It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
(female)

DrDidNotHelp HB User
Do I have Chronic Mono, Chronic EBV or CVF?

I have not been feeling well for quite some time. A friendly finally talk me in to having blood work. I somewhat thought I had a thyroid issue, due to the symptoms and my mom's thyroid issues. My GYN performed the works (metabolic panel, thyroid, glucose, etc.) and everything came out ok. I questioned my primary care physician and he reveiwed my lab results and determined I need to be tested for Mono. My results are as follows:

EBV Ab VCA, Igm = 0.4
EBV Early Antigen Ab, IgG = 2.04H
EBV Ab VCA, IgG = 7.1H
EBV Nuclear Antigen Ab, IgG = 7.7H

My doctor then told me I probably had Chronic Mono, Chronic EBV which was formally know as CVF. He then went off on a tangent about diagnosing some kid with Mono and the kid's mom telling the whole town he was a quack. He seem angrier and I was almost afraid to question him further. I am looking into seeing an internist or dietian, but in the mean time can anyone help me? What do my results mean? Do I have Chronic Mono, Chronic EBV or CFV?

The following user gives a hug of support to DrDidNotHelp:
naynay38261 (04-18-2011)
Old 04-16-2010, 07:10 PM   #2
(female)

DrDidNotHelp HB User
Re: Do I have Chronic Mono, Chronic EBV or CVF?

Also, he told me their was no cure, nothing I could take for it and I just needed to deal with it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2010, 03:03 AM   #3
(female)

annieparrish HB User

you have cfs I got mono at 50 and It will never go away but it isnt active anymore
so you are just plan old tired all the time.
the ownly thing I have found that helps me is vit.b shots then I get IV vitamins twice a nmonth.
good luck

Old 01-16-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

lisamariemoon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDidNotHelp View Post
I have not been feeling well for quite some time. A friendly finally talk me in to having blood work. I somewhat thought I had a thyroid issue, due to the symptoms and my mom's thyroid issues. My GYN performed the works (metabolic panel, thyroid, glucose, etc.) and everything came out ok. I questioned my primary care physician and he reveiwed my lab results and determined I need to be tested for Mono. My results are as follows:

EBV Ab VCA, Igm = 0.4
EBV Ab VCA, IgG = 7.1H

My doctor then told me I probably had Chronic Mono, Chronic EBV which was formally know as CVF. He then went off on a tangent about diagnosing some kid with Mono and the kid's mom telling the whole town he was a quack. He seem angrier and I was almost afraid to question him further. I am looking into seeing an internist or dietian, but in the mean time can anyone help me? What do my results mean? Do I have Chronic Mono, Chronic EBV or CFV?
ebv is linked to chronic fatigue syndrome.its symptoms include exhaustion thats not resolved with rest or sleep,brain fog,insomnia,digestive problems,anxiety,flu like symptoms,sore joints and muscles,the list is long,thats the most common complaints.thats what i have,i also tested pos.for ebv.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
(male)

wigs123 HB Userwigs123 HB User

Sorry to hear your not feeling well. I have CFS. Click on Find more posts by wigs123 and read Things that helped me with CFS. Hopefully something in there will help you.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #6
(male)

lombardi6 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDidNotHelp View Post

EBV Ab VCA, Igm = 0.4
EBV Ab VCA, IgG = 7.1H

I don't know if it will mean anything to you or not, but for reference here are the results of my latest blood work compared to yours:

EBV Ab VCA, Igm = 0.2
Antigen Ab, IgG = <0.2
EBV Ab VCA, IgG = >8.0
EBV Nuclear Antigen Ab, IgG = >8.0

I have been battling chronic EBV since having a severe case of mono in my late teens. I am now 32 years old, but I wasn't officially diagnosed until about 6 years ago. At that point I changed my lifestyle and began taking better care of myself. I try to stay on a regular routine as far as therapy goes, but everyday life gets in the way and I tend to sway off off course periodically. Fortunately for me, the virus isn't as debilitating for me as it is for many others, but I do experience many of the symptoms known to accompany the virus:

-Occasional flu-like symptoms...sore throat, body aches, fever, chills, feeling weak.
-Fatigue...never feeling fully rested, difficulty waking up in the morning, drowsy periods throughout the day. (Trouble sleeping sometimes even though I'm exhausted.)
-Etc...

