It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2003, 07:46 PM   #1

Renee016 HB User
Post EBV, CFS - WHAT IS THIS?????????????

Alright, I think I am going to lose it!!! I was diagnosed with Epstein-Barr in August of 2002 after having a sore throat for months and feeling tired all the time. Just a simple blood test - level was 7+. Doctor said it's probably CFS and prescribed me some multi-vitamins and that was it. Got no information or advice on this at all.

Meanwhile, in November I hurt my neck after raking leaves and about a week or so later started having severe weakness in my legs (felt like I had lead blocks tied to my feet). Went to orthopedist and neurologist - had MRI which showed herniated disc and diagnosed with myelopathy (damage to the nerves caused by pressure on the spinal cord). Surgery was recommended as soon as possible. Had the surgery in February and felt better for a couple of weeks but now the weakness has come back. Doctor told me could take a while for myelopathy symptoms to disappear or damage could be permanent.

My question is, could this weakness in my legs be a symptom of CFS? I only had symptoms for a few months before surgery so if they were myelopathy it should not be permanent. I just want to know what this is from, it is very frustrating! Some doctors I've seen say it could be EBV/CFS and some say Myelopathy. It is a very heavy feeling in the legs that gets worse by the end of the day. Also there is some tingling in my feet and other burning/stabbing sensations.

Anyone who has had these symptoms, I would love to hear from.

Thanks, Renee

------------------
1982 Fusion surgery for scoliosis with stainless steel Harrington Rod (T5 - L3) using pelvic bone for grafting
1999 Neck problems began
2001 Cervical Kyphosis
2003 3 Herniated Cervical Discs - C4 thru C7. One disc (C5-6) pressing on the spinal cord (no nerve root compression) causing leg weakness, tingling, burning and numbness - diagnosed with myelopathy and ACDF recommended.
2/24/03 One-Level Anterior Cervical Discectomy with donor bone and titanium plate (C5-6)
2002 Diagnosed with Epstein-Barr (level was 7+) and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
2003 3 Herniated Cervical Discs - C4 thru C7. One disc (C5-6) pressing on the spinal cord (no nerve root compression) causing leg weakness, tingling, burning and numbness - diagnosed with myelopathy and ACDF recommended.
2/24/03 One-Level Anterior Cervical Discectomy with donor bone and titanium plate (C5-6)
Post 2/03 - Symptoms returned and worsening. Weakness in my legs is like walking against a 50 mph wind - pain in lower back and all the way down my right leg to the ankle - vertigo, muscle spasms in trunk and legs
7/03 EEG, BAERS and MRI of brain all normal
7/03 MRI of lumbar spine showed mild herniated disc (L4/5) with moderate to severe DDD and edema in the endplates. HOLDING OUT FOR ARTIFICIAL DISC REPLACEMENT!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2003, 11:15 AM   #2

carmfaye HB User
Are you still around Renee?

Closed Thread