It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 04:32 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

bigstan HB User
Lyme and EBV

Hi, I have another post. Last week they did an Epstein-Barr virus blood test. My results were extremely high. These are the results:

EBV-EA (IGG) 47.5 U/ML Over 11.0 U/ML or higher Positive

EBV -EBNA IGG over >600 U/ML Over 21.9 is Positive

EBV VCA IGG over > 750 U/ML Over 21.9 is Positive

The report suggest that this is an reactivation of the latent virus.

These results just confuse me even more. I had mononucleous in 1984. Is it possible that Lyme can reactivate a past virus? If anyone knows I'd appreciate the help. It's no wonder why I feel like garbage fighting two different diseases.

Last edited by bigstan; 08-15-2007 at 04:33 PM.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:56 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User
Re: Lyme and EBV

I have the same problem. They tried to tell me that I had mono again last year. The highest normal level was <100...mine was 2338. From what I've heard it's failry typical to have high EBV and have Lyme's Disease. My LLMD said that old viruses will reactivate b/c the immune system is compromised from Lyme.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Hi BigStan...this is what I try telling people ..not only do you need to be tested for the co-infections but you truly need to be tested and treated also for Epstein Barr and Cytomeglovirus, and any other herpes that our bodies hold. Please read up on these if you haven't already. I broke out with shingles on my rear end for flippin years...Doctors told me ah don't worry about it. So I didn't .WELL herpes my doctor and I do beleive weather it is the EBV or the CMV virus or whatever other one has invaded my eyes and brain and blood vessels in my head. Also my lungs. So not only have I dealt and possbily still dealing with the Lyme, babesisa, bartonella, Chlamydia pnuemonia bacteria, and whatever else that the test didn't pick up ...I am now dealing with getting these herpe virus's under control that no one would put me on an antiviral before...

Yes herpe virus's stay in your system and they lay dorminant until our bodies immune systems run down or stress or poor nutrition ect

You might also want to read over on the Chronic Fatigue board. The doctor I see now deals with these virsu's and also the Chlamydia Pnumoniae bacteria.

You may also want to read up on Dr. Charles Stratton and Dr. Shoemaker (think I spelled his name right) .

have you been put on any antiviral? I know some people have problems with them I have read here on the board. I haven't ..so like any medication watch for the side effects. It is either take Valtrex and Valcyte or be blind, mental hospital paralyxes...ect...herpe's are just as deadly and crippling as these dang bacterias.

Never ending battle....

Hope this helps you some...

Give Big Stan a pat on the head for me...you may want to teach him how to whsiper...hehe...I read your other post...

Take Care of yourself...

Old 08-15-2007, 11:48 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

bigstan HB User

Great, I had know idea that EBV is realated to herpes. Now I can spend more time on the internet reading everything I need to know about EBV. Standishtrio and JoJo have you both been treated by antivirals? Do LLMD's treat EBV and Lyme with antivirals and antibiotics at the same time? JoJo I can only imagine what you have been through. The co-infections are the next test for me.

Thanks for the input. Get your rest and get well soon.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Hi, actually the doctor that treated me for Lyme had me on acylovir. Which does help with some herpe virus's but like this ding dang bacteria (s) not all of them can be treated with the same antiviral. Common uses that I have found now is Valtrex is for Epstein Barr (EBV) and Valcyte is used for Cytomeglovirus (CMV).

IN 1999 my head on the top around my soft spot would swell up between my scalp and skull. And it would just through me into this real crazy mode. They would swell up around my monthly's and the FULL MOON. crazy uh? yeah try telling doctors about that one...hahaha...I did have other raised spots that would move around my head. The doc I was seeing at the time was treating another girl for Lyme and he said she also had some raised places on her head but her's went away with treatment. So couple years ago he went into retirement and tried setting me up with another doctor ...but of course the guy didn't want to touch me cause my test NEVER showed a true CDC positive...I didn't know about this board at the time and didn't have all the great info that everyone shares. SO I had to find some doctor that treated with antibiotics. And yes I continued to have the swelling and the crazy spells and put in ER a few times. And it did have to be put in my medical record NOT to put me in a mental hospital down the hill cause my problem was illness related...SO...I turned to a doctor that dealt with Fibro and Chronic Fatigue. Highly intelligent man. Does research at Stanford himself. And is into research of bacteria (s), Virus (s) and microbacterium (s).

