It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
(female)

ShatteredRising HB User
Seizures When Falling Asleep?

I will be lying in bed on the brink of falling asleep, when I feel a funny feeling in my body like an electrical charge, I might smell a smell that isn't really there, and then I feel "pulses" in my brain and my hearing will pulsate as well. This is normally followed by an rush of adrenaline and I will jump out of bed. I may have twitches in my legs, but normally it is just an intense pain in my limbs along with a very odd sensation in my stomach and chest. I feel as if I need to vomit and use the restroom at the same time, but never do. It is almost as if my digestive tract is resetting itself. Palpitations and tremors follow and the intense pain continues. My brain feels like it is shutting down and I'm forcing myself to stay conscious. These episodes usually last 10-30 minutes and take up to an hour or longer to fully recover from them. Once I recover, I am extremely calm and super relaxed.
The next day I will feel out of it and usually be quite agitated along with having a migraine and blurred vision. I can go months without experiencing an episode, but occasionally I will get them multiple times per month.
I don't have an official diagnosis at this time. I'm hoping others here have experiences similar to mine who can share what has helped them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
(female)

Nicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB User
Re: Seizures When Falling Asleep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatteredRising View Post
I will be lying in bed on the brink of falling asleep, when I feel a funny feeling in my body like an electrical charge, I might smell a smell that isn't really there, and then I feel "pulses" in my brain and my hearing will pulsate as well. This is normally followed by an rush of adrenaline and I will jump out of bed. I may have twitches in my legs, but normally it is just an intense pain in my limbs along with a very odd sensation in my stomach and chest. I feel as if I need to vomit and use the restroom at the same time, but never do. It is almost as if my digestive tract is resetting itself. Palpitations and tremors follow and the intense pain continues. My brain feels like it is shutting down and I'm forcing myself to stay conscious. These episodes usually last 10-30 minutes and take up to an hour or longer to fully recover from them. Once I recover, I am extremely calm and super relaxed.
The next day I will feel out of it and usually be quite agitated along with having a migraine and blurred vision. I can go months without experiencing an episode, but occasionally I will get them multiple times per month.
I don't have an official diagnosis at this time. I'm hoping others here have experiences similar to mine who can share what has helped them.
It sounds similar to an "aura" to me, which is a simple partial seizure, but it's only classified as an "aura" if it leads to a bigger seizure which would be partial loss of consciousness (complex partial seizure) or full loss of consciousness (grand mal/tonic-clonic seizure), which is what I have.

My seizures are always on the brink of falling asleep...I'm starting to drift off and then I get a funny feeling experience visual disturbances, such as seeing white blinking lights, as well as colourful bursts of light, tingling in my toes, dizziness, and on the verge of passing out. Then I do lose consciousness and go on to have a tonic-clonic seizure as my hubby is my witness.
Only twice I've had this warning (aura) before a big seizure happens. Once I had a seizure in the middle of sleeping.

I also have simple partials where I experience visual disturbances, in the past, I have also experienced auditory disturbances (all sounds are muffled and muted and sort of echo-y---best way to describe it), and I get the extreme nausea feeling but it's not really nausea...it's different, I know it's a partial seizure. Partial seizures typically only last a few seconds to a min. or two.

If I were you, I'd get a journal and write down everything that you experience and when you experience it...see your family Dr. and see if you can get a referral to a neurologist or epitologist.

I am on medication and have not had a tonic-clonic in 3 yrs. I still have the odd partial (the funny nausea feeling) and it seems to come once a month, and for several consecutive days...it also seems to happen just before or during my menustral cycle.

I also used to get extreme headaches after my big seizures and would sleep for a full day following a seizure....other tell-tale signs of these seizures (if you have no one to witness them)...sore muscles, scratches on your body, bitten lip, bitten sore tongue....i've been through it all.

Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
(female)

Helen6090 HB UserHelen6090 HB User
Re: Seizures When Falling Asleep?

I have that to when I go to sleep! I have epilepsy and I am on tablets but when I came of them I had mini seizures.. I thought I had been asleep and when I wake up I feel like I'm going to be sick... And 24 hours after that I have a full seizure! Scary stuff

Reply Reply