It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
(female)

shynee32 HB User
6 year old's eyes roll back and falls back

Starting around when my daughter, now 6 and in 1st grade, started Kindergarten(she had already had a year of school in PreK)-she would be talking and her eyes would roll up(not back in her head), and she would at the same time seem to lose her balance and fall backward, but she wouldn't fall down, she would catch herself. She still does it, but like tonight she did it when I was getting her ready for her bath and taking her shirt off over her head and she fell back and almost fell in the tub.

It isn't getting worse, but it isn't getting better. We asked her teachers and they said she doesn't do it at school.

Does anyone have any ideas of what is causing this, and should I have her see the doctor about it? I really have no idea of where to start, so I am starting here.

Thank you for your help.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:37 AM   #2
(female)

Dennerz HB User
Re: 6 year old's eyes roll back and falls back

I have complex partial epilepsy from when I was 8 years old.My first two seizures were ones in which I felt incredibly unwell was sick and when i was going back to bed my mum and dad saw my eyes roll back too and I got unbalanced and fell on the floor before I had a long deep sleep. Now the symptoms are just dribbling, talking jibberish, loss of balance followed by tiredness and a headache. Everyones epilepsy has different symptoms and there are different types,there are also things that can trigger my seizures such as stress tiredness or general illness.The medication im on limits them to 1 or 2 a month and I'd recommend you get it checked out. By the sounds I doubt its serious but im sure it would be easier for both you and your daughter if you knew exactly what was going on and a solution to control it.Go to your doctor make the suggestion of epilepsy and explain the symptoms you have witnessed

I hope all gets sorted and this was a help
Kind regards,
Deanna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2012, 05:27 AM   #3
(female)

shynee32 HB User

Thank you for your reply! Since my post, we have been to the Mayo Clinic(the main one in Rochester, MN) and she has been diagnosed with Jeasons, which is a rare type of epilepsy. She's having general seizures(across the brain) and eye seizures. She's on Depakote, but she's still having them, though less. She might have to supplement with another anticonvulsant to get them under control. She's having an MRI this Thursday, just to rule out any other causes, since Jeasons is so rare. She might also have some gene testing done, since epilepsy is a genetic disorder. So we're on the road to getting this handled.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
(female)

Dennerz HB User

Im glad to hear the amount has lowered , im sure it comes as a relief to you both.It may take a few trails to get the right medication and dosage but once the best working one is found they should be easy enough to control. I've had an MRI and two EEG's but no genetic testing as no known relatives within my family have ever had a seizure and i was told there were no significant abnormalities found in my scan. I'm sure it will all be sorted out very soon , the sooner the better.

Reply Reply

Tags
eye rolling, losing balance