It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2007, 12:09 PM   #1
(female)

KateTheRiot HB User
Questions...EBV, etc.

My family and I have been battling Lyme for many years. I pulled the tick off my youngest when he was 5, the bite swelled and inflamed, but the doc refused to treat him because the bloodwork came back negative. It was sent to the usual insurance-affiliated lab. That son is now 14.

Some of us have been on oral antibiotics for 18-20 months, because IV therapy is no longer allowed since the lawsuits. While the antibiotics helped alleviate most symptoms, they did not resolve the entire condition. As of Dec., I felt that my life was draining away and that I would not be around much longer. I began supplemental therapy WITH the antibiotic I was on--generic Vantin--and saw significant results. I was forced to discontinue meds due to insurance/prescription plan mishandling and, after two weeks off meds, had original symptoms back, including those for co-infection.

To my point: What should I look for to determine if my symptoms are now EBV-related or herpes or chlamydia p.? We all tested + for EBV. What Rx do I ask for? How do I proceed?

Note: current doc seems to be the usual "doesn't know much and won't treat for long", so I need help with that, too. I have to be able to inform HIM, and I probably need to find a real LLMD. I asked about Jemsek in another thread. We were seeing Steven Streit in NJ before we moved to NC.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:32 PM   #2
(male)

cappy7 HB User
Re: Questions...EBV, etc.

Hi Kate,

Have you tried any natural protocols? If not, you might want to look into this. There are a few good ones out there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2007, 01:56 PM   #3
(female)

KateTheRiot HB User

After I posted, I realized I wasn't very clear. I am taking antibiotics PLUS alternative therapy including herbals, vitamins, and minerals. I take about 30 different things to cover all the symptoms--I progressed to late stage with nearly all symptoms before being correctly diagnosed.

I read the book Healing Lyme by Stephen Harrod Buhner, and I HIGHLY recommend it--a virtual "bible" for Lyme and its treatment. Also, he does not engage in the "antibiotics-v-naturals" debate. He simply tells you what works, how much, for how many people, and why. Lots of documentation and research.

After I combined the two approaches, I experienced significant improvement to the point of almost all symptoms being gone. Then the prescription plan lost my Rx twice, gave the doc's office a hard time about calling it in, and cost me nearly two hours on the phone trying to motivate them to give me the med. They still haven't shipped it, and this began Feb. 12.

Since being denied the Vantin for two weeks, almost all symptoms have re-emerged. This tells me I'm not in remission after 20 months on meds, but it brings up questions such as: "Why did the herbals alleviate symptoms, but when the Rx is omitted, symptoms return?" and "Could there be something else going on besides the Lyme and Babesia?"

Old 02-28-2007, 02:14 PM   #4
(male)

cappy7 HB User

I bought Buhner's book a few weeks ago and have been on the core protocol for a week, plus I've been on abx for 3 months. My current course runs out in a few weeks and I think I'm going to just stay on the core protocol along with other vitamins and minerals I'm taking. I don't feel like dealing with the yeast problems abx bring on. Never really saw an improvment until I started taking the herbs. We'll see what happens. Is Vantin an abx?

Old 02-28-2007, 05:31 PM   #5
(female)

KateTheRiot HB User

Yes, Vantin is an abx. I take the generic which is cefpodoxime. My 19yod also takes this. Two sons have been on various abx for many months. Youngest was on abx for 18 months, was taken off in August because he seemed to be in remission, but he is symptomatic again.

I had hoped to be able to stay off the abx and use only the naturals, but I feel like I'm having a major herx without having begun a new abx or protocol.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Hi,

From what I understand, by adulthood, 100% of the population tests positive for EBV. Not 99%, not 99.9%, but 100%. This was according to the CDC. My doctor says he has never encountered an adult who did not test positive for EBV antibodies. This means that virtually everyone has been exposed to EBV at some time.

Closed Thread