He treats Chlamydia Pnumoniae bacteria for he feels this bacteria is the main cause for Fibro patients. And he treats EBV, CMV and Thyroid problems as Chronic Fatigue. I have been seeing him for about 3 years. The C.P. bacteria and Lyme are treated with the same antibiotics. Just he treats with a lower dose. My main complaint has always been the right side of my head feeling like someone had there hand there squeezing it. And it being extremly dark, it is hard to explain. I lost the feeling for hot and cold for taste, smells, emotions for awhile and some other things. I've had the floaters in my eyes, pretty much gone away now. But the right eye I just knew something was wrong. eye pressure pain, fuzziness that comes and goes. Anyway I have talked and talked to the doctor and yes we finally connected on what we were talking about. He says that bacteria (s) and virus's LOVE to live in the temporal artery ...OH MY GOSH with my researching on line. that is exactly what is causing some of my problems. So for 6 months he had me on Valtrex...things started lighting up a little. Then since I also have had high titers all these years for CMV I asked him about a month ago to please put me on Valcyte. (very expensive) couple thousand a month. I think I see a little tiny improvement with it so far. My doctor feels that yes I have herpe virus (s) up in my head or bacteria (s) or microbacteriums. Or combinations of them... So we are just hitting all the basis.

So this is kind of my experience with herpe virus(s) they can kill ...and cause major physical problems as well. Scary stuff ...Yes you can be treated with antibiotics and antivirals at the same time. I highly recommmend it after what I have gone through. don't let any doctor tell you just as with Lyme that herpe virus's can't cause major problems. In most cases they go dormaint and cause no problems. But in others they reactivate over and over and over. The side effects sound horrible with the antivirals as I stated before. Please be aware of them. To me just like co-infections, if they aren't treated your going to take longer to heal...just another needle in that haystack...

Ahhh my morning venting sessions. You may while you are reading up on things read up on the Chlamydia Pnumoniae bacteria. This is spread even easier than Lyme. Through sneezing, coughing ect. It has cells and different stages of life also. Studies are showing that it can be the cause to M.S., demintia, alsheirmers, fibro, some cancers, ect, ect. Crazy isn't it!?

Happy reading , hope you find feel better soon.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:30 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User

The ID I was with at the time wouldn't put me on an anti-viral. I forgot to mention it to my LLMD so I'll have to wait a couple months until I see him again.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:44 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Standishtrio you may want to read over the doctors I mentioned in my first post. And possibly print out some of the information. Maybe it will help to get your doctor to treat you. For some reason doctors don't want to treat it. Virus's don't go away, but from what I have read you can put them back into remission. Or under control I guess is another way of putting it.

Hope your feeling good today

Old 08-16-2007, 06:49 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User

I definitely do that. I'll probably need to get my EBV levels checked again to see if they are still ungodly high...I'm sure they are.

I've actually noticed the past couple of days I haven't been so crabby. I actually was, dare I say.....happy? It's been so long since I felt...happiness... I really think the Lyme's is in control of my mood swings...it's like the little buggars flip a "angry switch" in my head.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:57 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think we all learn just how amazing our bodies are through all of this...and how these intruders affect us. I am smiling to hear that you can feel "Happy" today. We love those happy emotions. Enjoy it!

Sending you hugs...

Do you chart down your daily emotions, aches, ect. each day of the month. And then compare them with the next month and a few months down the road? This is how I found my pattern of alot of the things I do. periods, full moons ect. pretty trippy what we go through.

Keep Smiling!

Old 08-16-2007, 07:15 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User

I been keeping notes on when I notice new symptoms or when things get worse. Problem I run into...I've felt so bad for so long, I really don't know know what it's like to feel good. So, it's hard to chart when the symptoms I feel everyday feel "normal" now. I don't know if that makes sense.

Closed Thread