It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2006, 11:10 PM   #1
(female)

Traumatized HB User
Eye pain anyone? EBV and HHV6

Dear all,

I feel like a pc that is overloaded with viruses. I have EBV that is fading away but has affected my livers, spleen and lungs already. HHV 6 is now on the rise in my body. I had a nasty case of parotitis that has given me extreme dental pain that doen't want to subside.
After a massive attack of facial pain, sinus pain and tingling one of my eyes has started to hurt. I feel too young to lose my eyesight. Anyone else have or had this problem? What can be done to slow the virus down? I feel like it is eating up more and more parts of my body. I am exhausted and ill from eating which makes it difficult to stay strong. My doctor didnt believe me so I am on the hunt for a new one before my eye is beyond saving.
Thanks,
Take care

Old 04-08-2006, 07:27 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User
Re: Eye pain anyone? EBV and HHV6

I know your post is a little old, but have you seen an infectious disease doctor the EBV???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2006, 10:57 AM   #3
(female)

Traumatized HB User

Dear Natalie...
Im still battliing...I can not believe it. I think I am going to go blind before any one figures this out. I think it is viral, possibly tick related...tularemia, I have tested negative for borreliosa (spelling). My other problem (you know what I mean...) is secondary at the moment. My lungs and salivary glands start to ache when the "thing" starts to come alive in my left submandibular gland. It may be Parinouds syndrome ...I dont know...I just do not want to go blind!! I am in despair.

Old 04-12-2006, 04:34 PM   #4
(male)

Aristo HB User

So you had a recent bout of EBV that has concluded now? What do you mean your HHV-6 is on the rise? Does that mean you that your IgG titers are rising? If you have active/reactivating herpes virus infections, it might be possible that you are also having herpes simplex or VZV viral reactivation in some nerves (face, eye), which could cause you facial pain, numbness and temporary blindness. If this is the case, anti herpes drug like valtrex might be useful to you. I would bring up the possibility of a herpes simplex reactivation up with your doctor.

Old 04-15-2006, 11:38 AM   #5
(female)

Traumatized HB User

Hello again,
Aristo,
You seem to knot something about herpes viruses…
I have problem convincing doctors that something in the herpes area is not right. EBV is going down and there are signs of HSV1 and 2 but I am not so sure about how to read these things…if I am not mistaken, 1 and 2 are latent. HSV6 has been awaken by some bad meds I had in the summer, Carbamezepinine (can’t spell it). I was prescribed it for supposed Trigeminal neuralgia but rather than helping, it caused general lymphedenopathy and I started to suspect that it reawoke HSV6 after reading a list of meds that people with latent HSV6 should avoid. Many drs laughed at me when I suggested testing for it…they all focused on the dental problems I seemed to have. That is what is strange with me, the Herpes has attacked my facial nerves and caused me tremendous dental problems. I had all of my wisdom teeth extracted to eliminate them as the cause and of course it has changed nothing and in fact, made things worse as I am worried that something is going on in the extraction sites because of the viral issue. At the moment, it seems the lower left extraction site all the way to my first molar is concealing something in the jaw, what I call the trigger area, where all hell always breaks loose from. The facial pain and “thing” traveled from this area into my eyes and sinuses. I typically swell on this area and go half deaf other than the blurred vision. My dentist is convinced that something other than a bad tooth has caused osteomyelitis. He is doing what he can to help but without any direct connections with an oral surgeon in this country, I am lost and he is also helpless.
My question then is, since I am having troubles finding a dr who will co-operate with me, how dangerous is all of this until I get the proper meds? Mind you, I think I contracted HSV 1 and 2, 4 years ago and the EBV has been lurking for about a year, the HSV since last summer. The symptoms have been so strange and the dental problems mixed into it have made it so difficult to pinpoint but now it is crystal clear to me just need a dr who sees it the same way. Ridiculous system. My lungs are on fire and ache, I get regular chest pains, a dead arm or leg, severe stabbing burning pain in me feet and more goodies…I am convinced I had a spell of hepatitis A or B, I have no idea, 1 month ago but the Dr I had been seeing slammed the door in my face (literally) before any tests were run because I annoyed him. It has been getting worse since Christmas.
Overall, I am a mess. Any feedback will be of great help.
Thanks a million

Old 04-24-2006, 02:26 PM   #6
(male)

Aristo HB User

Hi Traumatized,

I really dont know much about herpes viruses other than a little about my own bout of HHV-6 and HHV-7 mononucleosis. Most of what I learned came from talking to the father of a friend of mine, who is a professor of virology and who has spent most of his career studying lymphotropic herpes viruses. I was lucky enough to have him as a source of advice during my EBV/CMV-negative mononucleosis from hell with associated hepatitis episode which never seemed to go away. The only thing I can say about my experience was that it was by far the most painful of my life, making the worst flu I had ever had look like a complete joke by comparison, and one which never seemed to go away (I'm finally better after almost 2 years).

I can't really comment much on your case but it seems you were unlucky enough to have come into contact with a few herpes viruses over a short amount of time. The nerve problems might be partially attributed to HSV-1 or VZV, but the hepatitis and lymphadenopathy could be a result of EBV, CMV or HHV-6. Maybe you are still recovering from the EBV infection, or maybe you are reactivating HHV-6 due to some allergic reaction.

One thing my father's friend mentioned, although he has since stopped research into this, is that he thinks, in addition to certain drugs like carbamzepine, that there are numerous environmental triggers for EBV and HHV-6 reactivation that could include pollens and molds. He states that many people actually reactivate these viruses briefly a few times per year.

I think (although I have no real justification for saying this) that since you might have recently aquired these herpes viruses, that reactivation might occur more easily as your viral reservoirs continue to diminish and your immune system takes better control of the situation. As an example, I have friend who is a machinist who used to get VZV reactivations in his eye as a result of the lubricating oil he used. This would cause him to go temporarily blind in one eye, but the frequency of these 'outbreak's eventually diminished in time. Maybe you really just need to hang in there, be patient, and let all of these problems go away on their own as your body adjusts. I know that might be difficult, but that is the attitude I have tried to take as I experience a roller coaster of symptoms during my reconvalescence from the acute HHV-6.

Last edited by Aristo; 04-24-2006 at 02:32 PM.

Old 04-27-2006, 10:43 AM   #7
(female)

Traumatized HB User

Hi Aristo,

Thanks for your helpful info. It is food for thought.
The whole thing is just debilitating because you never know when the next attack is due. I can not plan long-term so it is frustrating. I can feel an attack coming on today so I know the weekend will be a pleasant one full of back pain, trigeminal neuralgia, nausea and more goodies.
Otherwise, I acquired HHV 6 when I was 2 years old, HHV 1 and 2 (I am guessing here...) probably 4 years ago and mono a year ago. I have no idea when the CMV came in. Plus, the mumps this past xmas. I am a walking mess but I am doing what I can to boost my immune system. What did you do/are doing to help your body?
Gotta run,
Thanks again,
Take care

Old 05-02-2006, 10:28 AM   #8
(male)

twobuck24 HB User

I recently have been experiencing the same symptoms. i have pains and my one eye feels blurry. I am trying to learn as much as I can about hhv6 also. I wish you the best of luck.

Closed Thread