It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2007, 11:32 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User
Question Epstein Barr and Fibro

Hi All!

I have read a few posts where some of us here have had EBV tests run and have come back as "activated" or "elevated" EBV results.

It seems to me that EBV and Fibro have some sort of connection. Research on the .Net contridicts this most times. But my doc told me that everyone carries EBV in them, usually from a childhood illness like the mumps, it remains inactive until some kind of infection triggers it, then it stays "active" for the remainder of our lives or for a looooong time. It's nothing really, he says, but it can lead to complications of other conditions. And it is what causes Mono. That's why EBV is passed through saliva.

I was just wondering how many of us here have had the EBV test and had it come back with "active" or "elevated" results. Just curious.

Love to all,
tk

Old 03-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #2
(female)

sunny47 HB User
Re: Epstein Barr and Fibro

I had mine tested as part of my Fibro work up and parts came back sky high - not the acute part but the others were high and some very high. The doctors said, as you said, it is from the past as long as not acute.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2007, 02:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Hi TK,

I think if you had the $$ to test us all carefully, you would find, as other researchers have found with FMS & CFS, that there is a significant subgroup that has high titers of latent pathogens. EBV is one, but there are a number of other offenders.

The important thing is that this is being recognized by researchers & progress is being made on treating with good results in some cases. However, it may not be that the bugs are the "root cause," which is more likely something to do with genetics & environment & how those things, as root causes, affect our ability to eradicate -- or not, the latent viruses.

Best wishes.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmhar View Post
Hi TK,

I think if you had the $$ to test us all carefully, you would find, as other researchers have found with FMS & CFS, that there is a significant subgroup that has high titers of latent pathogens. EBV is one, but there are a number of other offenders.

The important thing is that this is being recognized by researchers & progress is being made on treating with good results in some cases. However, it may not be that the bugs are the "root cause," which is more likely something to do with genetics & environment & how those things, as root causes, affect our ability to eradicate -- or not, the latent viruses.

Best wishes.

I agree! WHY do those of us with FM and CFS have active EBV? There's gotta be a link somewhere. The norm is that 90% of the population carry the EBV inactively and function fine in every day life with no conditions, but for some reason, those of us with FM and CFS have the EBV activated. Why? The big question: needs more research for sure.
tk

Old 03-12-2007, 01:54 PM   #5
(female)

FANNtasy3 HB User

I just pulled a copy of my blood work from when I was dxed. My EBV tested positive 3.99 whatever that means, but is noted from an old infection. I do agree there is a connection to the EBV but, I am standing on the platform that we are predisposed to these conditions through genetics. I think our life of illnesses, inoculation, traumas and infections open strands to our defunked DNA to come rescue our bodies from these stressers and because its defunked, the immune fighters our bodies release behave more like the three stooges, and aren't coded to do their job correctly.
Lord knows my health history is a tapestry, something ain't right but, Im not willing to give the EBV any clout to being a major corporal general in this war.
Only my opinion.
Feel well folks, Felicia

Old 04-24-2007, 04:48 PM   #6
(female)

merphi1024 HB User

I too was dxed with EBV but that was a long time ago when I kept getting mono about 3 years in a row. I think I'll make it a point to ask my rheumy when I go see him next about the connection.

Closed Thread