Last edited by 030free; 09-29-2012 at 09:09 PM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 030free For This Useful Post:
babyhappy (11-03-2012), cheryx3 (09-28-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
(female)

Brainsick HB User
Re: Keppra and pregnancy Part II.. Second baby on the way!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 030free View Post
Let me start with a quick overview. As most have read by now on my first thread "New info on keppra and Pregnancy", I had brain surgery 4/07 which stopped my seizures but kept me on meds. Had a Misscariage on my first preganancy at 6 weeks and an D&C due to the trileptal med I was on at the time. I was taken off the trileptal and left only on keppra to conceive again. Which I did 2 months later. My child went full term and i was induced at 40 weeks, but everything was fine and no seziures. At the time was on keppra 3000mg/day. My daughter was healthy and I breastfeed her for 14th months while on keppra. 6 months post partum, they decreased my keppra to 2000mgs/day which Im currently on. Now we are expectign our second child and Im 14 weeks along and on Keppra 2000mgs/day. Folic acid and prenatals daily. So far so good, my daughter now 15 months is healthy and eats everything, the keppra had no effects on her, and Im hoping it wont on the second belly either. I was in the high risk clinic for my daughter's belly but not this time around. Im being seen at the regular OB clicnic in another hopsital and so far all its good and I heard my bubs heartbeat twice.
I write these blogs to help women on keppra who are trying to conceive but dont have refferences, it happened to ne 4 years ago and I know its not easy taking risks. Im on my second experience and will continue to post all nine months and after birth and answer any questions anyone would have. Keppra has been qualified as a safe drug for pregnancy in 2010, and still no negatives effects have surfaced. Im also part of the keppra studies for the past 2 years, and all results are positive they say. Ill be posting soon again.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
(female)

Brainsick HB User

I read your post before,questioned my doctor and he did agree to try me on lamictal.my seizures startted again after 2 years free but they are only happening at night which is a blessing.The only thing that keeps me going is you get a chance to get stabilised again but you never get a chance to turn a womans clock backwards.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainsick View Post
I read your post before,questioned my doctor and he did agree to try me on lamictal.my seizures startted again after 2 years free but they are only happening at night which is a blessing.The only thing that keeps me going is you get a chance to get stabilised again but you never get a chance to turn a womans clock backwards.
Brainsick, I can totally understand the pressure of a woman' clock been there myself when i was 26 which is what forced me to get the surgery in the first place, to one day be able to have children. Now I understand the most important thing for you now is to get your spells under control, becuase even if you have spells at night as you mentioned, you can still get pregnant but your risk of injuries to you or baby are much higher which its a major concern to neurologist and OBs. Another major concern its the effect the lamictal could have on a fetus. Im not familiar with lamictal, but you should ask your doctor if its a safe medication to take if your planning on starting a family. Also ask the pharmaseutical company of lamictal about their studies and its effects on pregnancy, which if what I did with keppra and how I got alot of positive information from. Ask and do as much research as possible. Still remember that the most important thing its controlling your spells, and if this is of any help, I met many ladies in their late 30s and 40s at my OB clinics having healthy babies. The medicine its so advanced nowdays that Drs will work with you and care for you well. Start with all the research and keep me informed of your progress, Ill be praying for you

Last edited by 030free; 10-12-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Re: Keppra and pregnancy Part II... Second baby on the way!!

Quick update. Im 18 weeks today. Went to the neuro got my levels checked and all its well. Unlike the first pregnancy which I would see her 4-5 times per trimester, this time I've seen her once per trimester. So my third and final visit will be next year. Also no EEGs were requiered for this pregnancy, which makes me more happy. I also found out Im expecting another baby girl! As long as she's healthy Im happy. Still on my Folic acid and prenatals.

Counting the weeks till delivery.. Second baby girl on the way!!

The Following User Says Thank You to 030free For This Useful Post:
babyhappy (11-03-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
(female)

KrysalIam HB User

Wow! Can't tell you how very happy I am that you started this blog back the first time. Long story short. I was just diagnosed with seizures in Feb. 2012. I had had several miscarriages before that, even though I had 2 full-term deliveries in 1994 and 1999. So the miscarriages were quite a mystery. Interesting enough, I just took a prenancy test on Sat. and am pregnant now and am currently taking 2000 Kepra daily and took off work to get through to neurologist and ask about what I should do as far as the meds are concerned--my concern being the health of the baby. So, though I am still waiting to hear back from the doctor, this gives me great peace and hope just to hear your testimony. To God be the glory for it all!

