It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
(female)

babyhappy HB User
Zonegran & Keppra pregnancy

Hello everyone, this is my second pregnancy the first one was on Valproic Acid 500mg twice a day (some of u may also know it as Depakote), my baby had spina bifida because of the medicine I took, I had a still birth at 17 weeks.
I am now 14 weeks pregnant and have done so far all the ultrasounds (for the first trimester) also the 3-D ultrasound, my baby is doing good and everything looks like it supposed to. To my medicine I am taking Zonegran 150mg twice a day and Keppra 750mg twice a day, Folic Acid 5mg and Prenatal Vitamins. I tryed to be only on one kind of medication but is not working for me and this combination does not works very good too I still have starring spells sometimes but no grand mal seizures. I hope it can help someone.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User
Re: Zonegran & Keppra pregnancy

Hi there, good to see your pregnancy is going well so far, and that its healthy. Boy or girl? Now its the first time I hear of the Zonegran med, but if its helping you keep the gran mals under control then I guess that all the neuro are looking for. Now did you find other women who had healthy babies on this med? After birth will they change you again to somethign that will also control your spells? N I hope your allowed to breastfeed on that med, I know Keppra is safe but Not sure what neuros think of the other. Your the first case I hear so keep me posted. Im 31 weeks and baby girl doing well and moving lots, my 19 month old also doing well, so all I can do Its be thankful everyday to God. Bless you and your belly

Laura

The Following User Says Thank You to 030free For This Useful Post:
babyhappy (01-24-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
(female)

babyhappy HB User

Hi :-)! I'm glad to hear that you the baby and the big sister to be are doing great!!! I don't know yet if it is a girl or a boy my next appointment is on January 29th and I hope they will be able to tell :-). I didnt know anything about Zonegran before either and I probably would try something else before staying on this medication but it was the only one left that they call "safe for pregnancy" he looked it up for me and said it is the same category as keppra I believe it was "C". I found few women that were pregnant on it but not as many as with Keppra their kids are healthy so far, so I can only hope and pray that my will be healthy too. I have also an appointment with my Neurologist tomorow I will ask then about breastfeeding. Will keep you updated. Take care.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

Thanks, and thats a relieve if some women had healthy kids on it, even if it was just a few. I also recommend you join the research team on this med so you can be a positive statistic and other future women can also feel comfortable when planning a pregnancy on this med. The keppra registry I did for both pregnancies and you can just google it and join as well. Im very happy that its a type C and I have faith all will be fine. Will be waitting for your replies. have a nice day!

The following user gives a hug of support to 030free:
babyhappy (02-11-2013)
babyhappy (02-11-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 05:55 AM   #5
(female)

babyhappy HB User

Hi Laura! I hope u r doing well. Sorry for the late reply didn't had time :-/. Anyway I had an other ultrasound and its a babygirl :-D, she is doing well and I can feel her moving :-)!! I don't have any news about breastfeeding yet but my neurologist was supposed to finish her research and tell me the results at my next appointment which is next week, I will let u know what they say. I'm in the research team since I found out that i am pregnant, I don't want any other women to go through something like I had just because there is no enough research on the new medication, and the doctors don't know better. And I'm sooooo happy that I found your thread I didnt know anything about keppra either and back then you gave me hope! Thank you so much that you put your life story out here you can't imagine how much it helped me!!!! I was trying to send u a private msg but can't find how it works :-P... Anyway I know you are getting close to your due date so in case I won't hear from you before your big day I wanted to wish you all the best!!!!!! Bless you and your family! Kristina

The following user gives a hug of support to babyhappy:
030free (02-11-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Awww kristina Im so Happy for the great news, and to know your baby girl its healthy My middle name is Christina, what a coincidence...lol Well Im just glad I was able to help others since I know how nerve recking this decisions can be for women on epilepsy meds, and now Im glad you will be helping others as well. You private Mess are not setup/ u have it blocked it says. Yes im 34 weeks and closing in but still not feeling pressure which its great. I see the OB every week now and they just checked my keppra levels and all looked good, so Im happy. Next month march 27th is the due date but with second babies we never know when she wants to come, but Ill post it once she does get here. Ill also be looking forward to your updates. get lots of rest, and eat well. Man I love it when they move don't you, both of mines were very active and this one is non stop kicking people get so scare when they see her little hand or elbow stretch my skin...lol I dont hurt tho, you'll see once you get passed 30 weeks. take care

Last edited by 030free; 02-11-2013 at 01:41 PM.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
(female)

babyhappy HB User

Quick update: I'm now 22 weeks pregnant, still taking Keppra and Zonegran twice a day ( Keppra: 1000mg in the morning and 750mg in the evening), (Zonegran: 150mg twice a day), also folic acid 5mg and the prenatal vitamins.
I'm still having the starring spells on a daily basis sometimes its more sometimes just once, I don't know what's the reason for it. But they don't really bother me I feel good and my baby is doing good too.
I just had an other 3D ultrasound few days ago everything looks good :-).
I'm allowed to breastfeed too.
Oh and I have to correct it is not a girl its a BOY!!! :-D

Old 03-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
(female)

babyhappy HB User

Quick update: I'm now 22 weeks pregnant, still taking Keppra and Zonegran twice a day ( Keppra: 1000mg in the morning and 750mg in the evening), (Zonegran: 150mg twice a day), also folic acid 5mg and the prenatal vitamins.
I'm still having the starring spells on a daily basis sometimes its more sometimes just once, I don't know what's the reason for it. But they don't really bother me I feel good and my baby is doing good too.
I just had an other 3D ultrasound few days ago everything looks good :-).
I'm allowed to breastfeed too.
Oh and I have to correct it, is not a girl its a BOY!!! :-D

Old 03-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Im so happy your baby boy its doing great as well as you. 22 weeks wow time flies. Im already 38 and dont know where time went. So ready to meet my second baby. Now regarding your stares, I know they dont bother you but have you told your neuro? Are they not going to do an EEG atleast once before you give birth? Im so glad you can breastfeed too, thats very good for both you and baby. Well I will continue to pray for your pregnancy and hope all goes perfect until you give birth. Keep us updated and Best of luck!!

