It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2004, 12:02 PM   #1

tenngal31 HB User
chronic fatique syndrom (epstein Barr virus)

i have had cfs for many years and blood work showed up that mine is caused by the epstein bar virus it is not contagise and there is no cure for it you can not pass it to any one else. I was told to just sleep it off and get as much rest as possible when i feel run down. hope this helps some of you suffers.
Katherine

Old 06-13-2004, 05:06 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

velvet48 HB User
Re: chronic fatique syndrom (epstein Barr virus)

well, i do not agree with this. ebstein barr can be passed from one person to the other. this is what caused my CFS and my dr told me i am contagious. just sharing a soda or drink, or using same fork, you can pass ebv to someone else. someone coughing in their hand and touching something can cause the spread of ebv as well.
yes, it is true, you are a lifer with cfs, but to just tell you to sleep it off..............
did you dr tell you that you should take vitamins to try to keep yourself going. i am taking a one a day max multi vit, b complex +c, co Q-10 (100 mg), evening primrose oil caps and i also take a garlic tablet (kyolic) as i also suffer from yeast (thrush). garlic is very good for you. if you are not taking any vitamins, i would if i were you. it took me a long time to get to feeling where i could function.
karen

Last edited by velvet48; 06-13-2004 at 05:08 PM. Reason: to add more

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2004, 09:42 AM   #3

tenngal31 HB User

thanks karen i will look into this further with my doctor i knew something didnt sound right with what they told me thanks for your help

Old 06-14-2004, 12:41 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

velvet48 HB User

oh you are most welcome. if you go to any search engine and type in ebv, you will find a lot of info on the subject. it bothers me that dr's tell us we are not contagious when we are. most of us become positive with eb as children by kissing our moms, but we are healthy. if you are not contagious then where did you pick it up from. i would ask my dr that.... LOL
take care
karen

Old 06-14-2004, 04:34 PM   #5
(female)

Sally A HB User

Most doctors have NO idea what CFS is. Get a nutritionist that specializes in it. I am 11 years into it and finally getting better.

Old 06-16-2004, 12:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

It's not the Epstein barr that you pass it's the form of Mono it comes from.
I tested Positive for EB 5 years ago and it's caused by a form of Mono I had as a kid.
When I was pregnant with my second child I had fatigue so bad I would cry and cry. They wanted to test me for Mono and I told them I already had it.
Low and behold it came back Pos. and they ran more test. I felt like a pin cushion . Conclusion was EB which is one of the only ways they can prove Chronic Fatigue.
You are right, there is nothing you can really do. It hits me if I get too worn down, sick or stressed. I try to take good care of myself and rest with two kids does not happen for me LOL
Good Luck to you all

Old 06-17-2004, 05:36 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

velvet48 HB User

i believe the mono comes from the ebv. at least this is what my dr told me. people who are positive with ebv go either way, they get mono or they get cfs. ebv is contagious.
karen

Old 07-07-2004, 09:50 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

VegasGirl HB User

EBV is only contagious while you have the mono and it's active. Then it lies dormant and isn't contagious while it's dormant.

Old 07-07-2004, 02:31 PM   #9
(female)

Leanne R HB User

Vegas girl is right.
I have the Epstein virus in my body still but I was only contageous when I was 15 when I had mono( aka glandular fever in the UK) This was 12 years ago. Has anyone got abnormal blood results with high levels of IGM or IGG, ESR or CRP just wondering cause I have. I am still fighting this illness

Old 07-24-2004, 03:47 PM   #10
(female)

foofoo65 HB User

My doctor told me yrs ago that it was in the air like the flu, so in a sense it is contagious, but that it was nick named the yuppie disease, because people were getting it from over work or when your system has been down due to illness or disease. Its out there, but most people are immune to it. My kids are 13 and 14, I have kissed them daily for all of there lives, they have stolen probably every glass of pop that I have ever poured and drank from these glasses. They are so active that without this syndrome, they would make me tired just looking at them.

Old 07-27-2004, 05:49 PM   #11

CaptainUtah HB User

With CFS your are not a lifer.. many people have conquered this problem and anyone who tries to make you believe different has someting in it for them.... medical doctors will not cure you of this problem though.