Old 11-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

[QUOTE=KrysalIam;5091560]Wow! Can't tell you how very happy I am that you started this blog back the first time. Long story short. I was just diagnosed with seizures in Feb. 2012. I had had several miscarriages before that, even though I had 2 full-term deliveries in 1994 and 1999. So the miscarriages were quite a mystery. Interesting enough, I just took a prenancy test on Sat. and am pregnant now and am currently taking 2000 Kepra daily and took off work to get through to neurologist and ask about what I should do as far as the meds are concerned--my concern being the health of the baby. So, though I am still waiting to hear back from the doctor, this gives me great peace and hope just to hear your testimony. To God be the glory

Amen! Let me start by congratulating you on the pregnancy. I know how hard miscarriages can be on someone, but only God know why they weren't conceived, and why he waitted until now for you to get blessed again. I do wanna remind you to start on the folic acid ASAP, as well as the prenatals. You dont need a prescription from your neuro to buy them, so go to either GNC, vitamin shop or any other vitamin place and get them on your own. Ill suggest what all neurologist suggest, 4mg of folic acid a day, and 1 prenatal daily. You have a 20 day window from when the fetus is conceived to star the folic acid and for it to work and not have any nueraltube deffects. I urge you to start that NOW if you haven't already.
Now regarding the seizures, Im not sure why they started after you had kids, and wether or not keppra its keeping them under control, which i hope it is, because thats neuro mayor concerns to avoid you having a spell while prego and getting injured or the baby. So do stay ontop of your meds, folic acid, prenatals, and see your nuero often to make sure fetus its developing properly. Once again congrats!! and Im glad I can help somone through our personal experiances, this is why we are here. Any questions ask, and keep me updated on the belly

Last edited by 030free; 11-19-2012 at 03:06 PM.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:06 AM   #8
(female)

KrysalIam HB User

Thanks again. Yes, gotta get folic acid today, and going to see Neuro today. They started me on Kepra only after one seizures because my eeg/ekg? activity was very active, is the best I understood. Anyway, I am wondering what OB they will send me to, as I feel like that's a very important piece as well. I guess I will find out today. I believe God trumps all windows but know the importance of wisdom...that folic acid just keeps coming to me. Going to Drug Mart this morning. Anyway, will keep you posted. It's very cool to have someone out there who's been there. Your testimony is very encouraging.
God bless you and yours.

The following user gives a hug of support to KrysalIam:
030free (11-21-2012)
Old 01-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

hey happy new yr! was wondering how things went at the DR? got your folic acid?
Im almost 29 weeks and baby girl its doing good. Got all my test done so far and all looking great even her heart. Im doing good as well aside from the normal tireness you get in the thrid trimester and my feet hurting if i walk for long periods of time. But otherwise doing well and looking forward to meeting her in 3 months

Old 02-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrysalIam View Post
Thanks again. Yes, gotta get folic acid today, and going to see Neuro today. They started me on Kepra only after one seizures because my eeg/ekg? activity was very active, is the best I understood. Anyway, I am wondering what OB they will send me to, as I feel like that's a very important piece as well. I guess I will find out today. I believe God trumps all windows but know the importance of wisdom...that folic acid just keeps coming to me. Going to Drug Mart this morning. Anyway, will keep you posted. It's very cool to have someone out there who's been there. Your testimony is very encouraging.
God bless you and yours.
Well writting once more to ask how the dr appiontments have gone, both the OB and neuro. How's the pregnancy so far? Did you start that folic acid and prenatals? I'm praying for your baby and do hope I hear from you this month. Ill be giving birth next month and Im very excited since baby girl #2 has been doing great as well. Take care and hope to hear from you soon.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:07 AM   #11
(female)

KrysalIam HB User

I am sorry that I have not responded to posts in a bit...no other excuse than "busy life." So far, so good. Still taking 2000mg Kepra daily, 1 low-dose aspirin, and 5 folic acid + prenatal, of course. I am 18 weeks now and will be going to reg OB tomorrow so I will try to post again. I was scheduled to see high-risk OB on the 11th but she had to reschedule me for the 25th. That is to be the anatomy/ultrasound/sex of the baby visit Will let ya know what happens. I also have been diagnosed with antiphospholipid syndrome and my regular doctor rec. heparin shots 2X day, as the clotting my have been responsible for former miscarriages. My hr OB agreed so I have been taking those as well. I do monthly kepra levels to ensure that my dosage doesn't need to be changed bc of weight gain. I...yiyi...Seems like a lot on paper...but it's all for the baby. I really do believe in Jesus and divine healing and I am exercising my faith in that direction...for complete divine healing for me and my baby. Of course, I will use wisdom and allow Jesus to work through the doctors, but "by His stripes I am healed." So anyway, until next time, have a blessed day and God bless you everyday!

