It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
(female)

coyotecrone HB User
weed

has anyone read up on the use of cannabis for seizures? It seems there are good results from some strains of medical marijuana especially ones that have a low THC and high CBD. I have read children with Asperger's are responding well to form of drops they are receiving, even ones with catastrophic seizures.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: weed

I was researching into that about 10 years ago. Les Grinspoons old book is a great place to start. There was a more recent book I want to say he co-wrote with case studies in it.

I never went down this road because my state never legalized it. However, your post sounds correct for the strain of plant. You want the CBD content for treating seizures. If administered orally in a food, or tea, it lasts longer in the body than if smoked. If the patient needs it immediately, based on what I read, then a few inhalations may do the trick.

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
(female)

coyotecrone HB User
Re: weed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis from MN View Post
I was researching into that about 10 years ago. Les Grinspoons old book is a great place to start. There was a more recent book I want to say he co-wrote with case studies in it.

I never went down this road because my state never legalized it. However, your post sounds correct for the strain of plant. You want the CBD content for treating seizures. If administered orally in a food, or tea, it lasts longer in the body than if smoked. If the patient needs it immediately, based on what I read, then a few inhalations may do the trick.

--Travis
Hey Travis, I am an old hippie, retired registered nurse, and am active in the movement. My source is a Pediatric nurse practitioner who worked with a collective of parents with these special children. She also recommends a book called Marijuana: Gateway to health. More science and still some anecdotal material. I am so glad that there is now science to examine the medicinal properties of the whole plant and not just look at how high you get. In fact it is showing the ratio of CBD to THC is very important. the higher the CBD the more it mitigates the THC for reducing the high. It can still have high THC but it needs the higher CBD.
I was diagnosed with seizures based on an EEg when I was 15 - 50 years ago. I never had a grand mal, but had night time spasms and would space out under stress or lack of sleep. All of this is based on two or three EEGs.
before I was an adult. I do have PTSD and fibromyalgia. I get depressed and that seems to be getting worse. The only meds I take are a low dose BP med, and stuff for reflux. I do use medibles (edible pot) mostly for sleep and sometimes for body pains.
Sorry you live where it isn't available to you. Hopefully that will change soon. There are just too many good reasons to use this plant, food, fiber and medicine are just the beginning.

Reply Reply