Old 08-05-2004, 04:37 PM   #12

TXperson HB User
Lightbulb Re: chronic fatique syndrom (epstein Barr virus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet48
well, i do not agree with this. ebstein barr can be passed from one person to the other. this is what caused my CFS and my dr told me i am contagious. just sharing a soda or drink, or using same fork, you can pass ebv to someone else. someone coughing in their hand and touching something can cause the spread of ebv as well.
yes, it is true, you are a lifer with cfs, but to just tell you to sleep it off..............
did you dr tell you that you should take vitamins to try to keep yourself going. i am taking a one a day max multi vit, b complex +c, co Q-10 (100 mg), evening primrose oil caps and i also take a garlic tablet (kyolic) as i also suffer from yeast (thrush). garlic is very good for you. if you are not taking any vitamins, i would if i were you. it took me a long time to get to feeling where i could function.
karen
The only time that EBV is contagious is when you have a fever. It is contracted when you have a sore throat or strep throat, while your throat is raw and you come into contact with the virus at the same time. So it is spread to others only if these same conditions are met with another person.
The EBV causes Chronic Fatigue Syndrome which causes Fibromyalgia, also EBV can cause Thyroid Disease. And the symptoms of these three diseases are very similar and often connected.
i have all three,
When it comes to Syndromes and Viruses they stay in our bodies, they may become inactive, but they are still there.

And always giving in to the feeling of needing to sleep will only cause you to need more sleep, the best remedy for that is get active doing something to get your mind off of it, our bodies do not need us to sleep 1/2 the day, which is what we will do if we give in to the feeling. i know i have done it.

The other thing to remember is to eat good well balanced meals, drink lots of water, plenty of fruits and veggies.

And the best Vitamin Supplement to take is one that i found and got approved by my doctor, is a multivitamin called >> One Source , Complete , Adult High Potency Formula, and it is inexpensive and you can find it at Walmart's and probably most other pharmacies that carry over the counter vitamins.

For the first 2 weeks take 2 a day to get it into your system and then just one a day thereafter.

Here is a list of what it has in it :
Vitamins >> A ; C ; D ; E ; K ; B6 ; B12 ;
Thiamin ; Riboflavin ; Niacin ; Folic Acid ; Biotin ; Pantothenic Acid ;
Calcium ; Iron ; Phosphorus ; Iodine ; Magnesium ; Zinc ; Selenium ;
Copper ; Manganese ; Chromium ; Molybdenum ; Chloride ; Potassium ;
Boran ; Silicon ; Tin ; Vanadium ; Lycopene ; Lutein ; CoEnzyme Q 10 ;

It contains 300% of the Daily Requirements of the B Vitamins to give energy,

i have been taking this for years, every since i found out about it, i used to take vitamins seperately, but it is so expensive that way, plus it is easy to overdose some vitamins, which to my dismay i had found that i had done. So since then i only take the One Source, i have tried other methods but nothing is as good as the One Source !!

If not for the One Source i wouldn't have the strength or the energy to do anything. It keeps me going. Even tho at times i still over do, and wear myself out, and get exhausted. i just sit it out for awhile and get some rest and then get up and go again.

i also have Scoliosis and Congestive Heart Failure, my heart pumps with about half the strength of a normal heart, so that alone makes me tired easily, but i don't give up, i can't afford to give up. i live alone and have to do everything myself.

i hope the information that i have provided is of help to you all

Old 08-09-2004, 10:36 PM   #13

ShatteredLife2 HB User

I had to give up automechanics because I can't hold a wrench anymore. I was in the military and am now suffering from a whole array of problems. Chronic fatigue syndrome is only a small part of my problems...

Old 08-16-2004, 09:39 PM   #14

marlae HB User

EBV is so misunderstood by medical doctors when it comes to CFS. First, the earlier post about CFS is true. They don't have a clue what causes the illness, just a bunch of theories. If I had nickel for every theory i read about, I be rich. There is a biological marker called RNase-L that has been in the works for a long time that looks promising, but research is still needed for this marker (and continues). It's open to the public in only one lab that I know of, but on research basis only and insurance will not cover it. And, it's not cheap. This marker may be used to determine if ones has CFS in the future.

EBV is in most of the population, most have been exposed to it sometime in our life. That's the problem with EBV, they thought that was the cause of CFS back in the late mid 80's thanks to the CDC, but then they realized that normal healthy people have EBV and feel fine. I have levels of EBV in my blood and I don't have CFIDS. I feel fine and never been sick except the common cold. My wife was diagnosed with CFS/FM, now I have Lyme on top of it which make things more complex, which came first the Chicken (CFS/FM) or the Egg (Lyme). Anyway, that tossed out the theory of EBV causing CFS.

[ removed ]

[ Healthboards is not for publishing your articles
and it is not allowed to advertise your own website.
]

Last edited by moderator2; 08-16-2004 at 11:30 PM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules

Old 08-21-2004, 08:29 PM   #15
Inactive

italys_finest18 HB User

Please I am honestly beggan you to take the western blot test from califonia try to fined a doctor that coaperates with you to order it or find it. I was diagnosed with Chronic fatigue and I never stopped looking for answers so I found out the truth. and Lyme disease is more common then you think and you would benifit from taking it. please i don't want another person to suffer from fake chronic fatgue.

Closed Thread