It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
(male)

computersat HB User
What the best drug for epilepsy

I've got an accident before 3 years ago, then after the first year the epilepsy start with me. ‎My doctor told me to use Tegretol 200mg one dosage a day, now I use it since 2 years. ‎the last time I got an epilepsy attack was 08/29/2012 (7 months) …‎
But I need to change the Drug because it make me sleepy all the time
Job: En Teacher (Primary School)

Old 03-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
(female)

Nicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB User
Re: What the best drug for epilepsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by computersat View Post
I've got an accident before 3 years ago, then after the first year the epilepsy start with me. ‎My doctor told me to use Tegretol 200mg one dosage a day, now I use it since 2 years. ‎the last time I got an epilepsy attack was 08/29/2012 (7 months) …‎
But I need to change the Drug because it make me sleepy all the time
Job: En Teacher (Primary School)
Hi There,

I would talk to your Dr. about your sleepiness. All epilepsy meds. have side effects.
My medication made me very tired in the beginning and quite moody. Things have improved though.

Different drugs are used to treat different types of seizures and dosages will relate to how frequently you were having seizures prior to medication.

So there really isn't a "best drug for epilepsy". The drug and dosage has to be tailored to you and the type of epilepsy you have and the frequency of seizures you were having...

Also, everyone is affected differently. You may experience no side effects or few side effects on a certain drug, while another person may experience terrible side effects on the same drug...it's really trial and error and only your Dr. can help you with that.

The newer drugs on the market from what I've heard have fewer and less intrusive side effects than the older seizure medications that have been around for a long time.

~Adult onset epilepsy~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: What the best drug for epilepsy

I have to agree with Nicole. There is no "best drug".

I've been on quite a range from the oldies such as Dilantin and Phenobarbital to later drugs like Depakote and Tegretol, to ones that just were released (at the time) including Zonegran and Keppra, up to now when the last drug added was Vimpat (lacosamide).

You need to talk with your doctor about this. I was on Teg for almost 30 years. I am always stunned when I hear a low dose like you mentioned. Even as a child I was on doses as high as 1600/day.

Has Tegretol XR (extended release) been mentioned at all by your neuro?

Hope they can figure out what works for you.

--Travis

Reply Reply