HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/epstein-barr-virus-ebv/)
-   -   Epstein Barr test ? cure? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/epstein-barr-virus-ebv/28619-epstein-barr-test-cure.html)

katkat 05-23-2002 01:13 PM

Epstein Barr test ? cure?

so whats the scoop? is there a test? if so what are they looking for in the sample? is there meds to take?

kat

katkat 05-23-2002 01:15 PM

more questions....is e.b. mono? is it cronic fatigue?
kat

VegasGirl 06-04-2002 12:47 PM

Epstein Barr is chronic mono, and is related to Chronic Fatigue. You go through a long and tiring bout of mono, but you never get back to your old self again. For the rest of your life, you get tired easily and get sick easily if you don't get enough rest. My doctor told me that I would never be able to hold a 40 hour a week job and he was right. I get sick too fast. Thank goodness for modeling, I can work part time and make full time money. I used to tend bar for the same reason. There IS a test for E.B. but I don't know what they are looking for. I do know your white blood cell count goes way up. There is no cure, either.

Sunflowers 06-04-2002 05:55 PM

My son was tested for Epstein Barr when he was about 7. he was positive for a past infection with EP. The test measure's the level's of IgG and IgM level's( basically, if you're currently infected OR if you've ever had a past Mono infection).I was never told that he was going to have a hard time with infection's by his doctor either. So, I'm curious to know why you were told and think that you can't hold a full time job KatKat.

Sunflowers

Sunflowers 06-04-2002 05:56 PM

sorry, meant Vegas girl

katkat 06-06-2002 08:54 AM

my husband had mono years ago before i knew him. he was diagnosed a year and a half ago with mono again. the paper work said e.barr. so i got confused....still am i guess. off and on he seems so tired like he got it back. i was wondering if he has cronic fatique syndrome. he works full time and is a real go getter when it comes to work so he isn't lazy.
kat

korken 06-08-2002 07:30 AM

Hi Kat,

Has he gone to a CFS doc yet? They should be able to help.

------------------
Take care ~Kim & Gary~

VegasGirl 06-10-2002 10:13 AM

Sunflowers, it probably depends on your immune system. Mine has always been pretty weak, just much worse since I had the Epstein Barr. I don't "think" that, I had EB at 15 and am now 30. I get weak and tired very fast and if I don't get tons of rest, I end up sick w/ some sort of flu or strep throat or something fun. I have talked to others in the past who go through the same thing I do. Must be an immune system thing, but my doctor was right on with me.

Sunflowers 06-10-2002 10:57 AM

Jeez, now I'm curious. Because my son is alway's tired....hmmn. I asked for a mono test on my son last week and was told that it wasn't nessessary.

dberry 06-23-2002 06:58 AM

I had a bad case of mono when i was 18. It lasted about 6 weeks. By the time i hit 25 I started out with chronic daily headaches and around 30 extreme tiredness and muscle and joint pains along with the daily headaches. Mono always stayed in the back of my mind but how to you get a dr rule in or out that this could be linked to the mono?

VegasGirl 07-05-2002 04:45 PM

I lived in a small town and the doctors there didn't know much about it. I had to go to a bigger city to see a doctor there and get the right diagnosis. They can test your blood now, even after several years, and see if there are dormant Epstein Barr cells in there. If there are, that could explain a lot. I NEVER feel quite "right", always a little tired and I fatigue SO easily. You just have to get plenty of rest and treat your body right! :)

karens14 08-02-2002 05:11 AM

I just found out I have epstein barr through a specific blood test for it. I have never had mono that I am aware of and I usually have tons of energy. The past year or so, I've been sick alot and I can never get enough sleep. Even after 14 hours of sleep at night, a shower and a fast drive to the bank in the morning, wipes me out and I'm ready to go back to bed again! Work is getting really hard to do. I was supposed to start nursing school soon, and I dont think I can right now.

My doctor refered me to an infectious disease doctor, and from what I am researching, I need anti-viral drugs. =(

I'll let you guys know when I see the doctor, as to what you can do for it. I just hope whatever it is they do for me, will give me the ability to function again. This is a terrible thing to have, thats for sure.