It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
(male)

kozack HB User
Do I really need medication ?

I'm 19 now and two years ago I had a grand mal seizure while working, a pretty severe one I would say. I turned blue and wasn't breathing for some time. I was rushed to the hospital and returned home later that day. The night before I was out drinking, had 5 beers about, got about 6 hours of sleep, didn't eat breakfast and didn't drink much water in the morning before going to work. It wasn't the first time ive done that, and there had been plenty worse occasions in terms of amount drinkin. I got an EEG and my neurologist diagnosed me with epilepsy..Was put on Valprioc acid 1000mg a day. All this happened within a two week period. Ive been on varying doses of 500mg- 750mg since, battling the horrible side effects and currently there at their peak. Im fatigued, dizzy, swollen ankles, digestion problems, gas, side pains, overall physical. At 500mg I suffer from depression, mood problems, anxiety, so I prefer to deal with the physical side effects.

I only had 1 well documented seizure in my life, the one described above, Ive woken up with a bit tongue.. and I passed out once at subway, debatable if it was a seizure or just If I was low blood sugar, I remember feeling sick to my stomach than passing out. (hot summer day, not eating). I also got a EEG done about 4 years ago and there was no signs of epilepsy than..I'm not saying I don't have epilepsy.. but do I need to be on this heinous medication? I mean Ive only had one well documented seizure..I read a statistic that on average 10% of people have a seizure once in there life. Ive put myself in situations this past summer where if I was going to have a seizure I would have..( was dealing with depression, anxiety, depression in which i can majorly attribute to this medication at 500mg, where as now at 750mg I'm a new person) I binge drank for three days, topped off with snorting 8 of my moms antidepressants ( which happen to cause seizures in high doses), I stayed up after the binge drinking for 2 days straight not eating or drinking because I was wired off my moms "amphetamine" like anti depressants. (Venlefaxine I think). I know I made poor decisions however I have yet to have a seizure. I am mentally stable now, involved with school and would really like to come off this medication, opinions?
(I apologize for lack of punctation and grammar, just want to get my story/question out there)

Last edited by kozack; 10-18-2012 at 07:38 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: Do I really need medication ?

I would say follow the doctors orders. If in a few years you have not had any seizures then ask the doc if you can be taken off of the medications.

Also let the doctor know if you are having symptoms like you shared on here. Be it balance, sleep, vision, appetite...whatever. Let them know. You do have to give Depakote time. It takes a few weeks to normalize in your system. So don't adjust unless instructed to.

HOWEVER log any seizures or odd symptoms you experience (balance, vision, etc). Be honest with the doctor. Let them know if you drink or use drugs. **IF** nothing else shows up, they might be willing to reduce/remove the medication. But time is needed. They will NOT remove medications after just a short time. They need to get to know your case and how your body seems to be acting/reacting.

--Travis

Reply Reply