Old 03-12-2013, 01:02 AM   #10
(female)

babyhappy HB User

Hey Laura, oh yes I did told my neurologist about the spells I'm having and I am gonna have an EEG in a week, they also said to take more Keppra (250mg more) but is not helping me.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

sorry its not working but lets see what the EEG reveals and I think that after you get more into the pregnancy they should get better. I had my fast heartbeats and weird feelings that were due to the hormonal changes, but as time went on the body adjusted and all got better. I will continue to pray so you get better without having to increase the meds so much. Dont forget to get lots of rest and eat healthy. Rest should be a helping factor. Keep me posted and Godbless!

babyhappy (03-13-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 01:06 AM   #12
(female)

babyhappy HB User

Hi everyone. I finally found some time to update my situation! Well at 25th weeks of the pregnancy cause of the early contractions I spend 1,5 weeks in the hospital and did agree to take the medication to stop the contractions. As soon as I didnt felt the contractions anymore I refused to take the medicine even when the doctor came and said I have too (was on medication for 3 days). With alot of rest and prayers we made it till week 29 that was the second time where I came in the hospital cause of the early contractions again, I was supposed to take the medication again but I refused it maybe it wasnt that smart to do so but I had the feeling we will make it and we did. My starring spells didnt went away I had them even more often. I was taking 1500mg of Keppra twice a day by now and 150mg of Zonegran twice a day, folic acid and prenatals of course too. Anyway I turned my back on everyone and everything that cost me stress, even on the worries about having a seizure and this is the time where I begann to enjoy my pregnancy it was only me and my belly :-). I am sure I could make it till the week 40 but as bigger I got the more spells I had and I couldnt take more of Keppra anymore and was too afraid to take more of Zonegran. At this moment I was at the week 35+ 3, I talked to my neurologist and to the doctors at the hospital everyone did agree to do a c-section which was done on 2 days later :-). My son Bryan Anthony is healthy :-D!!! He had to stay in the incubator for 5 days but he was fine. I did breastfeed for a week and had to stop then cause they said Zonegran could harm him, they said I could reduce on breastfeeding to twice a day but I was too scared that something would happen to him and stopped on breastfeeding right away. He was born at week 35+5, 5lbs,7,3oz and 18,5 inch. By now he is two month and a week has gained a good weight of 11lbs and is 23 inch. Two weeks later I had a seizure cause of the medicine change I guess I wanted to be spell free so I can be able to take care of my son by my self and decide to stay on Keppra and go away from Zonegran. First they put me back on Valproic Acid 300mg twice a day 4 days after taking it together with 1000mg of Keppra (twice a day) I had the seizure and the spells still didnt go away. I went to see an other Neurologist and she told me there is a medication that is mostly used for children and is working only against spells the name of it is Petnidan. I gave it a try 2 days after taking it I am spell free :-), So my medication now Keppra 1000mg twice a day and Petnidan 25omg twice a day. I am able to take care of my little one all by my self day and night!!!
At this point I want to say "Thank you" to Laura: THANK YOU VERY MUCH LAURA!!! Just because of your thread about your pregnancy I had the strenght to try it again!! God blees you and your family!

The following user gives a hug of support to babyhappy:
030free (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

OMG The Lord its Wonderful! I'm in tears from reading your update, extremely excited that you went through such much but came out victorious, Thank God for that one! He has Blessed you with an angel who will give you the strength to care for him day in and day out. Regardless of the bumps on the road, you made it there and now you have your cutie pie. Continue to take the meds as prescribed. I'm very happy to see you're spell free, that's awesome! Don't feel bad for not being able to nurse your son longer, because your health comes first and I wouldn't had done it either on that medication, what matters is that he's a healthy boy now and he's striving and growing well. I pray for God to continue Blessing you and your boy! and once in a while come back and update us on his growth and your health!

Laura

The following user gives a hug of support to 030free:
babyhappy (08-20-2013)
babyhappy (08-20-2013)
Old 02-20-2014, 12:02 PM   #14
(female)

epilepsy Mom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyhappy View Post
Hello everyone, this is my second pregnancy the first one was on Valproic Acid 500mg twice a day (some of u may also know it as Depakote), my baby had spina bifida because of the medicine I took, I had a still birth at 17 weeks.
I am now 14 weeks pregnant and have done so far all the ultrasounds (for the first trimester) also the 3-D ultrasound, my baby is doing good and everything looks like it supposed to. To my medicine I am taking Zonegran 150mg twice a day and Keppra 750mg twice a day, Folic Acid 5mg and Prenatal Vitamins. I tryed to be only on one kind of medication but is not working for me and this combination does not works very good too I still have starring spells sometimes but no grand mal seizures. I hope it can help someone.
What was your outcome? My daughter is now 15 weeks pregnant and takes 200 mg of zonegran twice daily.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:05 PM   #15
(female)

epilepsy Mom HB User

What was your outcome? How is your baby? My daughter is now 15 weeks pregnant, she takes 200mg of Zonegran twice daily. She just left an appointment with a high risk OB who didn't understand why she didn't go off her meds when she wanted to get pregnant. Obviously not an epilepsy expert.

Reply Reply