It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2006, 06:49 PM   #1
(male)

denzden HB User
Epstein Barr Virus/Glandular fever

Can You have a sexual relationship with someone who has had epstein barr virus/ glandular fever. Would I be putting myself at risk? is it worth it? Can I take any precautions or is it like playing russian roulette. I don't know if I have ever had it or have it. Thanks.

Old 06-26-2006, 01:05 PM   #2
(male)

Aristo HB User
Re: Epstein Barr Virus/Glandular fever

If you're going to filter out partners based on EBV seropositiviy be prepared to eliminate more than 9 out of 10 people. Almost everybody eventually becomes infected, so I don't really think you should be concerned about it. You most likely are already infected yourself, anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denzden
Can You have a sexual relationship with someone who has had epstein barr virus/ glandular fever. Would I be putting myself at risk? is it worth it? Can I take any precautions or is it like playing russian roulette. I don't know if I have ever had it or have it. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2006, 04:52 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

AussieTam HB User

I had that last year, and my partner didn't catch it (and he was brave enough to keep on kissing me lol)

It's fairly common, I wouldn't worry about it ... of course if you've got concerns about sexual health, make sure you use full protection

Tam

Old 07-02-2006, 05:58 AM   #4
(male)

denzden HB User

Thanks for the information I will follow your advice

Old 08-01-2006, 12:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Hi,

EBV is NOT Glandular Fever. EBV causes Glandular Fever but the majority of the population has had EBV. It is very common.

Glandular Fever is caused by EBV AND Monoculeosis (MONO) and this is why it is called MONO. Your partners can become infected with it but chances are they already had Glandular Fever or EBV as a child and didn't have any symptoms. In this case they will not get GF.

Old 08-02-2006, 12:48 PM   #6
(male)

Aristo HB User

I think things should be clarified, as this post doesnt seem to be completely accurate. Mononucleosis is a term that is often used to descibe a set of clinical symptoms and changes in the blood, one of which is an increased number of circulating monocytes from which the condition derives its name. This syndrome, which is usually chracterized by one or all of the symptoms of fatigue, fever, lymphadenopathy and sore throat was first associated with acute infection with the Epstein-Barr (HHV-4) virus, however it turns out that these symptoms and changes are often typical with numerous other acute viral infections. Acute cytomegalovirus(HHV-5) and HHV-6 (both viruses closely related to EBV) are very common infections and can cause syndromes which can be clinically indistinguishable from EBV associated 'mono' . Some doctors will refer to this as 'CMV or HHV-6 induced mononucleosis." So, again the term 'mono' can refer to the syndrome rather than the undelying viral cause.

When people say they have 'mono', they typically mean they have the symptoms of a primary EBV infection which can really only be confirmed through a blood test. Most confirmations are done through a test which looks for heterophile antibodies, although such antibodies might not always be present depending on the timing of the test, the person and the virus responsible for the condition. If one has the symptoms of mono, and their doctor comes back and tells them they are 'negative', they should ask specifically what test was administered to come to that conclusion and make sure that negative result is not just based on a heterophile monospot test. Causes of heterophile-negative mononucleosis include,as mentioned CMV, HHV-6, various hepatitis viruses etc. Someone with the symptoms of 'mono' with a negative heterophile test, and who wants to get to the bottom of their condition, should have viral antibody titer tests to EBV, CMV and HHV-6 performed, and perhaps to hepatitis viruses if there is liver dysfunciton. I wish my doctors, who insisted I had 'mono' knew this, as they failed to test me for HHV-6 which indeed was the cause of my mononucleosis, and which I didnt discover until months later and constant thoughts of 'what the hell is wrong with me?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by _mystictiger_
Hi,
Glandular Fever is caused by EBV AND Monoculeosis (MONO) and this is why it is called MONO. Your partners can become infected with it but chances are they already had Glandular Fever or EBV as a child and didn't have any symptoms. In this case they will not get GF.

Old 08-16-2006, 01:35 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Ronnie99 HB User

Aristo: What were your symptoms with your HHV-6 infection?

Old 08-16-2006, 10:30 PM   #8
(male)

Aristo HB User

Initially, night sweats, malaise and very severe headache, particulaly upon wakeup in the morning. After about a week, I started experiencing dizziness and felt light-headed, eventually having a feeling like the outer sheath of my brain was burning. I attribute this to mild HHV-6 encephalitis. Soon thereafter major fatigue set in, and tests revealed liver disfunction and a depressed lymphocyte count (HHV-6 efficiently replicates in CD4 lymphocytes). The liver disfunction (ALT 800) didn't really become apparent to me until about a month into the infection when I experienced nausea, and pain under my right rib. The strange thing was that I never really developed much of a fever, never had a sore throat, but felt strong malaise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie99
Aristo: What were your symptoms with your HHV-6 infection?

Last edited by Aristo; 08-16-2006 at 10:32 PM.

Closed Thread