I have also been diagnosed with depression, hypothyroidism, and severe allergies; which some health professionals feel are inter-related to one another as well as EBV. My "therapy" regimen is as follows based on the advice of my doctors:

-Valtrex (Valcyclovir) 3 times/day
-Super B-Complex 3 times/day
-Vitamin D 3 times/day
-Vitamin C 3 times/day
-Fish Oil 3 times/day
-Echinacea 3 times/day
-L-Lysine 3 times/day
-Vitamin A 3 times/day
-Vitamin E 3 times/day
-Magnesium 3 times/day
-Milk Thistle 3 times/day
-L-Carnitine 3 times/day
-B-12 injections 3 times/week
-Allegra D 1 time/day (allergies)
-Allergy injections 2 times/week (allergies)
-Cytomel 3 times/day (thyroid)
-Zoloft 1 time a day (depression)
-Xanax as needed (insomnia)
Obviously the dosages will vary based on the individual and recommendations of doctors.

Those are the core medications and supplements that I take on a regular basis, but I experiment with other vitamins, minerals, herbs and amino acids here and there. In addition I like to drink a protein shake in the morning and drink different types of juices throughout the day. I eat a relatively healthy diet, but by no means am I health freak in terms of avoiding certain foods. I have normal blood sugar levels, blood pressure and my weight is normal for my height and age, but I do have slightly elevated cholesterol.

I also got into bodybuilding several years ago, but have been recovering from a torn rotator cuff so I haven't worked out in over a year. Even though it is a struggle to find the energy to get to the gym initially, I definitely notice a positive change in my overall "feeling" after getting back into the exercise routine for awhile.

My advice is to find a doctor who deals with these type of medical conditions on a regular basis and is willing to thouroughly test you for all and any possible medical issues. It was actually my allergy doctor who diagnosed me with EBV as well as hypothyroidism. My family doctor never even suggested testing for either.

Hope this helps...Good Luck!

Old 03-28-2011, 03:03 PM   #7
(female)

katyhilton HB User

For so long I was told that there was nothing that could be done. I saw so many doctors. Finally I found a doctor who gave me a comprehensive immune system test... Which I hear is rarely done. Ok... I have active EBV in me effecting me neurologically. I test negative for current EBV because the way they test is by looking for antibodies. My immune system has stopped working. It gave up. But EBV produces a protine cell that shows up all over - so anyway she gave me some immunizations (like tetanus) and my body produced no antibodies against them. I am now getting glutathione ATP shots weekly and waiting to hear if I get approved for IV therapy by my insurance. I notice slow improvement. The shots should eventually jump start my immune system. I'm such a wreck... But now this all makes sense. I have post viral chronic fatigue immune dysfunction syndrome. Most doctors won't touch it - since there IS no government approved treatment options. You have to find that special doctor who is ahead of the game. This same doc was helping AIDS patients when that first came about, when nobody would help them. She will never tell someone that she cannot help. I have hope now. If your doc tells you there is no hope, that means it's time to find another doc - even if it is hours away. Not many docs out there for this awful problem. Finally... After 16 months - I found one that IS going to help. She told me she will - she promised to do everything she knows to end this nightmare. I would have gave up a long time ago if it wasn't for my children. Suicide would have been tempting if I didn't have my babies... I need to get better... My babies need their mommy back. Give up on your doctor, not on you.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
(female)

naynay38261 HB User

U know back 6 years ago my dr did a test and he came back told me I hade chronic ebv. Ok back in 1992 I had mon but it went dormant. I mean I didn't get that sick like I should have. So what I'm asking will I have this the rest of my life as well I wonder my self.......help me here

Old 04-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #9
(female)

katyhilton HB User

I don't think anyone here can answer that for you. You need a doc who has a clue. That is hard to find. Took me forever. Find a doc that treats fibromyalgia and cfids - one who tests and treats with the intent of kicking it's butt for good. One who has a track record of accomplishing such. Immunologist, family practitioner, internal medicine, whatever... And feel lucky if you find one anywhere near you. They are apparently few and far between.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:06 PM   #10
(female)

naynay38261 HB User

Well I have fibromyalgia too so I don't know either about ebv. Ill just have to ask. But that u so much for ur time.

Closed Thread