It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
(female)

CoffyDrinker711 HB User
PS- lately having seizures in my sleep

Hello-
I haven't posted in a couple years, as my PS have been relatively stable. However, in the past couple months I've been having what I believe are seizures in my sleep.

It started when I would be near asleep and my eyes would start "quivering" (I don't know if it was a fast beat clonus) and it would stop on its own. This seems to have graduated to my eyes and hands and I wake up scared because I can feel it.

I'm only on 250mg depakote BID so I think it would help increase my meds. Unfortunately, I only have a GP and he's not a very good one. I have no insurance for a neurologist.

Any ideas about nocturnal or sleep seizures in adults?

thanks

CoffyDrinker

Old 03-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
(female)

Nicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB User
Re: PS- lately having seizures in my sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffyDrinker711 View Post
Hello-
I haven't posted in a couple years, as my PS have been relatively stable. However, in the past couple months I've been having what I believe are seizures in my sleep.

It started when I would be near asleep and my eyes would start "quivering" (I don't know if it was a fast beat clonus) and it would stop on its own. This seems to have graduated to my eyes and hands and I wake up scared because I can feel it.

I'm only on 250mg depakote BID so I think it would help increase my meds. Unfortunately, I only have a GP and he's not a very good one. I have no insurance for a neurologist.

Any ideas about nocturnal or sleep seizures in adults?

thanks

CoffyDrinker
Hi There,

Would it be possible to have someone sleep with you to observe what is happening? Or to set up a camera in your room when you are sleeping?
That would be the only way to know for sure.

When I used to have my tonic-clonic nocturnal seizures I would be unconscious. However, a couple of times I had an aura(simple partial seizure) which is basically a warning sign letting you know a bigger seizure is coming. All auras are simple partial seizures, but not all simple partial seizures are auras, if that makes sense.

My auras came just as I was drifting off to sleep but still fully conscious. My heart would start racing, sometimes I would see little white flashing lights, my toes would tingle and then I felt really funny, as if I was about to pass out. After that, I remember nothing, because I lose consciousness and go into a full tonic-clonic. My husband has witnessed all of my nocturnal seizures.
Sometimes I have had no warning signs. Once I had a seizure in the middle of my sleep

It is possible to twitch as you are falling alseep...this is normal, and not epilepsy. My husband has experienced this as well as my mom and other people I have talked to. You startle yourself when it happens...start to drift off to sleep, twitch, and wake yourself up, then eventually fall asleep.

Telltale signs of nocturnal tonic-clonics would be waking up with a bad headache, extreme fatigue up to 24 hrs following a nocturnal tonic-clonic, aching muscles, bitten swollen tongue, bitten sore lips, scratches on your body (face and arms).

Hope this helps.

~Adult onset epilepsy~

The Following User Says Thank You to Nicole K For This Useful Post:
CoffyDrinker711 (04-24-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
(female)

CoffyDrinker711 HB User

Hi Nicole-

Thanks for the reply, those are all really good ideas and suggestions. I am single so have no one to actually watch me sleep; the camera concept is a possibility though. Another weird component of this new evolving issue is I am also beginning to sit up in my sleep, grab out for things in my sleep- I know I'm doing it because when the physical act of doing occurs I am conscious enough to know what I am doing and I stop and go back to "sleep".

So I'm not sure what's going on, but something is. I'm 57 and have had multiple head scans and EEGs. Only DX has ever been simple partials and lots of different types of headaches.

Brains. I don't get them, I certainly don't understand my own.

Thanx and Cheers

Coffy

Old 06-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
(female)

Have questions2 HB User

I have full tonic-clonic seizures also. When I have them, its at night, when I am sleeping. Sometimes I get a warning, and sometime not. I was on Depakote for one and a half years. I was still having them just as bad. Depakote is a bad drug. It can cause blindness, tooth decay, skin problems, and many other things. I now take Lamotrigine. Since then, my seizures have decreased. It has very few side effects. Good Luck, and God Bless.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
(female)

Nicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffyDrinker711 View Post
Hi Nicole-

Thanks for the reply, those are all really good ideas and suggestions. I am single so have no one to actually watch me sleep; the camera concept is a possibility though. Another weird component of this new evolving issue is I am also beginning to sit up in my sleep, grab out for things in my sleep- I know I'm doing it because when the physical act of doing occurs I am conscious enough to know what I am doing and I stop and go back to "sleep".

So I'm not sure what's going on, but something is. I'm 57 and have had multiple head scans and EEGs. Only DX has ever been simple partials and lots of different types of headaches.

Brains. I don't get them, I certainly don't understand my own.

Thanx and Cheers

Coffy

Your welcome.

Hmmm....that is strange what you are experiencing in your sleep. It doesn't really sound like a seizure. Could your Dr. order a sleep study for you??
I was supposed to have one done, but then I changed Dr.'s, and never went through with it. I also started meds and stopped having nocturnal seizures.

It's strange because my son is sometimes sleeping in his bed sitting up and slumped forward. Also once my daughter was sleeping but appeared to be staring out her window and when I asked her what she was doing she didn't respond so I knew she was sleeping. Then I asked her to lay down and go to sleep and she said "ok" and laid back down in her bed.

Could you be dreaming and "acting" out part of your dream? I thought humans were immobilized during REM though....so I'm not too sure. Sorry.

~Adult onset epilepsy~

Old 06-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

The eye quivering is probably nystagmus, and can occur in many neurological disorders, including seizure disorders. It sounds like you may need an adustment of dose, unless these are clearly different than the seizues you were originally treated for.

Reply Reply