Old 02-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Glad to know you and baby are doing well. Will be looking forward to your update soon. Im also a strong believer in our Lord and know He has control over everything. Godbless

Old 02-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #13
(female)

Midgers HB User
Talking Re: Keppra and pregnancy Part II... Second baby on the way!!

Hi everyone!
Great to read these threads
I had a bouncy, healthy baby girl last year who is now 16 months old...she's just totally gorgeous! And no 2 is on the way as well!! Nuchal scan looked good, have 20 wk anomaly scan in a few days. I'm registered with the epilepsy uk pregnancy register, they had 135 births recorded when I phoned with my first enquiry and said keppra was looking like the safest e med of them all! I must register again, its in my list of things to do! Ill be interested to see what figures they're at, ill let you know if I find out
My little girl is bright, alert, active and appears to have no problems. I'm on 3000mg and breastfeeding til 6 months. I occasionally worry about long term, especially with the latest news about valproate being linked to autism, but I am led to believe keppra works in a very different way and it quite a different drug, hence could be the safest.
Good luck everyone!! Lovely to be in touch x
Ps anyone notice a girl trend going on?!

The following user gives a hug of support to Midgers:
030free (02-24-2013)
Old 02-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgers View Post
Hi everyone!
Great to read these threads
I had a bouncy, healthy baby girl last year who is now 16 months old...she's just totally gorgeous! And no 2 is on the way as well!! Nuchal scan looked good, have 20 wk anomaly scan in a few days. I'm registered with the epilepsy uk pregnancy register, they had 135 births recorded when I phoned with my first enquiry and said keppra was looking like the safest e med of them all! I must register again, its in my list of things to do! Ill be interested to see what figures they're at, ill let you know if I find out
My little girl is bright, alert, active and appears to have no problems. I'm on 3000mg and breastfeeding til 6 months. I occasionally worry about long term, especially with the latest news about valproate being linked to autism, but I am led to believe keppra works in a very different way and it quite a different drug, hence could be the safest.
Good luck everyone!! Lovely to be in touch x
Ps anyone notice a girl trend going on?!
Midgers I want to start by congratulating you on your first born and second baby on the way. Please do come back and let me know what the scans shows and the gender if you find out. So are you only on keppra? or also on valporate? why are you concerned with it if I may ask? are you seizure free? Also saw you said you breastfeeding until 6 months, why? I breastfeed my first girl for 14 months and I plan to breasfeed the second hopefully a year as well. Please do join the keppra registry again, I did both times and its a great way to help other women know they are safe getting pregnant while on Keppra. My second girl will be born in 4 weeks and Im so excited Shes doing well and its healthy. My 21 month old is also big, smart, talkative, outgoing and healthy most importantly.
I have noticed the girly trend in the past years but I think thats a good thing, we make the world a better place

Godbless, Laura

Last edited by 030free; 02-24-2013 at 04:58 PM.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #15
(female)

Midgers HB User

Hi again!! I'm posting from my mobile so apologies on advance for typos and keeping it brief!! Had scan today..all looks healthy and fabulous! ) and its a lil fella!! We're so excited the decision on breast feeding was m daughters. Once I started weaning and gave her first bottle, she refused me!!! But I had suspected that at mth 5 I was producing less so think was the best thing. Hope I can do 6 mths again I loved every minute of it. That's fab u managed to keep up so long I'm only on keppra. I don't worry much, but with the news about valproate it makes me wonder as lamictal used to be considered one of the safest meds and we don't have long term data (which might show other conditions like autism etc). Bt hey, I'm a glass half full person and I'm optimistic so we've gone for it. Like I said, it's jus wen news like that of valproate comes out it is makes me think as I usually don't give it any thought!! If that makes sense?! Wa u must be big now jus 3 ish weeks to go?! Good luck! Hope it's like shelling a pea this time! They say second times is easier xx

Closed Thread